Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Need helping picking an x58 board

Question Need helping picking an x58 board

I am wanting to do a new build using an i7 920 and almost pulled the trigger and bought everything including a GA-EX58-UD5. However news of Computex 2009 hit and apparently Gigabyte is doing a refresh of their x58 boards with some new features and SATA III support. Does anyone know when these new boards will be available? I am thinking if it's before august I might as well wait and check them out. Any news or suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Need helping picking an x58 board

Hmm, yeah the EX58A series boards will be coming out later this year apparently but I haven't heard a date from anyone. Perhaps the same time the i5/P55 boards come out.

If you want one sooner though, I highly reccomend the EX58-UD4P. You will save some money and still get all the great overclocking functionality of the UD5 and Extreme. It's just missing some extra bells and whistles like 2 LAN ports. Don't take my word for it, here is shining review from X-Bit: Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P: Super Functional Mainstream Mainboard - X-bit labs

They found it to have the same overclocking potential as the UD5/Extreme flavors, which is no surprise because it uses the same power circuitry! Of course you could always wait for the EX58A-UD4P...
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
    3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
    Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

Default Re: Need helping picking an x58 board

Well I contacted Gigabyte and surprisingly got a timely response that answered my question of when the new x58a boards were coming out.

"Dear Customer,

The refreshed line of X58 motherboards will be shipping in August this year.

Thank you for choosing Gigabyte products"

So now the only thing that would make it worth waiting for them is if they will have usb 3.0 as well. But I think I'm just going trigger and get one now. I was looking at the UD4P but figured the extra money would be worth it in the long run for the UD5 since the UD5 is pretty much the extreme without the water cooling support.

Thread Information