Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-MA78GM-S2H "The file is possibly corrupt"

Default GA-MA78GM-S2H "The file is possibly corrupt"

I have a problem with my Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1) motherboard – or at least I think I do and I'm wondering if anyone has seen this before.

Heres what I get;

1. Install the OS (Hyper-V usually), get everything running perfectly with all drivers, patches etc installed. This takes several reboots etc and looks stable
    2. Shut everything down for the evening
    3. In the morning, I power the machine on (cold boot) and after post I get the message : “The file is possibly corrupt. The file header checksum does not match the computed checksum.”
    4. Repeated restarts then give me the same message. Occasionally it will get past this and tell me one file or another is inaccessible (\Windows\System32\Winload,exe or a dll or sys file)
    5. If I power the machine down, wait a minute and power it back on, imediately enter the config screen for bios, wait a minute or two, save changes (with nothing changed) and let the machine boot – everything works just fine. None of the previous error messages appear.
    6. Every now and again the steps in 5 don't work and I am unable to boot the machine at all and I'm forced to install the OS again. Then I repeat the whole sorry process..

Hardware is;

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H (rev 1.1) motherboard
    AMD 9550 Phenom
    2 x 2GB Ram (DDR2 800)
    1 x 200 GB Samsung Sata II drive (System drive)
    2 x 250 GB Maxtor Sata II drives
    1 x DVD RW Sata drive
    450W PSU

I've tried a few things already with no improvements;

1. Increased memory voltage to +0.2V
    2. Swapped my system drive for an older IDE 120GB drive
    3. Flashed up to latest firmware F8a (it happened with older too)
    4. Reset all bios settings to defaults
    5. Run in IDE, RAID and AHCI modes

I've never overclocked any of the components in this setup apart from the memory voltage which I saw suggested for 2x2GB in these forums.

Both drives that I have used for System drive have worked flawlessly elsewhere.

The errors only seem to occur from a cold boot.

I suspect theres something wrong with the motherboard, probably the drive controller – does anyone have any suggestions?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA78GM-S2H "The file is possibly corrupt"

What voltage is your ram rated to run at? Maybe it needs 2.1V (+0.3)?

Have you tried adding memory controller voltage (Sorry, I do not know the name of this for AMD, Northbridge or memory controller is what I mean) For 2x2GB often this needs to be adjusted

You may also need to raise tRFC to 195 or 327ns, have you tried that?

The actual checksum error you are mentioning sounds to me like your settings are incorrect and the BIOS is corrupting, which could be caused by incorrect settings related to your ram. Does it happen with only 1 2GB stick? If not than this is likely the issue and we would just need to find the proper settings for you.

Thanks for the response - much appreciated.

The ram I have is Kingston Value Ram so its not exactly high performance! I think its something like 6/6/6/18 or something. I don't know what voltage its rated at but I was wary of going higher than +0.2V as per your sticky thread on the subject.

Thanks to the Ctrl + F1 you also mentioned in your sticky post on memory I've finally found the tRFC settings and have lifted this to 195ns. I'll try 327ns if 195 does not help.

This is a frustrating problem as once the machine is working it usually works just fine through reboots. Troubleshooting is painful when you have to wait hours for the issue to occur again.

I've not tried cutting back to 1GB but will try that next if the timing change doesn't work.

I'll post back with some results.

Ahh well kingston value ram is normally 1.8-1.9 anyway so +0.1 should be all that is needed, using more could cause you issues so maybe you should stick with 1.9V. What does +0.1V give you if you set it, save/apply/reboot back to the BIOS and look in PC Health to see what voltage that setting gives you. Maybe it is way off? Best to check.

If you give me the model # of your ram I can find out for sure what it is rated at.

You may have luck with the raised tRFC as it is often needed. If neither of those higher values helps then you may need to try one stick at a time. If that does not help you may have faulty ram or other issues.

So hey, did you also add memory controller voltage? That is needed for 2x2GB

The ram is <meta http-equiv="CONTENT-TYPE" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><title></title><meta name="GENERATOR" content="OpenOffice.org 3.1 (Win32)"><style type="text/css"> <!-- @page { margin: 2cm } P { margin-bottom: 0.21cm } --></style>KVR 800 D2 N6 2G ( 2GB 800MHz DDR2 Non-ECC CL6 DIMM )

After changing the tRFC to 195ns my OS is showing some instability - odd active-x errors and failing to shutdown properly).

I have lowered the "DDR2 Voltage Control" from +0.2 to +0.1 but that has not changed the OS instability.

Which is the Memory Controller Voltage? I'll presume thats not what I'm changing above?

For voltage the only options I can see are;
    DDR2 Voltage Control (currently on +0.100V)
    Northbridge Volt Control (Set to normal)
    CPU Voltage Control (Set to normal)

Northbridge would be the one, unless if you use the control + F1 hotkey and go back into MIT and look again see memory controller. If not it would be the NB, companies all label things differently is all.

Set NB to +0.15-0.2 and see if that helps stability any

Here is your ram's PDF, just as I thought it is 1.8V (+/- .1V)
    http://www.valueram.com/datasheets/KVR800D2N6_2G.pdf

I booted from cold with the tRFC on 195 and still had the same issue.

I tried removing a stick of ram and this didn't change anything either.

I tried upping the tRFC to 327ns - no change.

I increased the Northbridge voltage to +0.1V (tRFC on 195 & DDR on +0.1) and this booted ok.

I'll repeat with these settings from a cold boot.

Oh and even with the Ctrl + F1 settings I can't see any other voltage related settings. Possibly a difference between AMD and Intel? Or a lower cost motherboard?

Lsdmeasap's advice is perfect as usual, ao I'll leave him to guide you with the stability issue.

Just chiming in about the RAM. I had 4 GB of the exact same stuff. It was pulled from a Packard Bell iMedia PC. In my UD3P it was happy to do both 6-6-6-18 and 5-5-5-18 on 1.8V. Kingston also warranty the sticks for a voltage range of 1.7V-1.9V. Hope this is useful, as you may find a combination of Lsdmeasap's suggested settings and a RAM voltage of 1.9V sorts things out.

Definitely a stability issue of some sort. I've had similar messages about corrupt files when trying overclocked settings. A restore of known stable settings and the messages disappear
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Thanks to both of you for the feedback.

I've not solved this yet - my next cold boot resulted in another missing or corrupt file message. That was with Northbridge voltage at +0.1V , tRFC on 195 & DDR2 on +0.1.

PC Heath is showing the memory running at 1.954V on these settings.

I have however found that my OS presents other unusual errors after booting and won't shut down the virtualization service so I'm working on the theory that something has gone wrong in one of my many reboots and am re-installing (one of the benfits of a hyper-visor - the reinstall is quite quick :-) )

I'm going to start with the DDR at +0.1 and Northbridge at +0.1 and will post back with results.

If you continue to have issues I would go ahead and do a clean install, and also try +0.15-0.2 on your NB

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information