Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Heat challenge

Default Re: Heat challenge

kick... don't know about the houses in Palm Springs. Do know it's hotter than hell in Palm Springs as I bought a motorcycle and rode in the middle of the summer from Riverside to Phoenix with full safety gear including a full face helmet. Interesting to know what the construction and price of the house(s) you referred to was. They are ALL stucco here (90+%) and built basically all the same...compressor outside...heat exchanger in the attic and vents in the ceiling...cost saving/profit making solution. When the air conditioner first comes on you get a good dose of hot air...that attic is really hot..60C+. No my solution is to have my rig nearly right under the vent. Cold air drops and so that's as good as it will get...it is cooler a bit away from the directly under the vent due to built in fixed vanes.

Interesting to me that enabling both the EIST function and C1E enhanced halt have had no effect on the temps. In fact moving up to 3.6GHz raised the temps 1C. Well this is as good as it will get and so be it. Now to buy those lottery tickets. About this time next year I'm moving to a little town in California where the temps are far more reasonable.

Next question...which condition does one want in their case. Positive or negative overall air pressure. Positive pushes more heat into the case but it also works against the fan(s) that push cool air over the HDDs. At least that is how it comes from the factory. My vote would be negative...i.e. the fans pull more out of the case than what comes in. Pros, cons?

There are days I'd rather fret about speaker placement.

You live in a desert, would this help...?

Liang D5 Solar
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex St. John
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

I was going along thinking this is pretty neat...at least the technology...then I saw the price

Update on the CoolIT Domino ALC. Working like a charm. Runs 20 hours a day every day with the Q6600 at 3.4GHz. Very impressed. Heat never an issue or any other issue for that matter. As pointed out, am not an OC'ing enthusiast but wanted more than stock. Mission accomplished.

The bad news is I have to downsize my rig as a friend (pastor) who gave me the Q6600 needs a very good system with video editing capabilities. Meaning...he needs it more than I do (his video editing software loves multi-core) so am giving it back (not his idea) and building a unit around it for him. I am keeping the Domino and he's getting my Xigmatek...with maybe a 2.8MHz overclock max.
    For me...a step back for awhile...E6420...ouch. But I'm doing the right thing and so it goes.

On a side note:
    As one who almost committed to Linux...have used as a hobbyist and at work...have to say Windows 7 64-bit rocks I say that after seeing my brother and ex suffer through Vista...only XP for me until now.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

That is a very nice thing you are doing!! I am sure he will appreciate it very much!

Vista is great, maybe not when it first came out or anything (And it was actually fine for me then too) but now with SP1 and SP2 vista rocks! Sorry to hear you have been lead down a misguided road.

Windows 7 I don't personally like so much yet, but have not used it too often so not decided on if I will be moving to that or sticking with x64 Vista for a while or not.

Glad you like Windows 7. I recently fell in love with Linux again (Ubuntu 9.04) after installing it on an old laptop ( 1.6GHz AMD Mobile Turion and 1GB RAM). It's really easy to use, nicely laid out, fast and comes with every single kind of application you could want, all waiting in the repositories. After a few teething troubles I figured out that for website downloads I could install the .deb packages. They now have a fully functioning web browser, video player and office suite with all the non-free essentials (flash, quicktime etc) from the non-free repository.

Good to know the Domino isn't as bad as some reviews made it out to be. I don't know if you've seen the newer self contained Corsair "water" cooler? I saw one actually working a few days ago and it beats a TRUE by a couple of degrees with a single fan. The fans are also changable and you can have two in push/pull. With two Noctua fans the results were even better. I think there's a review on Hardware Cannucks.

I'd say you'd be safe to give him the CPU at ~3GHz. I bet he'll sure apreciate the extra speed. With video encoding, the time difference is magnified as the whole process takes that bit longer. I suppose you have to make sure it's 110% stable though. Last thing you need is to become an unpaid mobile IT tech, even if he is a man of the cloth.

Edit: Are you going to OC the E6420? You should get 3GHz out of it, especially with the Domino and the UD3R.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Ok, time to fess up to you Psycho101. Regarding the CoolIT Domino

The other day I opened my case and oh, no...liquid on the case floor and the ceiling is not leaking. Domino had sprung a leak where everyone said it would. Took out my TV card in the process..that card was due for replacement until Christmas. Back to the trusty Xigmatek S-1283 RS for now until I get a bigger CPU...Q9550 maybe?

Self-contained liquid cooling is NOT ready for prime time...though I would like to look at the Corsair model.

Bottom line, I was wrong and I didn't listen to those who told me so...

Does this unit have clamps around the tubes? Just wondered if so why it would leak on you? Where did it leak anyway?

I use water and never have leaks, that's why I ask. I also do not use clamps

Damn! Sorry to hear that! I'm glad that no coolant got on vital components, at least you were lucky there.

@Lsd, the Coolit Domino, or at least early batches had a problem whereby due to the hoses used being extremely stiff (to stop coolant evaporation in the closed, non-refillable unit) and the barbs being plastic, any flexing of tubes, or even no flexing, resulted in the barbs cracking and a coolant leak.

JonnyGuru broke his first review sample (the "improved rev 2) here : JonnyGURU - CoolIt Domino ALC CPU Cooler

It seems that Coolit have a decent warranty system in place though. See here for how one person got on with getting a replacement (his was also a rev 2 "improved" version) Coolit Systems Domino ALC LEAKING OH NOES! - Hardware Canucks
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Ahh, thanks for the info. I never did like kits, and so I never have gave this a second look, this thread now only re-assures me that my thoughts were correct.

If you go water, build your own kit! It will be cheaper, look nicer, and not leak if done properly

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information