Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-EP45-DS5 hard drive problems

Unhappy GA-EP45-DS5 hard drive problems

Hello everyone,

ive got the ep-45-ds5 mobo with and im having major problems with hard drives.

problem has existed since i put the system together just before xmas. the problem am experiencing are very strange, i bought a velociraptor 300GB and installed vista, i was getting random reboots i thought nothing of it i used the latest drivers from the gigabyte site. recently i installed windows 7 everything was fine to begin with, until i started hearing clicking noises and sticking where the desktop would freeze and sometimes BSOD other times would sit like that for ages.

so i took it out and put a samsung 500GB in there and installed windows 7 again. installed ok and ran fine for couple weeks then same thing. so i RMA'd the drive and bought another 2 500GB samsungs installed windows again and days after same thing happened again. i plugged all the drives back in and they all started clicking. the drives sound like they keep spinning up and down. somtimes i would hav difficulty loading the OS where it would hang.

in bios im using IDE mode, no RAID OR IACH. using latest f12 bios.

is there a known issue with the samsungs or the velociraptor. i have another 6 x 500GB samsungs which are working fine some in a RAID config on a older gigabyte board K8NXP-SLI.

ive done memtest86+ for hours did 7 passes and no errors.

specs:

INTEL Q9550
    G.SKILLS 8500CL5 4GB
    NVIDIA GTS8800 320MB
    1 X VELOCIRAPTOR
    3 X 500GB SAMSUNGS
    SATA Samsung DVDRW

I think the sata controller is faulty, i have been issued with an RMA is there anything else i can try before i ship it off?

any help will be much appreciated.

thank you.

Default Re: GA-EP45-DS5 hard drive problems

Personally I would have tried WDC Diagnostics and now Samsungs HD utility.

However, seeing its happened with both drives and Memtest doesn't report any memory errors, I would focus on two items:-

Check/Replace/Swap

1) Sata Data Cable
    2) Sata Power cable/plug

Also you don't mention what Power supply you are using. Unless you use staggered spin up which isn't supported on all motherboard, the startup current could be in the region of 10amps (total) for those 4 drives. This is off the 12 volt rail. If you have a true two 12 volt rail PSU then connect 2 drives to each, ie balance them out.

Are you using any 4 pin molex to sata converters? (power)

Edit:

If you create the Western Digital Diagnostic disc (iso image) and/or Samsungs utility too (iso image), they will both work on most makes of drive, although there may be some manufacturer specific tests, yet you will bypass all Windows drivers. If the fault still exists after doing the "Extended" test in wdc diagnostics, then you know its down to PSU, DRIVE, Chipset, Cables or Connectors and nothing windows orientated.
    Last edited by VorLonUK; 06-26-2009 at 06:46 AM.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Quote Originally Posted by VorLonUK View Post
    Personally I would have tried WDC Diagnostics and now Samsungs HD utility.

However, seeing its happened with both drives and Memtest doesn't report any memory errors, I would focus on two items:-

Check/Replace/Swap

1) Sata Data Cable
    2) Sata Power cable/plug

Also you don't mention what Power supply you are using. Unless you use staggered spin up which isn't supported on all motherboard, the startup current could be in the region of 10amps (total) for those 4 drives. This is off the 12 volt rail. If you have a true two 12 volt rail PSU then connect 2 drives to each, ie balance them out.

Are you using any 4 pin molex to sata converters? (power)

Edit:

If you create the Western Digital Diagnostic disc (iso image) and/or Samsungs utility too (iso image), they will both work on most makes of drive, although there may be some manufacturer specific tests, yet you will bypass all Windows drivers. If the fault still exists after doing the "Extended" test in wdc diagnostics, then you know its down to PSU, DRIVE, Chipset, Cables or Connectors and nothing windows orientated.
    hi there, thanks for your reply, i have done the diagnostic checks with both the WD tool that was a windows tool as recomended for the velociraptor. and the samsung i used there ESTOOL which runs in DOS mode and no errors on drives.

sorry i thought id forgotten something, the PSU is a Coolermaster 850Watts modular.

i dont think it could be th ePSU as theres hardly any load this problem occurs when theres only 1 drive in system too. i used 2 seperate cables 1 for the dvd drive and the other for the HD.

the power cables are SATA not Molex.

i have replaced the orange gigabyte sata cables for blue DELL ones made by foxconn.

p.s. staggered spin up? sounds familiar can i disable this feature?

thank you for replying much appreciated :)

Your board might not support staggered spin up as it's more targeted towards server setups. It's implemented so that the hard drive satrt at different time intervals effectively keeping the start up current to the PSU as low as possible. hard drives take around 2 - 3x their normal r/w current during start up.

What i would do next is use the DOS versions which come in an ISO format to be burnt to CDr of either manufacturer and run the extended a few times whilst CAREFULLY & Gently applying a little pressure to the sata plugs and cables.
    If after the hard drives run their extended tests (which take awhile) without problems, then it could be time to look elsewhere.

I would install Vista + SP2 and then run Vista's Memory Diagnostic in the extended mode. It takes around 2-3 hours with 4gb of ram for one pass in extended mode to complete.

What you really need to establish is, does the fault happen regardless if the PC is in DOS or Windows.

Also are you familiar with Linux Distro's and if so the function of a "Live CD"? If so, using your favourite Distro is an excellent way of testing the PC without any interference from windows.
    GA-P35C-DS3R Rev2.0 F11 bios, E8200 (@3.0Ghz), OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666 Reaper 4GB (@1200Mhz), Xonar D1, 8800GTS 512, Corsair HX520 (Single 12volt line, Max 40A), WDC 3200aaks/5000aaks in AHCI mode, Vista 64 Premium.

Hi VorLonUK,

ive done the extended tests for both the WD & Samsung drives both in DOS and no errors!

before i did the Diagnostics in DOS i borrowed a copy of VISTA SP1 from a friend and tried to install, on the WD it got stuck at 4% where it decompresses the install files and during this the drive was cold?

the samsung got to 10% but sounded like a time bomb!! it was clicking constantly.

im really confused as clicking drives usually reprasent bad sectors, but doings the diagnostics in DOS the drives past all tests.

im not that familiar with linux but i am downloading fedora 11 x64 live cd, wot do i do once installed?

many thanks for all your help.

With the linux distro, all you do is make sure your Dvd/cd drive is in the bios bootup list and start the pc with the created disc in the drive. If it's a live cd, it will indicate so on its start menu. If you select live cd mode it will run from that cd/dvd. Some distros will use ram as a virtual ultra fast hard drive.
    Either which way using the distro in livecd mode should not affect the data ie a windows install on your hard drive - it is completely independant.

Out of interest, are all you bios settings at default? ie have you changed any settings that are in respect to the hard drive controller (ichxx)?

I still would like you to run a drive in extended mode and VERY gently prod the sata cables, power and data at their connection points at the drive and the data ones on the motherboard. VERY slightly flex all the cables too, especially if your psu is modular whilst the extended test is running.

Also if there is no data of importance on the HD's please write zeros on a Full erase to the HD and then run the extended test. This way any corrupt data will be erased, well everything will be ERASED!

cool cant wait to see what linux looks like :) once there do i run diagnostics or just leave it to run and see if the hard drives get stuck and start clicking like previously?

funny you should mention the writing Zero's i already did that after running a extended test a few days back. im currently doing a low level format on the samsung HD.

when i wrote Zeros to the WD and tried to install windows it wouldnt accept the drive kept coming up with unable to install. i had to format it once i got the samsung running.

do you think it could be a psu related issue? my brother also has the same PSU im going to borrow that over the weekend to eliminate that. ill have a bash with the linux once the downloads complete.

ill try messing with the sata cables with doing extended tests just a lil hard with the radio mrs in the background and lil ones ;)

bios setting are pretty much default settings, ive left drives in IDE mode, disabled the raid and AHCI(which i would like to use) any i can change?

thanks again!
    Last edited by elite786; 06-27-2009 at 04:07 AM. Reason: left out details

Obviously you'll always need to partition and format the drive after writing zero's to it with diagnostic software such as WDC or samsung diagnostic utility.
    Usually windows allows you to create and format a partition prior to installation of the OS.

WDC do two levels of zeroing (not sure about the samsung). WDC do either the zeroing for the first and last million sectors which is fine if the hard drive is known as good and you want to re-arrange the HD partitions and/or change the format type (and you want to do it cleanly). Or you can do a full erase which writes to each sector. This is useful if a disc sector is failing as the utility will check if writing to the disk is ok and if it's not will attempt to repair it if poss (ideally you should use the correct makes together ie wdc software with wdc drive especially when attempting to repair errors. For most other actions a Seagate utility will work on a Wdc drive, as will a Hitachi utility work on a Seagate drive).

As far as the bios goes, i'd leave the Chipset in IDE mode for now, especially as you are testing. Drives should be put into Native mode for XP,Vista,Win7 when the problems have been sorted.

Hi mate,

ok after hours of extended tests, 2 of the samsungs have come up with issues 1 has countless Bad Sectors and the other the low level format said there was a problem with drive.1 of the samsungs is RMA of a RMA! i think ill be swtiching to another make of drives when i upgrade everything to 1TB

the other WD and samsungs passed extended test no problems so i know ive got 2 working HDs

so far ive isntalled vista SP1 x64 ultimate on the velociraptor and everything went smooth, the install was sluggish but ive been told vista is like that, its a genuine copy i got from a mate of mines.

ive changed a few things in bios, ive manually input my memory timing.

HD settings ive changed to NATIVE Sata as opposed to LEgacy. install went without a hitch and so far no clunking n slowing down on the WD. touch wood seems to be ok i couldnt even get this far previously.

another thing after spending days of reading i also notice i was using a standard kettle cord, i read in a review the coolermaster should be connected using the cable supplied since it was a euro connector i gave it the chop and fitted a 13amp uk plug. the cable is almost double the size in thickness so dont know if this helped. im not going to start counting my chicken yet.

so far ive downloaded lots of tools, the temp of HD is 26degrees, under tests it went up to 29! which i was impressed with. ive run the intel test boy there not wrong calling it a stress test the quad cores reached 77degrees!! im using the stock cooler. if i dont go watercooling ill be getting an aftermarket cooler as i think 77 is waaay to high.

is there any other tests thatll benchmark the HDs and entire system?

thanks for taking time to help, this is my first intel setup always been a AMD fan since the K7 cpus up to the opteron 185 which im using in my other rig.

im going to plug the working samsung in and do a full format and see what happens.

i would changed one thing at a time but seeing as ive spent days trying to figure things out i just changed everything i could think of.

thanks again mate.
    GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DS5 F12 BIOS
    INTEL Q9550 2.83Ghz
    G.SKILLS 4GB PC8500 1066Mhz
    XFX 8800GTS 320MB
    COOLERMASTER REAL POWER 850W PSU
    WD 300GB VELOCIRAPTOR
    3 X 500GB SAMSUNG F1
    AKASA ECLIPSE CASE

Just a thought have you concidered changing the SATA cables?
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan