Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: EX58-UD4P won't run, keeps shutting down

Default EX58-UD4P won't run, keeps shutting down

I have an EX58-UD4p with OCZ Platinum 1600 RAM. It would not post and kept shutting off.

The BIOS automatically set RAM voltage at 1.5 volts. Gigabyte technical support suggested that I increase the RAM voltage settings, so I increased voltage to 1.64 (spec on this memory is 1.65, which is not an option in the BIOS). Started with one stick, then two and then all three.

Besides the memory voltage, everything is on auto. (BIOS shows mem speed at 1066 with timings of 7,7,7,16; spec is 1600 with timings of 7,7,7,24)

Increasing the voltage helped some but it still keeps crashing. (By crashing, I mean it just shuts down.) It will not run long enough to install Windows.

Once when I went back in to the BIOS it said it crashed because of an overclock or change in voltage settings. It obviously is not overclocked.

Usually when it crashes it will not respond to the power button. I have to turn the power off at the power suppply, take out the battery, and then when I get it started I go back in to the BIOS and load optimized defaults and reset the memory voltage to 1.64.

BIOS is version 8. Processor temp is below 50, so it is not overheating.

Can anybody help?

Default Re: EX58-UD4P won't run, keeps shutting down

For what it is worth, I removed 2 sticks of ram (thinking the one of the three might be the problem), took out the battery and cleared the CMOS and then reinstalled the battery. Now when I push the power button the fans just twich and then stop. It won't even post.

Which memory banks is the memory installed in? Also what part number is it? Look at my sig, do you have the same memory as me?
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
    3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
    Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

The memory is OCZ3P1600LV6GK. It is in the white slots.

I got it to start, changed the timings to 7,7,7,24, added the sticks one at a time and it seems to be working now. I finally got Windows 7 RC to install and ran the memory diagnostic and it reported no errors.

I read in another forum that I might have to raise the QPI voltage to 1.35 but I haven't done that yet. It is still running at 1066. I am afraid to try to get it up to 1600.

Any advice?

Quote Originally Posted by jgc View Post
    The memory is OCZ3P1600LV6GK.
    Same ram as me so we have the same ram/mobo combo :) It works great once the settings are right.
    It is in the white slots.
    As it should be.
    I got it to start, changed the timings to 7,7,7,24, added the sticks one at a time and it seems to be working now.
    Yeah according to the OCZ forums, the tRAS (the last number) is especially sensitive. Mine happened to boot fine at 16 while running at 1066Mhz but I might just be lucky.

I read in another forum that I might have to raise the QPI voltage to 1.35 but I haven't done that yet. It is still running at 1066. I am afraid to try to get it up to 1600.
    I am running my ram at 1464Mhz with 7-7-7-21-1. The last number is the command rate. With the same CPU/mobo/ram as me you can probably try my setting, though it seems your ram is a bit more touchy. If you have a D0 920 then you can probably do better than me.

Try these:

Code:
    CPU Clock Ratio: 20x
    QPI Link Speed: 36x
    Uncore frequency: 16x
    BCLK Frequency: 180Mhz
    Performance Enhance: Standard
    System Memory Multiplier: 8x
    DRAM Timing Selectable: Quick
    CAS: 7
    tRCD: 7
    tRP: 7
    tRAS: 21
    Command Rate: 1T
    Load Line Calibration: Enabled
    CPU VCore: NORMAL
    QPI/VTT Voltage: 1.215v
    IOH Core: NORMAL
    DRAM Voltage: 1.64v
    If that doesn't work, loosen up your tRAS to 24 and your Command Rate to 2T, and try raising your QPI voltage to ~1.3v and raise DRAM Voltage to 1.66v.

Tell me what happens! Also put your system specs in your signatre like I have mine, easier to help people when they run into problems.
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11

I can't believe this: It seemed to be running fine. I could turn it off, add a stick of ram and it would boot right up again eve with all three sticks. So, I turned it off, closed the box and let it sit for a while. When I pressed the start button to turn it on again nothing happened except the fans twitched and stopped.

I switched off the power supply. let it sit for 15 minutes, turned the power supply back on pressed the start button and it started to boot but shut down after about a minute.

Thanks for the advice, but before I try overclocking I just want it to run at stock speeds. I guess I will try increasing the QPI volatge a bit.

Any other suggestions?

By the way, it is a D0.

Any possibility that this could be a problem with the power supply? It seems strange that I had it running for a while and then it quit again. The power supply is a Corsair 550 watt.

I also got some different RAM to try: Corsair XMS rated at 1.5 volts, 1333 speed, and 9,9,9,24 timings. I haven't had any luck getting it to run with that either. Basically the same symptoms -- either the fans twitch and it won't start, or if I get it to start it won't run for more than a minute or two.

Any possibility that this could be a problem with the power supply? It seems strange that I had it running for a while and then it quit again. The power supply is a Corsair 550 watt.

I also got some different RAM to try: Corsair XMS rated at 1.5 volts, 1333 speed, and 9,9,9,24 timings. I haven't had any luck getting it to run with that either. Basically the same symptoms -- either the fans twitch and it won't start, or if I get it to start it won't run for more than a minute or two.
    Yeah if another pair of memory doesn't work the power supply is next on the list. Then the motherboard.
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11

I am having the same problem but with the ocz gold memory.... except my power supply is good, I pulled it out of my old rig....

Any ideas as to what might be wrong?

Turned out to be the power supply!

Thread Information