Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Changing to RAID 0

Default Changing to RAID 0

Hello

I have been running my PC with 1 disk. Now I am thinking of going into RAID 0 for better gaming. What do I need to buy to do this. My mobo is EP45-DS4, present drive is Samsung HD753LJ 750GB.

thanks

krishan
    krishan

EP45-DS4
    E8500
    4G Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D 1066MHz 2.1V
    Samsung spinpoint F1 750GB
    XFX 898MB 260GTX
    Corsair HX620

Default Re: Changing to RAID 0

First of all how many devices do you have plugged into your SATA connectors on your motherboard?

You will not see an increase in gaming with a RAID configuration >period< RAID0 is for quicker storage data transfer rates.
    It will not make a difference for gaming.
    http://forums.guestbook.com.tw/thread-2194-1-1.html

If you want RAID-0 you need 2 Hard drives partitioned for RAID You will need the RAID drivers as well and a floppy drive the drivers can be loaded to a floppy. You also will need to set your SATA controller to RAID in Bios. You will not be able to run RAID and a SATA DVD drive or SATA cd drive on the same controller they are SATA/native IDE You also wont be able to use any SATA/Native IDE or IDE/PATA Hard drives on that controller.

Me I would purchase a fast SATAII/RAID PCI or PCIE card. So I could use my onbaoard for SATA/PATA or Native IDE
    But I don't transfer much storage data or files.

Scroll down download the SATA-RAID drivers for the OS you are installing and
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Service/R...earch=Overview

If you are still unsure about the process, it is outlined with images in your manual.
    http://china.giga-byte.com/FileList/...5-ds4(p)_e.pdf
    Last edited by artdrivers; 06-27-2009 at 03:00 PM.
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/gigabyte...ench-test.html
    http://www.gigabyte-usa.com/FileList...ios_qflash.pdf
    Phenom II 945 @ 3.2Ghz w/Thermaltake Big Typhoon Pro 14 CPU Cooler
    Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H rev.1.1 F11
    Sapphire 3870HD / 100225L / 512MB / ddr4
    4GB / Kingston / KHX8500D2K2/2GN / 5-5-5-18 / 1066Mhz
    (2) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA RAID-0
    (1) WD Caviar / WD2500AAKS/ 250GB in SATA AHCI
    (2) IDE's 1 8XdualDVDRW 1 52x32x52x CDRW
    Antec /Neo HE550 / 550W
    Mid size ATX case with show through panel
    2) 80x80 front fans (1) 120x120 rear fan and small nb fan
    Microsoft comfort curve USB keyboard 2000 ver.1.0
    Logitech G500 USB mouse
    Monitor: CMV937A
    7.1+2 Channel High Definition ALC889A
    Dual boot Windows 7 32bit home & Windows 7 64bit home

KayossZero is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Re: Changing to RAID 0

Quote Originally Posted by artdrivers View Post
    First of all how many devices do you have plugged into your SATA connectors on your motherboard?

You will not see an increase in gaming with a RAID configuration >period< RAID0 is for quicker storage data transfer rates.
    It will not make a difference for gaming.
    Computers - The Truth about Raid - Games - Business Computers ,Business ,Software ,Games - Powered by Discuz!

If you want RAID-0 you need 2 Hard drives partitioned for RAID You will need the RAID drivers as well and a floppy drive the drivers can be loaded to a floppy. You also will need to set your SATA controller to RAID in Bios. You will not be able to run RAID and a SATA DVD drive or SATA cd drive on the same controller they are SATA/native IDE You also wont be able to use any SATA/Native IDE or IDE/PATA Hard drives on that controller.

Me I would purchase a fast SATAII/RAID PCI or PCIE card. So I could use my onbaoard for SATA/PATA or Native IDE
    But I don't transfer much storage data or files.

Scroll down download the SATA-RAID drivers for the OS you are installing and
    GIGABYTE Motherboard GA-EP45-DS4 (rev. 1.0) Overview Service.

If you are still unsure about the process, it is outlined with images in your manual.
    http://china.giga-byte.com/FileList/Manual/motherboard_manual_ga-ep45-ds4(p)_e.pdf
    A couple points, #1 if FPS is what you're concerned about then you're 100% right hard disks don't affect FPS what so ever and thus raid is a waste. #2 However does pertain to games and that is how fast you load both the game initially and #3 is subsequently if the game is dynamically loading content/you're receiving a lot of stuttering during gameplay (good examples would be Diablo 2/GTA4/WoW) then raid helps even further. WoW for example would see a huge benefit from raid (much less stuttering, especially on a lower end system say 2GB ram or less and an ancient video card with less VRAM than todays) because it has to constantly load level data/creature data/NPC data/player data when you go from zone to zone, instance to instance.

To the OP: basically it comes down to whether you want to load games faster than others, if you want to be almost 100% guaranteed to be one of the first pilots to spawn in Battlefield X and steal the plane/tank before the masses then raid is for you.

If however the process seems complicated/the failure rate that is doubled due to Raid 0 seems too great then I suggest you buy one of these puppies: Western Digital Caviar Black Newegg.com - Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - Internal Hard Drives make sure to get one that is 640GB or larger (so it has dual platters) these things scream fast even just as a single drive, for speed that doesn't cost as much as a SSD or Raptor or Raid this is what to get.

Finally I'd like to point out you have another two options for greatly speeding up any hard drive ever made and the second one is 100% free.

#1 Ultimate Defrag UltimateDefrag - The Defragger For Power Users - Home with this program you are able to do what 99% of them can't. Place high performance (Windows Files/Game Data etc.) data at the outer edge of the HD tracks and place archive data (Movies/Music Files/Old games that don't need to be loaded fast etc.) in the inner tracks. You can also move and resize the MFT which can be bloated to hell especially in WinXP, and move the pagefile to a more optimized location.

The result of using a program like this (or say Perfect Disk/Disk Keeper/O&ODefrag) is that your HD becomes so optimized that it can feel much much faster when dealing with high performance data because data at the outer edges of the hard drive are much much faster than at the inner. Next to CfosSpeed (a traffic shaping program so you can download/upload and play games/surf the net with no lag) Ultimate Defrag (or another program like it) is an essential program to me due to the performance you get.

#2 Is simply using a trimmed down OS (custom made with garbage removed) or doing it your self and learning about and turning off unneeded services and programs that load on start up and can slow down the computer.

Default Re: Changing to RAID 0

Ok, reading what you guys have said I am not going ahead with RAID0 but I have ordered a WD VelociRaptor 150GB, now this is 4.2ms random seek time compared to my 8.9ms seek time on my present samsung F1 spinpoint. I only play FSX, with loads secenary constantly from HDD, into memory I believe, so hopefully this would reduce any stutters which I have when flying low over the busyest airports.

krishan
    krishan

EP45-DS4
    E8500
    4G Corsair CM2X1024-8500C5D 1066MHz 2.1V
    Samsung spinpoint F1 750GB
    XFX 898MB 260GTX
    Corsair HX620

Thread Information