Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Please help!! Gigabyte UD4P

Default Please help!! Gigabyte UD4P

Hey guys, this is my first rig i have ever build so please be gentle when explaining the troubleshoot

Currently i have a UD4P gigabyte mobo and a i7 920 CPU along with other parts taht are irrelavent to my situation. Everything is together snapped in place and ready to go, but when i give power to everything, it refuses to POST, beep or do anything for that matter. With everything plugged in, it throws itself into rolling restarts. The only clue i have as to what is going on is that the CPU load bar...the thing that tells you how hard your CPU is working is all the way up...into the red. Also there is no signal on my monitor. This may just be my computer telling me to go **** myself but hey, waht do I know

Have any of you seen anything like this or experienced it? Will i have to RMA my CPU?...PLEASE HELP!!!!

Default Re: Please help!! Gigabyte UD4P

I'm assuming you have the system assembled inside a case at the moment. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but the most effective way to trouble shoot the build is to take the board out of the case and place it ontop of the anti-static bag it came in, also resting on some cardboard or the box it came in.

Be careful!! Static elecrticity kills components!! Have the PSU near to where you're working. Plug the lead into the back of the PSU and into the wall but turn it off at the socket and/or PSU switch. Touch this before handling any components, and do so again at regular intervals. The PSU is an earthed metal object and will discharge any static on you. It's like when you get a shock after getting ut of the car and touching the metal of the bodywork. A charge like that can kill your equipment.
    Assemble the system as normal, with the board on a table. Cheack the CPU socket on the mobo for bent pins. It can be difficuly, they're tiny, so use a magnifier if you need to, or if you use reading glasses pop them on.

Insert the CPU and lock down. Apply some thermal grease, and atatch the cooler. If it's the Intel stock one, make sure the push pins are in properly, if they don't stay clipped in, rotate the flat top in trhe opposite direction of the arrow marked, and push down firmly, top left and bottom right at the same time followed by top right and bottom left.

Insert the RAM in the correct slots. I believe they're coloured white on your board. Make sure they click into place securely. The retention clips should snap into the sides of the modules. If they don't make sure the RAM is pushed down firmly, and manually push the clips into the RAM notches.

Atatch your GFX card, again pushing in firmly.

Plug in the primary hard disk. Plug it into SATA port 0.

Check that all cables are plugged in from the PSU. Check them in this order to be sure:

• 24 Pin ATX connector (the biggest one, with a fat cable)
    • 8Pin CPU power cable. If your PSU only has a 4 pin connector it's OK, plug it into the 8 pin socket. It will only fit in the right direction, it's a foolproof design.
    • PCIe power connector. Plug this into your GFX card.
    • A SATA connector to your HDD (cable used depends on drives. all modern ones will be SATA power).

***Edit*** Now short the two "Clear CMOS" pins just above the case connector pins. The manual shows you where too. Connect them with a metal object such as a screw driver (carefully)
    Make sure the |CPU fan is plugged into the correct header on the board, and bring your case close to the build. Plug the case power button into the correct pins on the board, turn on the PSU and push the button.

If it boots then the board is grounding on the case somehow. Check you've installed the case risers (little metal or plastic threads that screw into the case, and your mobo screws on to them), and if they came with rubber or paper washers, use them.

You can also shield the back of the board from the mobo tray by using a couple of large sheets of paper. Pop the case risers through the paper, and when you install the mobo it will seperate case from board.

If the system won't boot outside the case, re-check connections, then it's a case of swapping components if you have any spare. Usual suspects are RAM, GFX, PSU and CPU. It's usually easier to source spare RAM and a PSU, as getting hold of a CPU easily can be a challenge. Not so bad on a 775 board, as a cheap old Pentium 4 can be used, but i7 costs a fortune.
    Last edited by Psycho101; 06-13-2009 at 01:15 AM.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by zharbison View Post
    The only clue i have as to what is going on is that the CPU load bar...the thing that tells you how hard your CPU is working is all the way up...into the red. Also there is no signal on my monitor. This may just be my computer telling me to go **** myself but hey, waht do I know
    Your CPU going to full use at immediate start is normal. When the computer starts up everything runs at full speed for the first few seconds before the built-in throttling kicks in.

Also, remove all connections from the case buttons (power button, reset button, power LED, HDD LED, etc) and use the built in power button on the motherboard. Improperly connecting those wires has been known to cause power cycling issues.
    Last edited by demonsavatar; 06-13-2009 at 01:32 AM.
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
    3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
    Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

Quote Originally Posted by demonsavatar View Post
    Your CPU going to full use at immediate start is normal. When the computer starts up everything runs at full speed for the first few seconds before the built-in throttling kicks in.

Also, remove all connections from the case buttons (power button, reset button, power LED, HDD LED, etc) and use the built in power button on the motherboard. Improperly connecting those wires has been known to cause power cycling issues.

Thanks for pointing that out. I was unaware that the board had a built in power button. Seems like a handy feature especially for open top test rigs.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

alright currently i am going to try and assemble all the components outside of the case and on a static free surface. I will let you know if it boots up this way.

thanks for all the help thus far

no luck, with everything out of the case, sitting on the wood kitchen table, it still pushes into restarts.

P.S: something else i discovered, when it is in restart mode everything only turns on about 1/2 way....the fans only spin half as fast ect...

The slow fan speed is probably normal. On my board (Core 2 UD3P) the CPU fan spins slow initially, then does to full speed after a few seconds.

Looks like it's time to start swapping out components. Give the clear CMOS another go first. You might want to also remove the battery for 10 minutes to make sure there's no way the volatile memory is retaining any info.

If you can find a spare PSu, that's the easiest thing to try first, followed by RAM and GFX and finally CPU. If all this fails it's likely a faulty main board.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Thread Information