Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: System won't boot when powered on, only LED's light up.

Default System won't boot when powered on, only LED's light up.

I got all the parts for my new computer in the mail yesterday, and was very excited to put it together. After about 5 hours of working on it, it just wont boot. When I power on the PSU, the power LED on the mobo lights up, and when I hit the case's power button, an orange and a green LED light up near the RAM to denote voltage to the DDR. And that's as far as it goes. I've tried resetting CMOS, and I've tried taking the battery out. Nothing works. If anyone can help me get this running, I would be extremely grateful.

My parts:
    -GIGABYTE GA-EX58-UD4P LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard
    -EVGA 896-P3-1171-AR GeForce GTX 275 Superclocked Edition 896MB 448-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported
    -OCZ StealthXStream OCZ700SXS 700W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Active PFC Power Supply - Retail

-Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail
    -
    G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Triple Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ - Retail
    -
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drives - OEM
    -
    SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q - OEM

Default Re: System won't boot when powered on, only LED's light up.

make sure your memory are in white slots and your graphic card is in the first pci-e slot

MDDI is offline Junior Member

Is the PSU starting (fan spinning)? If not here's how to trouble shoot the PSU. If you don't have a multimeter just jump the green wire and a ground as shown and if the PSU fan does not spin, it's not powering up.

http://www.ochardware.com/articles/psuvolt/psuvolt.html
    Last edited by MDDI; 06-25-2009 at 05:08 AM.

My GPU is unplugged right now for easier access to the mobo. And I'm not good at wiring, so I don't really want to mess around with that, nor does it look like i can really switch the wires around in my power cord.

MDDI is offline Junior Member

Your not going to switch wires, just jump them.
    First, with the 24 pin connector connected to the motherboard, press the power button on your system. You said you noted LED's powering up. Is the fan inside the PSU running?
    If the fan is running, your PSU is starting.
    If not, shut the power supply off with the rocker switch on the backside of the PSU.
    Remove the 24 pin connector from the motherboard.
    You will jump the green wire with the black ground wire next to it using a paper clip, this turns on the PSU. You can jump from the front or back of the connector, just be sure you have good contact on the connection pins.
    After you jump the green and black wires, flip the rocker switch on the back of the PSU to the on position.
    If the PSU does not turn on, verified by the internal fan not running, it is defective.
    Below is a better illiustration of how to jump the green wire and black ground wire on a 20 & 24 pin connector.

Power supplies and cooling devices from PC Power and Cooling, Inc.
    Last edited by MDDI; 06-25-2009 at 10:39 AM.

Hahahah ahhh, that's a lot easier. And yeah, the fan didn't kick on. Thanks man. Looks like I've found my problem. I appreciate the help. A lot.

Mine does the same thing occasionally. Same motherboard. There is an issue that I havent found yet - and I'm pretty sure it not the PSU. I put in a Gigabyte trouble ticket and they told me to take everything out, remove the CMOS battery and jump the clear CMOS pins for 10-15 minutes. This helped the situation, but didnt cure it. You could try that see if it helps. Have a look at the clear CMOS thread on this forum. This issue is commonly referred to as 'cold boot issue'

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

We go a multimeter and tested it. The PSU surges when I turn it on, then dies. Also it appears I'm gonna need to RMA the mobo, since it wouldn't do anything else once we plugged in a second, working, PSU.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ouch, sorry to hear that!! Sounds like the PSU may have died taking the board with it when you first fired it up.

I'd for sure be shooting off an email to the PSU manufacturer. When you get your ned setup be sure you don't have anything grounding you out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information