Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I simply don't know what to do to fix this

Default Re: I simply don't know what to do to fix this

Is the mobo battery secured in place? How old is the mobo and battery? Maybe try another known good battery. If you have a dmm test the voltage of the battery. I think they are 3volt cells. A good battery should be about 3-3.3v. At this point, it doesn't hurt to try. Also check if your mobo has a jumper for the cmos and make sure that it isn't on the clear cmos setting. Check you manual for the proper setting. If it is correct, try taking out the battery, short the cmos, and then put the jumper back to normal default, and put the battery back in and try to turn on your computer again.
    1) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @445x9@1.2625v bios, TRUE 120, Scythe UltraKaze 44cfm, 4x2gb GSkill 8500, Visiontek 3870, Corsair TX850, Antec 900, Win7-64 Home.
    2) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @500x8.5@1.2875v bios, TRUE 120, Schythe UltraKaze 44 cfm, 4x2gb Buffalo FireStyx 8500, XFX 5770, Corsair AX850, CM Scout, WinXP Pro/Win 7-64 Home.
    3) Gigabyte P55A-UD4P (rev 1.0, bios F5) i5 750 @190x20@1.30625v bios, CM Hyper 212+, 4x2gb G.Skill Ripjaw 1600, 7900GS, Corsair TX750, CM Scout, Win7 Pro-64.
    4) Asus P8Z68-V Pro (bios 0801), i5-2500K @44x100@1.248v cpuz, Megahalem rev.B, 4x4gb GSkill Sniper 1600, Corsair AX850, Antec 902, Corsair Performance 3 128GB, Win7-64 Home.

Hi dusty2all
    You could be getting a short from the case. We recommend you remove that motherboard from the case/chassis and test the board for POST. Please follow the following simple steps.
    1. Place the motherboard on top of the cardboard box (you can use the motherboard box)
    2. Install the CPU, CPU fan, Memory, Power supply plugs (plug the 1 X 20 pin and 1 X 4 or 2 X 8 pin from the power supply unit) and a video card.
    3. Hook the monitor to the video card and be sure the monitor is switched on.
    4. Turn on the system board by using the case "Power on" switch.
    If the system fails to POST, check the components' insertion again to ensure they are all connected properly.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Quote Originally Posted by BoombasticSloth View Post
    Is the mobo battery secured in place? How old is the mobo and battery? Maybe try another known good battery. If you have a dmm test the voltage of the battery. I think they are 3volt cells. A good battery should be about 3-3.3v. At this point, it doesn't hurt to try.
    I have had the motherboard for about a year and a half. I don't have any testing equipment here. I might add that In the many years I have used a computer, I have never had a problem with a mobo battery.

Also check if your mobo has a jumper for the cmos and make sure that it isn't on the clear cmos setting. Check you manual for the proper setting. If it is correct, try taking out the battery, short the cmos, and then put the jumper back to normal default, and put the battery back in and try to turn on your computer again.
    This computer was working last week and I don't even know where the clear cmos setting is. I will find it, though, and check it out. What a learning experience this has been! Thanks for your effort to help.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I would be testing the board out of the case, and off the motherboard tray. it sounds like you have a short somewhere to me.

Here is where you will find the Clear CMOS Pins, under the CMOS battery >>

And in post # 2 of this thread I outline how to clear your CMOS and things you need to do afterward
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Quote Originally Posted by artdrivers View Post
    Hi dusty2all
    You could be getting a short from the case. We recommend you remove that motherboard from the case/chassis and test the board for POST.
    Why was it working last week, then? And...what else would cause a short other than a loose screw or a stay under the motherboard that was not properly screwed down?

Please follow the following simple steps.
    1. Place the motherboard on top of the cardboard box (you can use the motherboard box)
    2. Install the CPU, CPU fan, Memory, Power supply plugs (plug the 1 X 20 pin and 1 X 4 or 2 X 8 pin from the power supply unit) and a video card.
    3. Hook the monitor to the video card and be sure the monitor is switched on.
    4. Turn on the system board by using the case "Power on" switch.
    If the system fails to POST, check the components' insertion again to ensure they are all connected properly.
    I wish it was that simple. With an Antec 180B or 182 case all the necessary cables from the power supply are routed behind the motherboard and drop in from the top to the 20 pin and 4 pin connectors. It is a major undertaking to reroute those cables because this power supply is not modular. The "Power on" switch isn't working either. So...I understand the need to isolate the problem, but I think I will cruise over to the Corsair forum before I do.

Thanks again for the terrific blowup of the front panel schematic. We printed it out and it was very helpful when we were moving things around last night.

Hi dusty2all
    I found that I could get more length from the front panel power switch wire from the right side of the case. But the best way is to remove the switch from the front panel and test it as well.
    An electrical component like a capacitor has a negative charge it wont drain untill you remove the case. Many components hold electrical energy some negative some positive. Their are many things that can sometimes cause this like a loose wire, back plate, USB, insect, matalic dust, foreign objects, ect... My first check would be the power supply, this would be my second check.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 01-22-2011 at 11:16 PM.
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Quote Originally Posted by artdrivers View Post
    Hi dusty2all
    I found that I could get more length from the front panel power switch wire from the right side of the case. But the best way is to remove the switch from the front panel and test it as well.
    I wasn't quite ready to remove the switch.

An electrical component like a capacitor has a negative charge it wont drain until you remove the case. Many components hold electrical energy some negative some positive. Their are many things that can sometimes cause this like a loose wire, back plate, USB, insect, mataliic dust, foreign objects, etc... My first check would be the power supply, this would be my second check.
    OK. I happened to have a can of compressed air here so I took a couple minutes to blow out whatever was in the motherboard area. Then I checked out the Corsair forum, where I was given a down and dirty method of checking the power supply, which I did, and there was no problem there.

After that it took a couple minutes to reconnect the cables, and I thought, well, let's see if this thing will work. I stood it up and there was no response from the on / off button but with the reset switch, this computer sprang to life. The on / off button is now the reset and after all the problems I have had, it will probably stay that way.

So now I am up and running again. I don't know why it is suddenly working, unless the compressed air took care of something I couldn't see. I can say one thing for sure: I will never again take for granted that a computer will just start all the time. This has been quite an ordeal.

My thanks to all who have contributed, especially artdrivers and Lsdmeasap, who provided the large print graphics. I wear contacts and glasses, so they were very much appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    (snip) Here is where you will find the Clear CMOS Pins, under the CMOS battery (snip) >>
    Thank you. As it turned out, that was not the problem, but I really appreciated the large print graphic nonetheless.

And in post # 2 of this thread I outline how to clear your CMOS and things you need to do afterward
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
    The link to the qflash guide is very helpful, and I will be making use of it tonight. Thanks again.

You are very welcome and it thrills us to here you managed to get it going with a little help. Please keep in touch.
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W