Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Help with boot problem on GA-EX58-UD3R

Default Help with boot problem on GA-EX58-UD3R

Hi all

I have a problem when booting where it takes 4 or 5 attempts for the machine to boot properly. When you first switch on the machine all the fans start up and the lights come on etc but it doesnt boot. It is trying but all that happens is that the fans slow down a bit and the lights dim a bit and it is like they are going up and down and then you get the beep and it boots up as normal.

It does not matter what settings I have in bios. I have tried fail safe settings and optimised and overclocked and not overclocked.....it does it no matter what settings i have

I thought at first it was a psu issue as it seems to have started doing this since i bought my 4870x2 card. I had a 700watt tk toughpower which was about 18 months old and so i bought a 850 watt corsair tx last week, but the problem is still there.

My full spec is this
    I7 920 @ 3.2
    GA-EX58-UD3R with F6 bios
    Corsair TX850 psu
    6 gig of kingston hyperx 1600 mhz . not in xmp mode. Manually set voltage and speed in bios
    WD 640 gb BLACK.
    Haf 32 case (RECENTLY BOUGHT)
    XFX 4870 X 2 (RECENTLY BOUGHT)
    LG Blueray player/dvd writer
    DVD Rom
    ASUS XONAR D2
    Hauppauge T500 Nova TV Card

as i said above I have had this set at stock and overclocked and get the same error.

Does anyone know what it could be?

Once the machine is up and running it runs great. No problems or BSD's but the boot up issue is doing my head in

Any help much appreciated
    Last edited by Griff7520; 06-14-2009 at 05:09 PM.
    Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
    ASUS X99-Deluxe II
    CRYORIG A80 AIO
    GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
    Samsung Evo polaris 250gb
    16Gb Avexir core red series
    Evga P2 750 wt
    Phantec Evolv Tg.

Default Re: Help with boot problem on GA-EX58-UD3R

Unplug all unnecessary peripherals from your mobo (hard drives, cd roms, extra ram, tv card, you seem to have many) and unplug the buttons from your case except the power button. Check the polarity of the power button connection. I don't think the UD3P has a built-in power button on the motherboard, so you have to use the case power button.

People have mentioned that reversing the polarity on the power button may cause some reboot loops or strange unstability.

Also try each ram module individually - people have reported bad ram modules causing all sorts of nonsense.

You said you can eventually get it to boot, so I'm guessing its not a thermal issue with a improperly mounted CPU heatsink.

If still no go, I would try taking the motherboard out of the case, there may be something shorting it out if the mount screws aren't properly installed.

Finally I would start replacing parts - start by borrowing 1 more PSU perhaps (although you tried 2 already).
    Last edited by demonsavatar; 06-14-2009 at 09:42 PM.
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
    3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
    Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

Tried your suggestions and unplugged everything....noticed that when you put the power connector on the board it starts the pc no matter which way round you attach it to the pins. Not known this before on other boards. Usually has to be attached to the pins the correct way round or you dont get power. Is this normal for this board? If not could it be a problem with the wireing on the case or is it the board?
    Griff

I7 5280k @ 4.2
    ASUS X99-Deluxe II
    CRYORIG A80 AIO
    GTX 1070 Amp Extreme
    Samsung Evo polaris 250gb
    16Gb Avexir core red series
    Evga P2 750 wt
    Phantec Evolv Tg.

Quote Originally Posted by Griff7520 View Post
    Tried your suggestions and unplugged everything....noticed that when you put the power connector on the board it starts the pc no matter which way round you attach it to the pins. Not known this before on other boards. Usually has to be attached to the pins the correct way round or you dont get power. Is this normal for this board? If not could it be a problem with the wireing on the case or is it the board?
    It will still start, and I haven't experienced a looping boot issue, but there have been some report that reverse polarity could adversely affect system stability. Also, you tried each ram module individually? If your running your ram at 1600Mhz, try increasing your QPI voltage to around 1.24-1.26V.

Just noticed you said it started when you got your 4870 X2, do you have another video card you can try?
    Last edited by demonsavatar; 06-15-2009 at 08:32 PM.
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
    3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
    Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

Thread Information