Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 Help with BIOS config and RAID 0

Default Help with GA-EX58 UD5 with Raid-0 + memory settings

Hi,

This is My rig:

GA-EX58-UD5 (rev. 1.0) BIOS Ver F6 ; 6GB (2x3) Crosair CM3X2G1600C8 ; Core i7 920 with stock fan
    2 x WD 160B Raid 0 ready in raid 0 mode (16mb buffer each) ; 1 x Samsung 1TB HD103UJ SATA2
    Saphire HD 4870 OC Toxic @ (GPU 810Mhz Memory 1120Mhz) ; 850W Toughpower TT PSU ; Windows 7 RC1

First I had allot of problems simply installing Vista, I was setting my BIOS to default optimized settings and enabling RAID then setting it to RAID 0 going to install it crashed all the time.
    Finally i discovered that turning the BIOS to safe mode and setting the RAID option on fixes this issue, by i feel like i am not using the maximum out of my rig (obviously).

So I decided to ask here for help in configuring my BIOS, and maybe i need to update my BIOS again (F8b), but bottome line i want to use the memory (1600mhz cl8) to it's best performance and the raid settings as well.

Anyway i anyone could help me out here that would be awesome.

thanks.

Daniel
    Last edited by predatorftp; 06-13-2009 at 04:50 PM. Reason: better description of the problem

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 Help with BIOS config and RAID 0

sorry for the bump, but i really need help here :(

I have pretty much same setup, same RAM just more of it, I had problems with XMP (which o'clocks mem) on bios F6, and am now using F8b with no problems since.

It works like a treat for me, I just use optimized defaults, set XMP on and enabled the first raid option (which is the ICH10 one)

Are you using the ICH10 raid or the GigaByte raid?

I have my WD Velicraptors on the ICH10 in Raid 0 and they fly,

Did try them on the GigaByte (jmicron really) ports but they were really slow!!! (worse than single Samsung F1 on ICH10 port).

I tested setup for first 2 weeks using vista then made jump to Windows 7.

Both work really well, If you going to use the GigaByte ports would reccomend using the 1.17.47 version for driver on jmicrons site and aviod the newer 1.48 driver for now, as it makes system lock up when drives spin down after idle timeout which in my case caused a blue screen and the drive to kick into chkdsk on reboot and replace security settings on all files which on drive nearly full took hours!!!!!!

Hope info helps.
    Last edited by PippinPixie; 06-13-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Thank for the response...

I'm afraid I don't know what does XMP does :(

I use the RAID option in the "SATA RAID/AHCI Mode" option.

But my 2xWD 16mb buffer 7200Rpm RAID 0 Ready does not rock at all they get 5.9 in Win-7 how much does yours get ?

not going to try it on the Gigabyte set (jmicron) since it worth... nothing.

Like i said before i need the configuration for all the different part of the BIOS since using the optimal defaults make my computer unusable at all since i am not able to install vista (or 7) and the installation crashes and destroys the RAID (red blinking error on the Drives in the detection screen on start up)

I'm really hopeless regarding this MB.

Thanks

I would update the bios to f7 or above if you have not done so, f7 cured all my memmory issues. f8b running fine for me aswell.

As far as the XMP goes its in "MB Intelligent Tweaker(MIT)" section of the bios and it will be set to disabled by default causing ram to run at intel spec when you select Profile 1 in the menu it will clock its self to what memmory manufacture has set.

I don't see point of noting down every bios setting as I would consider something else is going on.

As I said before I have pretty much exactly same setup just more ram different drives and optimized defaults and XMP turned on plus the raid 0 work fine on bios im on, so I would have to ask the question is heat sink on proper and cooling adequete and things like that before anthing else.

If it not heat then I would wonder if the drives can hack the increased speed of data going to drives or, maybe a drive is failing or something like that so next, does a single drive install work ok with optimized defaults and raid turned off, in both ahci and ide (Disabled setting) mode. Would also try Native mode on SATA Port-0-3 setting.

I had a similar problem to this on an older system which was because one drive was playing up it kept kicking into error recovery mode which locks any data being written and causes array to break. This only showed under stress.

If you really wan't me to make a note of settings then which ones do you want there are loads!!!!

I only see 6.2 in the windows 7 score with my 10k Velociraprotors but thats to be expected I guess as the score of 7.9 is set at raid 0 - top spec ssd's I belive which for os drive I guess would be somewhat amazing.

If you don't mind - give me your settings for the MB Intelligent Tweaker(MIT)

I got a suggestion on another forum to raise the V for the VTT and Vdimm (not sure what or where they are located in the bios)
    what do you think of that ?

thanks

I upgraded my BIOS to F8b last night and set defaults to optimal then turned on RAID.

I then booted to win 7 everything looked fine for a while and then boom i started to receive from Intel matrix driver errors on my RAID 0 after a few minutes windows crashed (BSOD).

since the stupid RAID interface of the MB doesn't gives you much options to help you recover from such error, I lost all my DATA on the RAID.
    (BTW. if someone can teach me how to recover from such errors i would be thankful)

I have a few questions:
    1. I tried to find differences in the default optimal vs fail safe and didn't find any. can some one point me to the differences ?
    2. How to recover RAID 0 blinking in red on the start up screen ?
    3. why does every time i run my system on optimal and set the memory to profile1 (1600mhz vs 1066 default) my RAID 0 breaks and system goes to hell ?

Please if anyone can help me i am starting to loose hope.

thanks .

hi,

So windows 7 installed ok, then I assume because you are seeing errors you have installed the Intel Matrix driver?

That might be one difference between my rig and yours, I have not installed the Matrix driver, simply cos I have not found a Windows 7 version of the matrix driver. I let Windows 7 use its inbuilt (its intel made). At least untill I can find a Windows 7 version on Intel site. I'm not gonna trust a vista driver to control my raid, I would rather trust the MS tested and assumed most compatible at release Windows 7 one thats built in.

I can't say I spotted any major differnces in bios between either optimal or fail safe either to be honest. Will have to dig the camera out and photo each screen to compare me thinks,

The ICH10 raid is quite limited in function as its a software raid with no battery backed cache or anything like that. I have not seen any options to attemt repair without a RAID1+0 or 5 config to rebuild the data from and doubt there is away. (if anyone can point us towards anything would apperciate it)

So im still left wondering about the matrix driver first then after that back to as I said in my last post the increase in speed to the array is highlighting issue with disks or something odd like that. So still ask have you tried a single disk install?

I installed the windows 7 and used it for a long time after a successful installation i made 1month ago using fail safe on.

I found a Matrix driver for 7 at this site intel drivers pour chipsets
    it's in french but i got around the language barrier :)

so this is the deal - i installed windows 7 and was running it for a month, then I updated the BIOS to F8b and reset the settings to optimal. now running windows 7 it loaded just fine but while i was working on it i started to get RAID errors from the matrix driver eventually the system crashed and the RAID was damaged (red blinking error while in the start up screen of ICH)

I once managed to recover this error by resetting the affected HD in the Ctr-I menu and rebuilding the raid with the same old raid name.
    then recover with windows recovery tools.

What should I do i am starting to get hopeless and thinking maybe my MB is bad.

Thanks,

My HD's (WD WD1601ABYS) are raid ready (i payed the extra for these baby's) i don't think it's the HD fault since the system works just fine (in raid0 and all) when the memory's are on 1066 mhz.

=NEWS= I have purchased a PCI Sata controller and most tried installing win-7 (7299) most of the attempts windows frizzes or crashes but never with an IO..sys message after lowering the memory back to 1066 I managed to install windows 7 (with a few recoverable crashes) BTW when i change the memory speed i am always using the profile1 option under XMP in the MB intelligent tweaker.
    So now the system loads but behave really strange and freezes from time to time!

Don't have much clues regarding why all this is happening but i am starting to blame the MB for all this, obviously the on board ACHI controller is not functioning so "good" since my raid0 never broke once with the new Sata controller I don't know how to proceed.

any ideas on how to isolate the problem would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information