Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 Help with BIOS config and RAID 0

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 Help with BIOS config and RAID 0

Hi,

Sorry for the delay in getting back to ya...

Glad you tried the seperate controller, its as good as doing what I asked to rule out the controller issue.

I think its more likely ya got a doddgy stick of ram in the mix than a mainboard fault. Mainly cos its when you push the memory!

We know the ram is compaitable as I have 12gigs of the same ram using XMP on same bios with same mobo and CPU and its fine for me, so it might well be one dodgy stick ram.

Have you tried with just 2 sticks and swaping them round to rule them out, you might find one stick out of the 3 is bad.

You might want to check the manual with regards to using dual channel as it matters which slots you use. You can use dual or tripe channel but not single. Its a shame cos it would be best to test each stick one at a time!

I very much doubt its a board fault, my experince with mobo's over the years is pretty vast and boards tend to either completely die or i/o chips/jacks die. If its working with safe settings then I would think the board is healty.

One last thing to check is that when you enable XMP you don't enable smart fan afterwards, this is turned off when XMP on so fan runs at full speed. I belive this is due to the fact that you are running the memory controller which is now in the CPU at faster than Intel intended in turn producing more heat in the chip.

I know I did ask this allready but are you 100% sure that you have the heatsink/fan installed correctly. I only ask as I have had 3 people bring i7 rigs they have built in with issues installing windows and in all 3 cases they only had 3 of the 4 legs installed correctly. Im not sure where on the die the mem controller is but if its the leg nearest the mem controller on the die then I could see that being an issue (baring in mind the paragraph above). In all three cases mentiond you could not really tell from temp readings in the bios (guess cos chip has no stress) there was an issue only a good look spotted it.

HI,

This is my last shot:
    I flagged my memorys modules (3x2) as 1,2,3 and moved to dual channel mode leaving one module out every try. this are the combination i tried with no success:
    module 1&2,1&3,2&3 in 1600mhz (profile1) and 1066mhz (Intel default). in none of the configuration above did i make a successful installation of windows 7. I once made a successful installation with modules 1&2 in 1066mhz but then run into some BSOD's so decided to verify if the algedly success was a brake of chance or a real success. I didn't make it to another successful installation in this configuration.

after playing with the system for more than 6 hours the system started to behave really strange ! it didn't recognize some of the memory modules installed ans simply ignoring them...

gone without saying that all the test were done on the Intel sata controler with raid disabled ! (because i also tried doing all the above on a raid system causing the raid to brake every time).

So I finally decided i had enough with it, I sent my MB to gigabyte for a checkup, now I am waiting for their response. I hope that the problem comes from the MB and not from any other component, because i also tried a full memory diagnostics with windows memory diagnostics tool and the memory came through OK !

Oh and it's not a cooling problem because i took apart the CPU fan and applied a new layer of top quality thermal paste and made sure that the CPU cooler is firmly attached.

anyway I am waiting for GB response :)

Thank you guys for all the help hopefully the answer is on it's way.

Well at least GigaByte can't say ya have not tried and checked everything!

Will be fasinated to hear the outcome.... hope you follow up when you hear back from them,

Cheers,
    Rob

Quote Originally Posted by PippinPixie View Post
    Well at least GigaByte can't say ya have not tried and checked everything!

Will be fasinated to hear the outcome.... hope you follow up when you hear back from them,

Cheers,
    Rob

Sure I will :)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by predatorftp View Post

after playing with the system for more than 6 hours the system started to behave really strange ! it didn't recognize some of the memory modules installed ans simply ignoring them...
    This often happens if you have the incorrect amount of ram voltage or QPI voltage set wrong. You see N/A listed for the missing channel in the BIOS? If so, that is why, not enough QPI Voltage usually, provided you do have your ram voltage set to 1.6-1.66

Good luck with the RMA though, hope they find an issue and fix it so you did not have to wait for nothing

hi,

just for your information i used 2 sticks out of 3 (dual channel mode) then i booted the computer and only one stick out of 2 was recognized (2 GB of ram) turning off the computer and switching one module and turning on the computer did not help, turning off the computer and switching the other module then turning on was successful and the MB recognized 4gb of ram.

I then turned the computer off and unplugged it from the wall then plugged it back everything was back to normal.

Well i guess it's a nice bed time story ? :)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Well just keep that in mind should you see anything like I stated above with your new ram or board anytime down the road.

Good luck with the RMA

EPILOG

The story ends.

Well like I said i was giving up on the MB after all the work and time I'v invested in finding out the problem, I decided to send it back to GB and for them to decide what is the problem.

Sent it to them with my memory and CPU so they can rule out any of the components. finally i got a call from them saying there is nothing wrong with the MB but they are going to leave the MB for another few days. when i got my MB back i found out that they did change the MB and (different MB serial number).

So the problem was in my MB. I then began in deep testing of the board and it's an upstanding MB !! I wish i didn't get that bad one before and wasted all this time and effort on making it work.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who tried to help me.

Daniel

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information