Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I simply don't know what to do to fix this

Default I simply don't know what to do to fix this

I have a Gigabyte M61P-S3 motherboard that I just installed in an Antec 180B case. I have two SATA hard drives. I could give you the other components but they would not help with this problem.

Yesterday this computer was working. I managed to get that demonically small connector attached to the proper demonically small pins on the motherboard, and wonder of wonders, the computer started. I don't have the other connectors where they should be yet. I can't begin to put them where they need to be in this case.

At any rate, earlier today I swapped the locations of the SATA cables on the motherboard because I was having some problems getting XP to install on the right partition. Once I did that, I made a heroic effort to get the reset button connected, which is right behind the on / off connector on the motherboard, going to enormous lengths to leave the on / off connector undisturbed. To no avail. Once I stood the computer up and turned it on, nothing.

I double checked the connector to make sure it was properly seated and took the drive cage out so I could see if there was any problem with the connector to the button. Nothing had changed there.

I am at a loss how to proceed here. It amazes me that operationally, everything about this computer hinges on a tiny and fragile connector that I can barely see. Help! What can I do? Please advise ASAP. Thank you.

Default Re: I simply don't know what to do to fix this

An update:

I found a schematic for plugging in the connectors for the front panel of the computer in the manual and there was a problem. Now, having handed this off to someone with better eyes and smaller hands, they are plugged in so that when you look from the top when the computer is standing up, you can read what is on each connector. The pin sections are color coded and the connectors are where they are supposed to be. There is still no sign of life, no fans, nothing.

Obviously something isn't right, and I am having a hard time making sense out of the pin assignments. It seems to me that these connectors can be plugged in the way the are, or they can be plugged in with the labels on the connectors facing down. What other options are there? Corsair power supplies simply will not start unless these connectors are plugged in properly.

Does anyone here have an Antec 180B case? I mention this because then we could talk about the exact connectors and where they are supposed to be. Of course, they may be the same for all Antec models.

At any rate, I hope this can inspire someone to respond to this thread. I REALLY need to get this working. Any suggestions on what to do now?

There may be something wrong with the power switch on the case. Try plugging the reset button connector to the power switch header pins and use the reset button as your power button.

Alternatively, you can try removing the power switch connector all together and use a small screw driver and short the 2 pins briefly, as this is basically what the power and reset switch does. Again just short the 2 pins BRIEFLY.... touch and remove. Just make sure you are shorting the proper 2 power switch pins.
    1) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @445x9@1.2625v bios, TRUE 120, Scythe UltraKaze 44cfm, 4x2gb GSkill 8500, Visiontek 3870, Corsair TX850, Antec 900, Win7-64 Home.
    2) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @500x8.5@1.2875v bios, TRUE 120, Schythe UltraKaze 44 cfm, 4x2gb Buffalo FireStyx 8500, XFX 5770, Corsair AX850, CM Scout, WinXP Pro/Win 7-64 Home.
    3) Gigabyte P55A-UD4P (rev 1.0, bios F5) i5 750 @190x20@1.30625v bios, CM Hyper 212+, 4x2gb G.Skill Ripjaw 1600, 7900GS, Corsair TX750, CM Scout, Win7 Pro-64.
    4) Asus P8Z68-V Pro (bios 0801), i5-2500K @44x100@1.248v cpuz, Megahalem rev.B, 4x4gb GSkill Sniper 1600, Corsair AX850, Antec 902, Corsair Performance 3 128GB, Win7-64 Home.

Thank you for your prompt response!

Quote Originally Posted by BoombasticSloth View Post
    There may be something wrong with the power switch on the case. Try plugging the reset button connector to the power switch header pins and use the reset button as your power button.

Alternatively, you can try removing the power switch connector all together and use a small screw driver and short the 2 pins briefly, as this is basically what the power and reset switch does. Again just short the 2 pins BRIEFLY.... touch and remove. Just make sure you are shorting the proper 2 power switch pins.
    Seeing the two pins is a bit of a problem. I need a good magnifying glass and I don't have one.

We will try moving the reset button connector but I don't think it will make any difference. The reason is that when this system is getting power, I get a blue light in the case next to the front panel that is independent of whether or not the buttons on the panel are operational. I haven't seen the blue light in a few days now.

Is that blue light that you are speaking of the hdd activity light? I remember in the past when I had my ide hd cables plugged in but not my 4 pin molex power connectors plugged in my activity light would stay on. I am not sure if that may be the case with your setup.
    1) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @445x9@1.2625v bios, TRUE 120, Scythe UltraKaze 44cfm, 4x2gb GSkill 8500, Visiontek 3870, Corsair TX850, Antec 900, Win7-64 Home.
    2) Gigabyte EP45-UD3P (rev 1.1, bios F9) E8400 @500x8.5@1.2875v bios, TRUE 120, Schythe UltraKaze 44 cfm, 4x2gb Buffalo FireStyx 8500, XFX 5770, Corsair AX850, CM Scout, WinXP Pro/Win 7-64 Home.
    3) Gigabyte P55A-UD4P (rev 1.0, bios F5) i5 750 @190x20@1.30625v bios, CM Hyper 212+, 4x2gb G.Skill Ripjaw 1600, 7900GS, Corsair TX750, CM Scout, Win7 Pro-64.
    4) Asus P8Z68-V Pro (bios 0801), i5-2500K @44x100@1.248v cpuz, Megahalem rev.B, 4x4gb GSkill Sniper 1600, Corsair AX850, Antec 902, Corsair Performance 3 128GB, Win7-64 Home.

Hi dusty2all
    I know on my original boot The first time I turned the power on I had to hit the switch twice. I also forgot to turn the switch on once on the power supply. Be careful with that most of them have a 115v 230v switch on the power supply as well.
    Below is a blown up image of the front panel headers. Maybe it will help.
    http://china.giga-byte.com/FileList/...-m61p-s3_e.pdf
    Below you can clearly see the diagram for your motherboard. Look at the positive and negatives. I always try to put the white wire on the negative pins accept for the speaker wire it's black.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 01-22-2011 at 11:14 PM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Quote Originally Posted by BoombasticSloth View Post
    Is that blue light that you are speaking of the hdd activity light? I remember in the past when I had my ide hd cables plugged in but not my 4 pin molex power connectors plugged in my activity light would stay on. I am not sure if that may be the case with your setup.
    No, I think the hdd activity light is on the front panel, and it has never worked. The blue light seems to be independent of the front panel and simply indicates that it is receiving power. Seems to be a distinctive feature of this case, but I don't know where it is getting its signal from. All I know is that when it is not on there is no chance of getting this computer to turn on.

Quote Originally Posted by artdrivers View Post
    Hi dusty2all
    I know on my original boot The first time I turned the power on I had to hit the switch twice. I also forgot to turn the switch on once on the power supply. Be careful with that most of them have a 115v 230v switch on the power supply as well.
    The Corsair power supplies have an auto detect feature to determine the proper voltage. I have tried hitting the switch twice. Without the blue light, it is a no go.

Below (snip) is a blown up image of the front panel headers. Maybe it will help.
    Below you can clearly see the diagram for your motherboard. Look at the positive and negatives. I always try to put the white wire on the negative pins accept for the speaker wire it's black.
    The blown up image is VERY much appreciated. It is very hard to read in the manual. We will try it your way a little later tonight and see what happens. Thanks for your detailed and well illustrated response!

dusty2all here is a fairly easy way to test your power supply with a jumper.
    About.com: http://www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt2.html
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Quote Originally Posted by artdrivers View Post
    Hi dusty2all
    (snip)Below is a blown up image of the front panel headers. Maybe it will help.
    Below you can clearly see the diagram for your motherboard (snip). Look at the positive and negatives. I always try to put the white wire on the negative pins accept for the speaker wire it's black.
    OK. We finally got a chance to hook up the connections using your guidelines exactly. No sign of life. No fans. Nothing. Then we reversed them with the same result.

It seems to me that it may be time to take this in to a professional to get it straightened out, unless someone here has a better idea. That person would be in a better position to check out the power supply as well, although I am 99% sure that is not the problem. As it stands now, all the other connections are snug and there are no problematic stays or loose screws under the motherboard that would interfere. If there is something else I should be checking, please let me know what it is. Thanks.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information