Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 + I7 920 Temp

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 + I7 920 Temp

Wow there has been alot of post since i last logged on!
    Right... Firstly Psycho101, yes this is an overclockers bundle, I have used them many times in the past and have nothing but praise for them, though I do think the voltage was a tad high, as I have just finished an 8 hour session of Fallout 3 with no problems at all after lower the Vcore voltage to 1.25. As for the bios sheets, i shall have to look for them, though i dont think there is much point now as the first thing i did on getting the system to boot was to write down all the bios details in the back of the motherboard manual.
    I think you are probably right about the delta fan being overkill, that and i think the noise would drive me mad! Sadly the heat sink doesnt allow for more than one fan, but there rear case out let fan is about 3 inches away from it so i doubt there would be much point anyway.
    As to the TrUE Copper, i did look into that when i found my side fan wouldnt fit (i wasnt looking for that as a replacement it just came up in alot of the reviews about the heat sink i have) and from what i've read its not very safe to use on an upright system due to the massive weight of the thing. I shall have to look into the Noctua fan, as im pretty sure my stock one is pretty bad.

It is surprising how two fans can work synergystically to lower temps when they're close enough to the HSF. My TrUE is around the same distance from the rear extraction, but adding another fan for a push/pull config decreased load temps in IBT by exactly 4c on both cores. I tried to be as scientific as I could. Going for two fans meant I needed to use the rear extraction fan on the sink, as it is the same Noctua model as the first. I measured temps with both one and two fans using a spare 65CFM Coolermaster fan, so as to keep a fair test.

I totally agree about the TrUe copper, it really isn't worth the price, and as demonsavatar said, design of the heatsink is a much more important factor than materials used in its construction.

The NF-P12 is truely an awesome fan. The colour scheme isn't to everyone's tastes, but I kind of like it. Also the fan wires come pre-sleaved, adding to the ultra high quality feel. With a lifetime warranty, you'll never need to buy another fan ever again.

Don't confuse the NF-P12 with the NF-S12. The "P" in the former stands for pressure, and is much more capable of maintaining good air flow in high impedance situations eg when alot of the fan area (maybe upwards of 1/4) is blocked with heat sink fins. The NF-S12 is an excellent choice as a general purpose case fan though, and is 2dB quieter, mainly due to the RPM decrease and diferent fin layout.

To be honest, I'd be quite pleased with those temperatures. I have no personal experience with i7, as I've just built this system not long ago, and will probably wait for at least the 32nm refresh of the range, maybe even the second stepping of the 32nm's if one is released. However the i7 does seem to run at higher temps than Penryn, Conroe etc. I'm not sure if turning off HyperThreading on its own has an impact on temps, but you could create two profiles in the BIOS if it does. Use the HT profile when you really need 8 threads, such as when encoding/transcoding video. At other times, use the 4 core 4 thread config for cooler running. Seems weird but in some gaming trials I've seen, Hyperthreading actually hurts frame rates.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Hey all, just a quick note on the Scythe KAMA-BAY 120mm Fan for 5.25" System Cooling
    you can build one yourself by simply using one of these http://www.crocobuy.co.uk/goods/277/48857/ Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online - Scan.co.uk[/url]). Much cheaper and can take 140mm as well as 120mm. But that one does use 4 drive bays instead of just 3. (can also be purchased from scan.co.uk
    Last edited by Mad_Hatter; 06-22-2009 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    I'm not sure if turning off HyperThreading on its own has an impact on temps, but you could create two profiles in the BIOS if it does.
    I have heard temperatures fall a lot when HT is off - thereby increasing overclocking potential. Haven't tried it myself though.

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Hatter View Post
    Hey all, just a quick note on the Scythe KAMA-BAY 120mm Fan for 5.25" System Cooling
    you can build one yourself by simply using one of these Sharkoon Rebel 12 Fan Frame Computer hardware and software at amazing prices, available online - Scan.co.uk[/url]). Much cheaper and can take 140mm as well as 120mm. But that one does use 4 drive bays instead of just 3. (can also be purchased from scan.co.uk
    Those are nice, especially if I painted them black. Unfortunately I only have 4 5.25" bays total and I need to use 1 for a DVD burner.
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
    3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
    Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread Information