Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-MA790X-UD4P hangs on boot.

Default GA-MA790X-UD4P hangs on boot.

Hello everyone, this was my first system build just got it together this past week, and there's something I wanted to see if I could fix. It's running a SATA hard drive, and I recently tried updating the BIOS to F5 to see if that'd help at all, but it doesn't seem to have.

I'm not a tech buff by any means, so I apologize if I sound like a doofus trying to explain this. For the first several days, it would work fine. I installed Vista 64bit without issue, and the only problem was that sometimes when I powered on the system it'd hang upon trying to load the operating system, where it normally would give you the Windows loading bar, it would just hang on a black screen. I never let it sit for more than five minutes or so, I just hit the reset button and it worked flawlessly afterwards.

Lately though, it's been doing more than just that - it's been hanging on the first screen you see upon turning the power on (the...POST screen?) Where it shows you the motherboard brand and gives you the oppurtunity for POST, BIOS, Boot Menu, etc. It will sit on this screen for a good five to ten minutes before moving on - and during this time, I don't seem to be able to actually hit any of the buttons to get me into the BIOS unless I keep hitting it so that I get it right as it's finished doing whatever it's doing.

I'd posted this elsewhere and was told the following:

Couple possibilities there.

First, I suspect you are using SATA drives. When SATA was young, there were just such issues...... May want to check you bios date, and see if there isn't a newer one.

Second, Check bios settings...... sometimes, it will want to count every little bit of memory. (literally) with a boatload of memory, that can take a while...... or, if you have it set to Auto seek drives and such, sometimes that doesn't work as well as one would like. I prefer to just TELL bios what drives I have in there, and not worry about whether it is going to figure is out this time. This method is not always assured to work for optical drives though.
    I updated my BIOS, that didn't help at all. I'm running 4GB of G. Skill 1100 - which seems to be running at 1066 but I really wasn't too concerned about it. Memory clock is set to auto as are all the voltages and timing. Whatever it's doing, it doesn't seem like it ever FAILS to load eventually - it's just doing...something that takes a long time. And whenever I get windows loaded, I can log in and have everything loaded in a matter of seconds without flaw. It's just the initial load that seems to be the problem.

My one SATA drive is connected/detected via Native IDE and set to do so automatically.

I'm not able to find any type of settings he was referring to so far as having it more quickly detect all of my RAM, and that sort of thing.

Was wondering - anyone got any ideas?

Many thanks and cheers for your time and efforts.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: GA-MA790X-UD4P hangs on boot.

Did you check for and remove any jumpers from the SATA Drive? Do you have your OS SATA Drive on the first port of your SATA Ports (Usually labeled with a zero)

Being that you are running 4GB of 1066 ram, do you have your settings per this setup manually? You may need to raise your Northbridge/memory controller voltage, and likely for sure set your own ram voltage to the spec amount.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Did you check for and remove any jumpers from the SATA Drive? Do you have your OS SATA Drive on the first port of your SATA Ports (Usually labeled with a zero)

Being that you are running 4GB of 1066 ram, do you have your settings per this setup manually? You may need to raise your Northbridge/memory controller voltage, and likely for sure set your own ram voltage to the spec amount.
    If you want to know the truth, I haven't a clue what you're referring to when you say jumpers. It was just an OEM drive in some bubble wrap from newegg - is this something carried within the drive itself? And yes, I believe it's plugged into the first of the SATA ports. (The orange ones, anyway).

I don't have my ram set up manually, I wanted to try it at one point since it's actually 1100 instead of 1066, but I wasn't really sure how to go about any of that. This is the RAM: Newegg.com - G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1100 (PC2 8800) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8800CL5D-4GBPI - Desktop Memory

Edit: I just tried a restart and it worked without issue - I don't have any idea why in the world this is only a "sometimes" type of thing. I would, however, like to get my RAM running at the advertised clock speeds/voltages, I'm just not entirely sure how to go about it - or if I would need anything outside of the BIOS to accomplish this. The stickied thread on memory timing and the like I found a wee bit confusing.
    Last edited by Two Listen; 06-29-2009 at 03:31 AM.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ahh, well please look on the back of the drive. If you find a jumper remove it as it slows the drive to 1.5Gb/s (SATAI)

The jumper is a small block of plastic, if there is one on the drive you will find it beside the power/data cables in a small area that has 4 sets of 2x pins.

Be sure it is plugged into the first port, labeled SATA2_0. Looks to be the one on top of the bottom set of your yellow ports. Here is a image of which that is >>

Here is the settings you should use for a NON RAID Setup, if you are using AHCI Adjust accordingly

Integrated Peripherals

OnChip SATA Controller ............... Enabled
    OnChip SATA Type .................... Native IDE

I can help you with your ram, but I don't know much about AMD BIOS. If you can set your ram multi to get 1066 or 1100 (May need to change your CPU Freq) then I can help with the rest. You will need to set your ram voltage to 1.9V or so, and likely raise your NB Freq.

If you would post me your full settings you have now, or some images of the MIT Section of your BIOS I can better advise

Thread Information