Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: HDD LED problem with EX58-UD4P in Antec P183 case

Question HDD LED problem with EX58-UD4P in Antec P183 case - Resolved

Hi guys,
    I've just built a new PC for a friend and have come across a strange problem. When I got it all up and running the HDD LED wasn't working so I initially thought I must have connected it up back to front. I swapped it around but it still wasn't working so I then thought that there was something wrong with either the case wiring or the motherboard's HDD LED output. I tried connecting the HDD LED to a battery and it lit up fine so I then presumed that the motherboard was faulty and exchanged it for a new one but after I installed the new one I still had the same problem.

I then double checked the case LED with a battery again and it was still fine so I then checked the motherboard LED output with a multimeter. While the multimeter was nowhere near fast enough to keep up with the switching speed of the LED output I could at least see that there was some output there and that it was switching between about 5v and a lower voltage so both the motherboard and the LED appear OK yet when they are connected to each other don't work.

I then tried connecting the case's power LED to the motherboard HDD LED output and that works fine so it appears that for some reason the motherboard just doesn't have enough grunt to drive the HDD LED even though it can run the power LED OK from the HDD LED output.

I've never come across this problem before so I was just wondering if any of you guys have and if you had a solution ?

Thanks,

Stephen.

Most relevant parts of build:

Gigabyte EX58-UD4P motherboard running BIOS version F7 (as shipped)
    Antec P183 case
    2 x Seagate 7200.12 1TB drives in mirrored RAID running off ports 0 & 1 of the Intel controller
    1 x Sony Optiarc AD7200S DVD drive running off port 2 of the Intel controller
    Thermaltake Qfan 750W PSU

Edit: I have also tried connecting the case HDD LED up to the GND and +5v pins of one of the USB headers on the motherboard and that lights the LED up no problems.
    Last edited by X48T-DQ6; 08-05-2009 at 04:42 AM.

Thumbs up Re: HDD LED problem with EX58-UD4P in Antec P183 case

I have the same problem on a new EX58-UD5 with Antec case P193 . Someone else built the system so I havent done all the diagnostic work that you did. When I asked the system builder about the problem, he mentioned the possibility of switching the connections. After looking at the Gigabyte mobo layout, it seemed like a simple task. The last time I looked inside the case, I got cold feet, as everything was so small. I wasnt confident I knew what I was doing .
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 rev 1, BIOS F13J
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Intel i7-920 c0
    Kingston Hyperx RAM 3x2gb PC-12800 DDR3-1600
    eVGA GeForce 250 GTS 1gb DDR3
    2x OCZ Vertex SSD 120gb
    2x Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb
    Western Digital Raptor 150gb
    Intel X-25M SSD G2 80gb
    Plextor PX-850SA DVD
    Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 550w
    Zalman 9900 cooler
    Antec P193 case
    Logitech G510 keyboard

Default Re: HDD LED problem with EX58-UD4P in Antec P183 case

Quote Originally Posted by bnc321 View Post
    I have the same problem on a new EX58-UD5 with Antec case P193 . Someone else built the system so I havent done all the diagnostic work that you did. When I asked the system builder about the problem, he mentioned the possibility of switching the connections.
    I hope that was a friend who built it for you for free because if you paid someone to build it and they left it in that state it's pretty ordinary. When the builder mentioned swapping the connections around did they just think they had connected the LED up back to front or did they mean that you could use the case power LED as your HDD LED and live without a power LED ?

I currently have the HDD LED of the P183 case connected to my X48T-DQ6 motherboard and that can't drive it either so I have pretty much come to the conclusion that it is the fault of the HDD LED in the case. My problem is what to do about it because even if I return the case under warranty and get another one I may still have the problem given the fact that you do too.

The HDD LED's sensitivity could be faulty. Although it looks like a light bulb it is a diode.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LED Contact Antec give them your model number and ask for a new HDD LED They are aware of this issue.
    Last edited by artdrivers; 06-26-2009 at 11:41 PM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

Smile Re: HDD LED problem with EX58-UD4P in Antec P183 case

Quote Originally Posted by X48T-DQ6 View Post
    I hope that was a friend who built it for you for free because if you paid someone to build it and they left it in that state it's pretty ordinary. When the builder mentioned swapping the connections around did they just think they had connected the LED up back to front or did they mean that you could use the case power LED as your HDD LED and live without a power LED ?

I currently have the HDD LED of the P183 case connected to my X48T-DQ6 motherboard and that can't drive it either so I have pretty much come to the conclusion that it is the fault of the HDD LED in the case. My problem is what to do about it because even if I return the case under warranty and get another one I may still have the problem given the fact that you do too.
    The HDD LED problem was not discovered until several days after I got the system. When discussing it with the builder over the phone, I quoted the Antec P193 manual :

"For LEDs, colored wires are positive ( + ). White or black wires are negative ( ). If the LED does not light up when the system is powered on, try reversing the connection."

Since I was reluctant to try reversing the connection myself, we ageed that the builder would look at it the next time I was in the area (40 mile drive). I had other system instability issues when I first got it, ( http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-e...freezes-32308/ ) so the failing HDD LED wasnt all that important.

I have since solved all other problems. This issue is the only problem that still exists
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 rev 1, BIOS F13J
    Windows 7 Pro x64
    Intel i7-920 c0
    Kingston Hyperx RAM 3x2gb PC-12800 DDR3-1600
    eVGA GeForce 250 GTS 1gb DDR3
    2x OCZ Vertex SSD 120gb
    2x Western Digital Caviar Black 1tb
    Western Digital Raptor 150gb
    Intel X-25M SSD G2 80gb
    Plextor PX-850SA DVD
    Seasonic S12 Energy Plus 550w
    Zalman 9900 cooler
    Antec P193 case
    Logitech G510 keyboard

For anyone who arrives here via a search some time in the future I ended up sending the case back under warranty and they replaced the LED in it. It is now working fine so wasn't a problem with the motherboard after all.

They did a pitiful job of replacing the LED but that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by X48T-DQ6 View Post
    For anyone who arrives here via a search some time in the future I ended up sending the case back under warranty and they replaced the LED in it. It is now working fine so wasn't a problem with the motherboard after all.

They did a pitiful job of replacing the LED but that's another story.

That's why artdrivers said have them send you led so you can put it in yourself. sending anything in to be fixed by a manufacturer is an extreme last resort if one values the condition of their hardware.
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P F10d
    Intel i7 920 D0 3.8Ghz 181x21 1.24375Vcore 1.195QPI/Vtt
    Noctua NH-U12P SE1366 push-pull, vertically mounted
    3x2GB G.Skill DD3 1600 F3-12800CL9T-6GBNQ 8-8-8-21-1T 1.54v
    2x EVGA GeForce GTX 260 Core 216 SLI 700-1500-1200
    CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W PSU
    2x WD Caviar Black 640GB in Raid 0, 64KB stripes, 250GB short stroke
    WD Caviar Black 1TB
    Antec 1200 Gamer Case
    Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Thread Information