Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: No vDroop on UD3R mobo?

Default No vDroop on UD3R mobo?

Hi I have a EP45-UD3R mobo that is working great. However, I noticed that the reported voltage values were a little odd, in particular, the vcore. I have E8400 CPU. I currently have vcore set in bios as 1.212. Bios reports the vcore at 1.23v, and CPU-Z reports 1.216v.

To my knowledge, the idle vcore should be lower than the vcore set in bios, but this appears not to be the case? Hopefully I don't have to buy a DMM to find the actual voltages.

Default Re: No vDroop on UD3R mobo?

Vdroop is not he difference between BIOS and Windows (i.e. CPU-Z) but between the voltage under idle and load.

Don't mind the BIOS setting, all that really matters is what CPU-Z shows. Most of the time the setting in BIOS is higher than the actual voltage, but sometiems it's lower, especially if you have loadline calibration enabled.

Sry for my terminology, I guess I meant to say vOffset instead of vDroop.
    I've got LLC disabled.

Based on a quote from anand, "The CPU VID setting establishes the absolute maximum allowable processor supply voltage experienced during transient conditions and is not the target idle voltage," (AnandTech: Overclocking Intel's New 45nm QX9650: The Rules Have Changed)
    I was concerned because what I set in BIOS is what I see in Windows, sometimes a little more, which would point to the nonexistence of voffset.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

It could just be the BIOS version you are using, or that particular voltage setting as some of them can vary widely in the differences at offset and vdroop.

Have you checked to see if several other voltage settings present the same symptoms? If not, do that as it could just be that particular one or the BIOS itself

I have tried on, I guess you could say, 3 voltage settings: 1.25 BIOS, which had a Windows idle of 1.248; Auto BIOS, which had a Windows idle of 1.248 with EIST/C1E disabled; 1.212 BIOS, which has a Windows idle of 1.216v.

I'll update when I test with 1.23 BIOS.

I've got the F3 BIOS and even though everything's working fine, I was considering flashing to the latest.

-edit- I felt it was important to note that while vdroop is apparently present (vcore at load dropped by .02v at both tested voltages), voffset doesn't seem to be working.
    Last edited by riva2model64; 06-24-2009 at 12:27 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, that could just be a BIOS bug then. I would update to the latest final or Beta, I do know they are always refining voltages and since that is a older BIOS it very well could be just that

Thread Information