Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unstable in DIMM 1/3, somewhat stable in DIMM 2/4

Default Unstable in DIMM 1/3, somewhat stable in DIMM 2/4

GA-EP45-UD3R 2x2GB
    1066 GSKILL DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)

I've had this set up for about 6 months, running Ubuntu 8.10. I have been running it with 2x2GB RAM in slots 2 and 4 in dual channel. Every so often (from 2-3 times a week to 2-3 times a day) I will get a hard freeze, i.e. no responsiveness and the only way to reboot is to kill the power. I made sure to set the RAM voltage to 2.0 V, which is recommended by GSKILL but the motherboard had it automatically set to 1.8V. I am ignorant about voltage settings/overclocking, so please advise if there's something else I should change there.

Today I tried the following experiment:
    Using only stick A:
    DIMM1: CRC error after GRUB.
    DIMM2: booted fine 2x.
    DIMM3: kept rebooting before and after GRUB
    DIMM4: booted fine 2x.

Using only stick B:
    DIMM1: CRC error after GRUB.
    DIMM2: booted fine 2x.
    DIMM3: kept rebooting before GRUB
    DIMM4: booted fine 2x

Using DIMM1/DIMM3 I would get both a rebooting cycle and CRC errors.

Using DIMM2/DIMM4 is what I have been for a while where I get these infrequent freezes.

My conclusion from this is that the motherboard is bad. However I can't take the time to RMA it and if it came to that I would just buy a different motherboard and use that. So if you think there's any hope of fixing the stability issues by changing settings, please let me know! Thanks!

Default Re: Unstable in DIMM 1/3, somewhat stable in DIMM 2/4

bump, anybody?

Chike is offline Senior Member

I am just wondering. Have you set the 2V from the beggining?
    I Have a GSkill 8500 PI and ,y GA-EP43-UD3L sets their voltage to 2.1 if auto is selected (no matter if X.M.S is on or not) and the reading in HW Monitor is 2.144 which is a bit high.
    Also have you tried them at as DDR 800?

I just recently changed it from 1.8V (which is where the GA-EP45-UD3R automatically set the voltage) to 2.0V, and then from there to 2.04V. I'll try DDR 800.

My BIOS reading is 1.8....[auto] but actual voltage after reboot (IN HW Monitor) and in windows (ET6 HW Monitor) is 2.144V) so they may have been with high voltage for some time. (I don't realy know if extra 0.04V is to high for these DIMMS)

Of course I have a different board and BIOS and behave different.

Also it's a good idea to test each DIMM seperately with Memtest86+, it identifys problems with memory much quicker than it takes to identify them in normal use.

There's no mobo in the world who detects dimms voltage as far as i know, default voltage for DDR2 is 1.8v, any increase is done manually.

So you should head to M.I.T and raise your voltages to 2.0~2.1 - I think 2.1v is better - and adjust settings manually to your dimm's spec.

My Dimms have SLi Ready and Extreme Memory Profile, in my mobo all timings is set by Extreme Memory Profile, i set Profile 2, the only one available, and it's done, i raise voltage to 2.1v and i'm good to go to frag in CoD4

And some advices, RAISE your MCH Voltage to 1.20v, helps a lot when have 4GB installed.

Overclocking is a fairly easy task on Gigabyte motherboards, just have patience and you'll see, when i just purchased my mobo, i got angry with a lot of things, i was unaware of a lot of things, and done some research, and got my Q6600 overclocked like hell!

Best regards.

Thanks for the advice all. I wonder if its possible that some of the DIMM slots are more "sensitive" to voltage settings than others, and maybe thats why I have success with 2/4 and not 1/3. I'll do some more experimenting later today and post back what I find!

still playing around with various combinations of MCH and voltage.

a quick question, is setting "System Memory Multiplier" from Auto to 3.00A going to have me run at DDR 800? It does change the reported frequency to that in the BIOS, but I'm unsure what "3.00A" means (as opposed to 2.50D, or whatever).

If you're bus frequency is 266Mhz a multiplier of 3 will make it DDR2 800.

The multiplier set the ratio between bus to memory frequecies and it's actually half, DDR2 800 operates at 400Mhz.

What does the "A" stand for in 3.00A? other multipliers had different letters (A-D)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information