Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for Electrical/Electronic expertise re older keyboard problem (Gigabyte mb)

genegold is offline Member

Default Looking for Electrical/Electronic expertise re keyboard problem (Gigabyte mb)

Rewritten, see below.
    Last edited by genegold; 06-23-2009 at 09:22 PM.

Default Re: Looking for Electrical/Electronic expertise re older keyboard problem (Gigabyte m

Are you serious? What would you even bother using that keyboard? Its probably your keyboard is cactus and its ****ing ur system up.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------

Default Re: Looking for Electrical/Electronic expertise re older keyboard problem (Gigabyte m

I have two keyboards (not used simultaneously):
    - a USB keyboard (Kensington), plugged with a passive adapter into the PS/2 keyboard port
    - an IBM Model M (1989), plugged with one of two (of the best) active adapters into a USB port (adapter is to adjust current/voltage for newer motherboards).

With the Kensington, everything works fine; with the IBM, there is a problem:

Two scenarios:

- Once the computer is warm, power down and then try restarting within 5-10 seconds, the computer starts up - wait longer and it doesn't
    - In the latter case (longer wait), switch USB banks and the the computer powers up

What does that tell you? I can say that it's not a bad USB port per se, because I went back and forth twice (four boots) between the same two on different banks.

(To be clear, no power up or start up means no CPU fan spinning, etc.; only the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights flash on and off, but they sometimes do that even when it does start.)

In the attached screenshot of the motherboard's layout, the two banks I switched between are labeled USB_1394 and USB_1394_1. I didn't try the others this time.

The key hardware is:
    - Gigabyte GA-MA790X-UD4P
    - AMD Athlon 64 X2 7750 Kuma 2.7 GHz Dual Core Black Edition
    - Corsair VX450 PSU
    (all three new)

P.S. Nimrod, for information on the IBM keyboard, look here - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Model_M_Keyboard - and here - www.geekhack.org.
    Last edited by genegold; 06-23-2009 at 10:44 PM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Have you tried disabling Legacy USB Storage Detect in the BIOS? It is in the Integrated Peripherals Page

Can't you just use the IBM in the PS/2 slot?

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Have you tried disabling Legacy USB Storage Detect in the BIOS? It is in the Integrated Peripherals Page

Can't you just use the IBM in the PS/2 slot?
    Typically, the volts/amps don't match between these older keyboards and contemporary motherboards. That's why a direct plug in to the PS/2 slot doesn't work and thus the need for an adapter. I've been trying two of the best, one from Radio Shack and the other known as the blue cube.

If there's no power for starting, then the BIOS setting is not reached.
    Last edited by genegold; 06-23-2009 at 10:21 PM.

Are you sure it does not work? Just wondering if you had tried it or not?

Sounds like it may just be time to let that keyboard go, no offense towards you or the keyboard at all but with keyboards being so cheap these days why ever bother with the hassle?

Also, with your adapters did you try the setting I suggested to disable? It is enabled by default

Are you sure it does not work? Just wondering if you had tried it or not?

Sounds like it may just be time to let that keyboard go, no offense towards you or the keyboard at all but with keyboards being so cheap these days why ever bother with the hassle?

Also, with your adapters did you try the setting I suggested to disable? It is enabled by default
    Yes, I tried the setting change - no difference - tho it struck me as I was doing it that it begged the problem.

Yes, keyboards are cheap these days. That's the point. Lots of people use these older keyboards. So, can we leave that issue behind and deal with the problem as it exists:
    What would cause the need to switch USB banks under the circumstances described - defective PSU or defective/ill-designed motherboard or ...?

To be clear: No power up (start) mean no CPU fan spinning, etc., just the Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights flash on and off repeatedly (but they do that sometimes when it starts, too)
    Last edited by genegold; 06-23-2009 at 10:44 PM.

I do not think it means anything is faulty, just that the keyboard is not fully compatible with that board/BIOS is all.

I know you want to use it, but it looks to me like it will always present these problems. Nothing is faulty, just incompatible is all

I do not think it means anything is faulty, just that the keyboard is not fully compatible with that board/BIOS is all.

I know you want to use it, but it looks to me like it will always present these problems. Nothing is faulty, just incompatible is all
    If that's really true and not just a shrug and guess, the question is why; what's the explanation for the behavior exhibited? Hence, the title of this thread.

Well, it is a guess kind of I suppose, but an educated one for sure.

I would imagine the reason to be just what you had explained, that the keyboard was not made to be used with today's boards thus it is showing incompatibility issues.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information