Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 26

Thread: Computer Locks up.




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default Computer Locks up.

    Hello all, I'm new and I found this through Google... for the past days I been frustrated with my computer because it keeps locking up so I forced myself to have just 1GB stick which runs a little slow but it won't lock up unless I put my other Gig stick which makes it 2gb.

    Specs:
    GIGABYTE EP43-DS3L INTEL SOCKET 775
    Intel core 2 duo E7200
    ATI RADEON HD 4850
    160gb HD
    G.Skill 2GB of RAM

    I tried prime95 and it locks up after a certain percentage and mind you it does this when I have my 2GB installed, when I run 1GB everything is normal.. but the computer seems all icky like it feels slow, compared when I have both sticks running.

    I already have this computer for ONE year and I have not been able to experience this computer yet :( ... if you're wondering why so long because I was in college and I felt like it wasn't even worth my time taking it over there because i might get behind trying to figure this stuff out.. now that is summer I'm just getting more and more frustrated I just want to throw it in the trash.

    Also, it locks up when I'm playing games such as Counter-Strike: Source, HL2... or if I leave the computer on for a long time... or maybe having a lot of programs open.

    PLEASE ANY HELP IS APPRECIATED...

    I'm not a computer genius so any guides would be helpful and definitions to terms :( ( like I wouldn't know nothing about flashing bios, etc.)

    P.S I have been updating my BIOS.

  2. #2
    Chike is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    6,531

    Default Re: Computer Locks up.

    I take it you never overclocked your computer and you run on BIOS optimized defalts.
    You say one memory module works, have you tested them both individually?
    I would give memtest86+ a try, for each module individually, if they both pass ok, try one of them in the second slot (if your motherboard allows it.)
    Get some hardware monitoring software to see if your temps/voltages are in reasonable range.
    What OS are do you have?
    Post your DRAM specs, or direct link to their product page.
    The more details you provide will likely help people to help you resolve your problem.
    Last edited by Chike; 06-30-2009 at 01:32 AM.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Computer Locks up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    I take it you never overclocked your computer and you run on BISO optimized defalts.
    You say one memory module works, have you tested them both individually?
    I would give memtest86+ a try, for each module individually, if they both pass ok, try one of them in the second slot (if your motherboard allows it.)
    Get some hardware monitoring software to see if your temps/voltages are in reasonable range.
    What OS are do you have?
    Post your DRAM specs, or direct link to their product page.
    The more details you provide will likely help people to help you resolve your problem.
    Thanks for the reply.

    I'm going to give memtest a try again on a stick individually now, I already tried switching slots before and it's the same problem.

    What hardware monitor can I use to see my temps/voltages?

    I'm using Windows Vista home premium x64 SP1

    I'm not familiar with DRAM specs? care to elaborate?

    Thanks again for the reply...



    Last edited by dnbull; 06-29-2009 at 11:22 PM.

  4. #4
    Chike is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    6,531

    Default Re: Computer Locks up.

    EasyTune has hadware monitoring in it. I prefere speedfan over it myself, but I have no idea if it works on a 54bit OS.
    CPU-Z will show your SPD and current RAM timings, you may post images of cpu memory and SPD tabs.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Computer Locks up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    EasyTune has hadware monitoring in it. I prefere speedfan over it myself, but I have no idea if it works on a 54bit OS.
    CPU-Z will show your SPD and current RAM timings, you may post images of cpu memory and SPD tabs.

  6. #6
    Chike is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    6,531

    Default Re: Computer Locks up.

    Your tempratures are very much like mine at idle, the cores are even a little lower, I assume your ambiant temprature must be high as mine.
    And except vcore (mine for some reason is 1.08) the rest is all the same too.
    There's a 5c difference between core temps but you can't trust tjose sensors under 50c.
    Can'tfigure youre VDRAM though. Mine shows under the vcore2, but you have DDR3 and 2.08 seems high for those (have no much knowledge about DDR3.)

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Computer Locks up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Your tempratures are very much like mine at idle, the cores are even a little lower, I assume your ambiant temprature must be high as mine.
    And except vcore (mine for some reason is 1.08) the rest is all the same too.
    There's a 5c difference between core temps but you can't trust tjose sensors under 50c.
    Can'tfigure youre VDRAM though. Mine shows under the vcore2, but you have DDR3 and 2.08 seems high for those (have no much knowledge about DDR3.)

    That's funny... my RAM suppose to be DDR2, even says it on the sticker.
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-2GBPI - Desktop Memory

    I just finished running memtest86+ separately and no problems.. I remember last year when I ran both, it didn't passed 30% (it locked up)

  8. #8
    Chike is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    6,531

    Default Re: Computer Locks up.

    Quote Originally Posted by dnbull View Post
    That's funny... my RAM suppose to be DDR2, even says it on the sticker.
    Newegg.com - G.SKILL 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-2GBPI - Desktop Memory

    I just finished running memtest86+ separately and no problems.. I remember last year when I ran both, it didn't passed 30% (it locked up)
    The CPU-Z you are using is a bit old, maybe that's why it repoerts DDR3? try a newer version.
    One pass of memtest86+ don't mean they are perfectly O.K. but for now I would try one of theem in the other slot (same color.)
    I have used the same memory modules as DDR2-1066 on my board for over a week without a problem, and memtest86+ passed an overnight test without an error, in dual-channel mode.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    13

    Default Re: Computer Locks up.

    Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    The CPU-Z you are using is a bit old, maybe that's why it repoerts DDR3? try a newer version.
    One pass of memtest86+ don't mean they are perfectly O.K. but for now I would try one of theem in the other slot (same color.)
    I have used the same memory modules as DDR2-1066 on my board for over a week without a problem, and memtest86+ passed an overnight test without an error, in dual-channel mode.

    I have tried different coloring, and same.

    I updated the CPU-Z and it read it correctly this time.


  10. #10
    Chike is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Israel
    Posts
    6,531

    Default Re: Computer Locks up.

    And with two mudules populated as dual-channel? (same xolor slots)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •