Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GA-945p-DQ6 Won't POST after bios "auto-update"

Default GA-945p-DQ6 Won't POST after bios "auto-update"

Don't know why my board restarted and started to "update" the bios (for no reason) and after the unsuccessful "update" my board doesn't start and doesn't beep at all...

Fans spin for a couple of second and stop... the famous reboot cycle.

I've tried to short-circuit the pins 5-6 of the main bios so it would force the board to access the backup bios but nothing happened...(as described on other topics)

Is there anything left to do ?

Don't know about warranty period since I've lost my newegg account and can't retreive my invoice. Oh Boy I hate this... stoped buying Asus after a 3 in a roll major crashes (due to a bad batch of boards) and now seems that I'll have to stop buying gigabyte boards too because theres other user with the same problem as I am.
    Motherboard : Gigabyte GA-965P-DQ6 (rev 1.0)
    CPU : Intel Core2Duo E6400
    Memory: 2x1GB DDR2 Corsair Xms2 4-4-4-12
    Video: XFX Nvidia Ge-Force 7600GS
    PSU: Enermax Coolergiant 485w (EG485AX-VHB)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-945p-DQ6 Won't POST after bios "auto-update"

Do you have a floppy drive already connected? If so you can try a blind flash as outlined in the Qflash guide here >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

How many times did you try to short the BIOS, and are you sure you are doing the MAIN BIOS and not the Backup chip? Just checking

Have you tried your ram in another board to be sure it is still ok? Could have been why the BIOS Corrupted to begin with, also check the CPU in another setup if you can.

Your warranty is valid for 3 years, but you do need the invoice #. What do you mean you lost your newegg account? If you are locked out you can call them and have them reset it.

You may also be able to file a RMA without a invoice, not sure, as all the really need to know is the manufacturer date which is part of the serial # anyway. Have you tried to setup a RMA? If not, go ahead and try and see if it is approved or not >>
    RMA

I'd go ahead and state that you cannot find your invoice as opposed to just leaving that blank and having to wait for them to reply to your reply back about it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Do you have a floppy drive already connected? If so you can try a blind flash as outlined in the Qflash guide here >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

How many times did you try to short the BIOS, and are you sure you are doing the MAIN BIOS and not the Backup chip? Just checking

Have you tried your ram in another board to be sure it is still ok? Could have been why the BIOS Corrupted to begin with, also check the CPU in another setup if you can.

Your warranty is valid for 3 years, but you do need the invoice #. What do you mean you lost your newegg account? If you are locked out you can call them and have them reset it.

You may also be able to file a RMA without a invoice, not sure, as all the really need to know is the manufacturer date which is part of the serial # anyway. Have you tried to setup a RMA? If not, go ahead and try and see if it is approved or not >>
    RMA

I'd go ahead and state that you cannot find your invoice as opposed to just leaving that blank and having to wait for them to reply to your reply back about it all.
    Thanks for replying Lsdmeasap.

Don't have a available floppy to test it out... but I'm 99% sure it won't help since its on a reboot cicle.

Today I've tested with spare parts:

Main cpu, ddr2, video card..all functioned without a problem on a basic gigabyte board that I had laying around.

Got a spare kingston 1gb ddr2 with different voltage from the corsair and tested on the dq6 board... nothing happened, the same goes for another cpu E4400 that i've tested on the dq6.

about the newegg, actually I'm in Brazil so it make things a little harder... the fact is that I've setup a account when I bought this setup and never logged again so I can even remember the email address that I've used (and I have tons of emails...I know...its my fault for losing it).

Tried the RMA link that you provided..guess I'll have to wait to see if its approved.

About the BIOS chips... I can't be 100% sure about it but I've only short circuited the chip next to the "main_bios" and not the one next to the "bp_bios". Identified the pin 1 with the blue mark on it and read carefully the pdf with the chip pins layout.

I just can't really beleive that the board bicked itself alone... this dual bios "technology" should be "smarter"... but it proved to be actually really dumb since I was not even trying to update the bios, the board did it all alone.

Unless you're running Gigabytes auto update utility in the back ground I'm guessing the board has gone a little nuts. It may have encountered BIOS corruption, and tried to restore from the backup (you may have gotten the "update" message because of this). it's possible that the backup was also corrupt. In this case, regardless of the technology used, the only sollution is to send it off to somewhere with the facility to either flash the BIOS without the need for the board to be able to boot, or replace the CMOS chips themselves.

I understand your frustration. It seems like the more complex technology gets, the more things have the opportunity to go wrong.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Psycho101,

Never used auto-update or finetune utility... Board went crazy (maybe it commited suicide. LOL).

From what I can imagine, like you said... I probably have both bios corrupted.

Gigabyte refused my RMA since my adddres is in Brazil... I even told them I would pay for the shipping charges...

Guess I'll have to send this board to a non-authorized tech service.

Funny thing I noticed today at Gigabyte website:

GIGABYTE Motherboard GA-965P-DQ6 (rev. 1.0)
    BIOS
    Version Date Description
    F13 2009/06/25 1. Support Xpress BIOS Rescue function

Description os Xpress Bios Rescue:

1. Assure BIOS is functional at all times
    2. No CD / Floppy Disk support needed
    3. Fully automated process, no command line needed
    4. No worry for storing wrong BIOS data
    5. Reduce RMA rates
    6. No additional cost with similar protection as DualBIOSTM
    ... that made me laugh real hard.

They've added a new bios 4 days ago with a new feature that prevents what happened to me ... only two days after my board bricked itself.

So they know that the board has a problem with the "old" dual-bios system.
    Last edited by RMRio; 06-30-2009 at 03:41 AM. Reason: adjusting the quote box

Chike is offline Senior Member

Xpress Bios Rescue Auto recovers damaged BIOS to its original state! BIOS Image is stored in your HDD hidden area automatically when system boots up.
    I guess now they done corrupting your bios they go for your disk LOL

Damn! Too little too late as regards to the usefulness of that BIOS for you. Typical eh?

I'm a little shocked that Gigabyte refused your RMA request because you live in Brazil. A good friend of my fathers RMA'd his board a little while ago, and he was living in Trinidad at the time. I believe that's relatively close to Brazil (been a long time between Geography lessons, so I may be wrong).

I would suggest you get in touch with Lsdmeasap via PM and ask him if he can check with his contacts. Refusing an RMA on where you live is kind of "postal racism", and should not be tollerated.

Hope you get it sorted out!
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by chike View Post
    i guess now they done corrupting your bios they go for your disk lol
    lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    Damn! Too little too late as regards to the usefulness of that BIOS for you. Typical eh?

I'm a little shocked that Gigabyte refused your RMA request because you live in Brazil. A good friend of my fathers RMA'd his board a little while ago, and he was living in Trinidad at the time. I believe that's relatively close to Brazil (been a long time between Geography lessons, so I may be wrong).

I would suggest you get in touch with Lsdmeasap via PM and ask him if he can check with his contacts. Refusing an RMA on where you live is kind of "postal racism", and should not be tollerated.

Hope you get it sorted out!
    Sorry for the delayed answer psycho101...

I'm also schocked that they refused my RMA. I would pay for everything and even so they didn't care (my board was bought in USA, so it is their "problem" to solve).

Sended the board to a non-authorized tech repair here in Brazil and today got the answer that the board is alive again. They had to de-solder both bios and record the F13 version on it...after soldered back to the pcb... ITS ALIVE :D

Just waiting for the Sedex guy (express service of post office) to bring it back.

after all... my impression of gigabyte customer service is BAD. But luckily I found this tech repair center that was able to do the job gigabyte was supposed to. (it cost me $50...wich is OK...cheaper then sending the board to USA).

ps: Trinidad is between USA and Brazil I would say (closer to usa)... But that's not the problem... the problem is the "postal racism" as you said earlier. Gigabyte Brazil left me un-answered...Gigabyte USA refused me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information