Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Summer Temps and keeping cool

kick is offline Senior Member

Cool Summer Temps and keeping cool

Im Finally on 2000mhz fsb with 9.2Gb bandwidth at high room temps.

Pics are in this thread.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ud3p...20/index2.html

Changes to ventilation
    After experimenting with 6 auxillary fans(9 total):
    Having 2x 120 mm intake fans wasnt providing any benefit,it actually made the northbridge cooling worse..due to fan x currents probably.

The rear exhaust fans are now in a slightly different layout to the main pic.
    The top 2x80mm are the same,next comes the 90mm (pci slot) fan,now mounted in a slot above the gx card to suck air from the top 2/3 of the case.
    An extra 80mm is now mounted blowing air out thru the bottom 4 pci slots(with the slot case covers removed).

The coolermaster V8 speed regulating pot (which comes with it) is set to max.
    All it really does is change the cpu fan speed range from 800-1800rpm to 900-2000 rpm.
    The main 120mm sys/nb/memory cooling fan is now connected to the pwr fan header so operates at 1700 rpm all the time,and isnt v noisy.

Some of the 80 mm fans ive tried sound like a jet taking off at the normal 2500 rpm 80mm fan speed!.

I removed the perspex cover from the side panel(see linked thread for pic)and covered the whole panel with a black thin material very like what you would see on the front of speakers for a sound system.
    From the side the pc looks like a big speaker:0.
    The glowy leds and blue fan spinning are still very visble in a more "mysterious" way .
    The best thing about it is to clean the pc air filters,all you have to do is lightly vacuum the side panel every week or 2.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Summer Temps and keeping cool

Looks good! Where did you get your material you mention, I been looking for some for a screen under a radgrill

One of the most basic and most efficient cooling vs noise for the PC case is just ONE 120mm rear exhaust fan.
    A quality 120mm 60CFM - ish Quiet PC UK - Ultra-Quiet 120mm fans will help replenish case (medium size) air reasonably quickly - it'll be quiet too.

Quiet PC UK - Quiet Computer Fans for a Virtually Silent PC

If you've had a good previous setup which you know that has worked well and then decide to opt for a different PC case. You can calculate the cubic capacity of your PC case and then calculate how long it will take an exhaust fan to completely (effectively) to empty the case of the current (hot) air. Of course there won't be a vacuum, but it'll give you an idea for case comparison vs fan CFM as to how long a given setup will replenish the cases air.

Unlike blowing air onto components etc to aid cooling, case cooling is all about moving the old air out as efficiently as possible. Adding fans, left right & centre usually has a bad effect on cooling. Often people add so many fans blowing into the case, which has the effect of creating positive pressure, which essentially forces hot air to remain in the case.

Remember, less = more :)
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

I have been looking at getting some Gelid Wing 12 fans, have you heard them running anywhere VorLon or Kick? I have read some reviews and they look and sound good from reviews, but ya never know.

These
    FeppaSpot.com - GELID Solutions WING 12 120mm Case Fan UV Blue / Green with Speed Control for Gamer

Was going to pickup some loud blackfire fans and just tone them down a bit, but they are no longer being made

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I have been looking at getting some Gelid Wing 12 fans, have you heard them running anywhere VorLon or Kick? I have read some reviews and they look and sound good from reviews, but ya never know.

These
    FeppaSpot.com - GELID Solutions WING 12 120mm Case Fan UV Blue / Green with Speed Control for Gamer

Was going to pickup some loud blackfire fans and just tone them down a bit, but they are no longer being made
    I've not heard of those. I've used quite a few makes of fan over the years including quality makes such as PanaFlow and Papst, but the market has really opened up now for the PC enthusiast.
    Trouble is though there's a lot of rubbish around too, often claiming good airflow vs noise figures, when in reality after several hours of use they start to emit all sorts of odd random noises.

I tend to buy all my fans from here these days Quiet PC UK - Quiet Computer Fans for a Virtually Silent PC
    I quite like the idea that they list all the competing fans specifications they sell side by side.

I still end up with fans I've sort of rejected - which are now collecting dust (so to speak). Some have resonated with the case more than others, regardless of speed. Some have "growled" at low speeds. Some have gone into high pitched squeals, often cheaper sleeve bearing types I've used for air intake. Although restricted air flow to a sleeve bearing fan, where you say have a restrictive filter, which is great for dust but not air flow is asking for trouble.
    The basics are, air accelerates as it near's the intake of the fan and deaccelerates as it exhausts the fan - good to remember when you are choosing quality vs location of the fan.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 06-26-2009 at 02:18 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

kick is offline Senior Member

Ok so it isnt hi tech but looks really good and is effective and cheap.

Ill post a pic when I get a chance.
    One roll would do a lot of pc's!.

Gardman Weedgard Weed Control Fabric 12m2 Size - Garden Site - your online Garden Centre

On the gelid fans I dont know,my main 12cm one is akasa which has a listed airflow of over 50 and in practice is quieter than the cpu fan,which itself is supposed to be quiet acoording to the frosty tech site.

ie when my cpu fan spins up to 1500+for testing,I can hear it .Other than that for all normal running things have that average pc sound.You know there is something going on but its not annoying,unlike some fans ive tried .
    The other 12cm fan I was trying was also akasa one that is speed limited to 1400rpm /low air impedance but it doesnt seem to have the airflow of the other at 1300 rpm even, when mounted in the same position..

Without going into it too much 2 of my 8cm fans are like 6 and 9 year old ones from dare I say it dell machines;0 They seem to move a lot of air with low noise.

Its understandable tho.Dell etc want low noise,(to keep the customers happy) high thruput,(so they will only have to include one for cost reasons)low power consumption(take a look at the wattage rating of dell psu's) fans.
    I have a 9cm ex dell one 2.2w rated thats really heavy and pumps a lot of air but Ive no room for it :0

The disadvantage is a slightly odd wiring arrangement for speed monitoring so people wont salvage the fans ,that doesnt matter if they are molex connector pwered tho,as they will be running full speed the whole time.
    Ive found at least.
    Last edited by kick; 06-26-2009 at 10:01 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post

These

Am running 2 of the green models with the controllers in my Sonata II. Pretty inaudible at the lowest speed (800+ RPM), but they vibrate the case at half speed.
    Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 SLB9Y @ 3.8GHz, 1.36V
    Thermolab Baram + Scythe S-Flex SFF21F
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P Rev.1.6, FB
    G.Skill F2-6400CL4D-4GBPI-B x 2 @ 448MHz
    XFX GeForce 7100GS
    Western Digital WD6400AAKS + WD1600AAJS
    BenQ DW1650, Pioneer DVR-115BK
    Antec Sonata II, Corsair CMPSU-520HX
    Gelid Wing 12 x 2 @ 850RPM
    Enermax Aurora Premium KB007U-B, Razer Diamondback 3G
    Dell UltraSharp 2007WFP Rev.A04 (LG.Philips IPS), Grado iGrado Black
    Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 x 2 @ DD-WRT + Tomato

Kick you Da Man.. whoever would of thunk about gardening fabric?

Thread Information