Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RAM issue with GA-945GCM-S2L

Default Re: RAM issue with GA-945GCM-S2L

Thank you for the very detailed answer. I kinda follow you, but anyway it doesn't matter, I'll get rid of the chipset and buy a newer board instead of mingling around with even older OS's like 2003. I tried 2003 once and I think I had access to 3.25 or so if I remember right, but anyway thank you once again for the thorough explanation.

Anyway the Pentium III was a killer compared to P4. P4 was all about the GHZ instead of real performance. I was stunned when I realized my brand new laptop with a 1.6 Ghz Turion CPU owned my old 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4. Pentium 4 has always been sucky.

Well oldies are not always goldies, so go buy yourself a nice new board. :) I'm a bit behind new tech but AFAIK a P45 board is a good all-rounder if you don't want/need the latest and greatest.

Anyway the idea behind the P4 wasn't THAT bad and it held its own on certain tasks, but Intel got a bit carried away in the GHz race and forgot all about power consumption and thermal management. Oh, wait, they didn't. They put that stupid throttling protection. And thus the P4 became from just hot, hot AND slow. IMO this is what killed the Pentium 4.

The PIIIs - well you could run them fanless on a hot summer day and they wouldn't complain. The C2Ds are quite the same if you're not overclocking, which clearly shows their origin. I can't speak for the i7 though, as i don't own one. But where Intel does something good, they do something equally stupid. The finest example is the silly push pins - the P4 retention system was AWESOME, the pushpins are just retarded. And secondly, they didn't need THREE sockets for one new processor lineup (i7/i5/i3 - same cores). I love my C2D but my next board is going to be an AM3 board. At least AMD sticks to one socket for 3 years AND keeps processors designed for the new socket backwards compatible for another couple years.
    Last edited by Th3_uN1Qu3; 05-01-2010 at 09:15 AM.
    Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

Oh yes the pushpins are annoying and really kicks the fun out of putting your new CPU in place, but other than that C2D are really great processors, especially for gaming! Whenever I bring my E7300 up around 3.5-4.0 Ghz it really brings the pedal to the floor in every game I throw at it!
    With my 4870x2 and E7300 I am able to push the graphics of GTA 4 above the specified settings of the PlayStation 3, so I don't really want any other gaming cpu yet. IMO the latest 45 nm C2D is a bang for the buck! They are really cheap and perform beautifully, quiet and by a considerable lower wattage than P4.
    Thanks for the advice! I've been looking at a used Asus Commando board which should be i965. My laptops with this chipset has no problem with 4 GB of memory, so it should be no problem..

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Derduden View Post

I sure don't hope another motherboard will have the same problems or is this only on this specific memory controller combined with the chipset i945?
    Only the 945 and lower has that limitation. While your 965 suggestion would be fine, I do suggest you look at P35 based boards, as it should be just as cheap if that is why you are looking at older chipset boards.

If money is not the issue then I do suggest looking at P45 based boards or newer

Yeah, i would go for at least a P35 too. The 965 has some trouble with certain memory speeds and timings. The P35 is far more compatible.
    Pro hardware technician for PC, Laptop and Sound equipment.

Quote Originally Posted by Derduden View Post
    Hi thanks for the fast answer!
    Yes the 64 bit OS is of course necessary and that is not the problem. Windows 7 64 bit even shows that 4 GB memory is mounted, but that only 2.75 GB of these is usable, when I use my 4870x2 2 GB, something which the BIOS doesn't describe, it only shows something around 2800 MB of ram whenever I check.
    The on board graphics memory is capped at a maximum of 32 or 64 MB main memory so that has nothing to do with this massive amount of unusable ram.

Regarding BIOS, it is the latest available from Gigabyte not a very new one but the latest. (F8b) 09/05/2008

AFAIK whenever a motherboard manufacture has granted support for 4 GB of ram it should support 4 GB ram no matter what. If it cannot handle 4 GB of ram, which is clearly the case with this motherboard they shouldn't say so.

So if the chipset supports 4 GB max why am I only able to use 2.75 on my Win 7 64 bit system with a 4870x2 2 GB? Once again it has nothing to do with my on board graphics card.
    Has anyone got any idea of what might be the exact problem? (I've looked for any possible option in BIOS; extended memory and so on)
    hey i just wanted to ask whether ur hd 4870 giving u any problem other than this like low performance or somthing

and can u give me any detailed configuration of ur pc
    Derduden pls

Hi I haven't had any problems with performance at all, but I just weren't capable of using my memory. I changed the mo-bo to a new one with a newer chipset and problem solved. Furthermore I have been trying out some 32 bit computing and it turned out to have the exact same amount of memory available as with my old mo-bo. 2.75 Gig on 32 bit Windows 7 even though I changed the mo-bo. This is strange since it normally leaves you at 3.0 GB with a 32 bit system, but that just proves the amount of memory on the graphics has influence on the system memory.
    My system specs are:
    C2D E7300
    4 GB DDR2
    4870x2 2 GB
    Something like that;)

Hey i have the same problem ...... i've just put 1gb of RAM ...and me computer (gcm 945) is slower can u help me please?????

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information