Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool, quiet, fast & sexy - long road to enlightment

Default Re: Cool, quiet, fast & sexy - long road to enlightment

Oh the new Noctua is great! If only they weren't SO expensive.
    Regarding an intake fan - I don't know, this case doesn't look too promising for this kind of tweaking.
    I am even starting to think I should buy the old UD3P back :D :D lol
    No way.
    Actually this one was just the board in a bag, I have to buy the I/O shield somewhere. But not having a stupid box and bunch of useless cables around is not exactly bad thing.
    Lesson learned anyway.

What Enermax stuff are you talking about? The fan in the PSU? I don't even know it exists with its 600RPM.

Glad you like it. You've twisted my arm, as I've just ordered two. 17 each plus 4 delivery, so yep, I agree, they're expensivo.

When I refer to the Enermax's I mean just regular 120mm fans currently in my case (one as an intake). They're really quiet, have good clear LED's and in normal low impedance use (not on a HSF for example just intake/output) they kick out a nice amount of air. Almost as quiet as the Noctua's. I use it to illuminate the front panel and sockets, I can see the ports better to plug things in as the light shines through the slight gaps in the case. The fins also detach as a hole unit and are washable. The bearing works with 3 magnets on the fan part and a metal ring/magnet (not sure which) on the fin array.

As I say, they're prone to going pop though, just by using the push button controlling the LED's. Everything else is well built, just that the switches are sh1t. I just chopped it off, tinned then soldered the wires together and shrink wrapped them. Job done, for now.

So you sold your original UD3P? If you could get it back, and sell the other instead, it may be beneficial with just 1.1V MCH Core. That's awesome for 500 FSB. Someone's gonna have a great overclocking board when they buy it, it's a shame.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Questions:

1) Shall I mess with CPU PLL in the first place or not?

2) MCH ref - shall I rather go below or above 0.760? Also, I was told a few times to set it to x or y with 1.2 VTT. Am I to understand that it should be set to different value if I plan to use different VTT or just that I shall base the value on 1.2 VTT (=set it to something while VTT is 1.2 and leave it)?

3) DRAM refs. or whatever the stuff is called - bottom of M.I.T. Again I remember being suggested to set that to 0.9 while the voltage is at 1.8, and THEN go up to the desired value. How important is this, does it have any impact on anything? I had no problems with 2.000V and these sitting at 0.9 ("should" be 1.0).

Thanks for input.

Btw. 500FSB and 1.26 MCH core seems stable so far (only eight hours though).

I'm unstable with PLL at 1.5 for some reason. It's a 4-5 hour prime fail on a blend (failing on a larger FFT). On 1.57 it's fine. Like any setting, there's no real way to tell. Logically an increase in clock generator voltage should benefit a really high FSB.

In my experience, going higher with MCH ref doesn't work. It's stock or lower, so it seems from others experiences too. The only time higher refs work for me is on quads. A higher CPU ref let me reduce VTT from 1.36 to1.28 @ 3.2GHz, and then allowed me to increase to 3.4GHz stable.

RAM refs would be a very last resort as far as tuning goes. I believe it's better to treat the refs the same as CPU and MCH % of VTT. Here, VDIMM is the VTT and the MCH/DRAM and Channel A&B refs are MCH and CPU refs. As you say, with RAM voltage at 1.8, set refs to 0.9 (just leave auto if not tweaking them yet). To adjust, move the ref volts before entering your desired VDIMM. It may not have an effect on your current objectives, but the effects may kick in with lower MCH Core Voltage, higher FSB etc.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

I hear you. So are you saying that increasing PLL most probably can never bring any kind of instability? I gotta ask because this often DOES happen with MCH ref :)

I think I have almost stable 1.26 MCH Core with 1.3 CPU term, but I can't remember exact value plus Prime failed after some 18 hours :P

What I am gonna do is test a whole combination of

Performance enhance - Turbo vs Standard
    then
    in each of the branches various MCH Core temps from 1.2 to 1.26
    under that all the combinations of MCH ref of 0.720, 0.740, 0.760 vs CPU termination 1.2-1.34.

That's ****load of tests to do!!! Ouch.
    But if this doesn't get me to stable 500, I will swallow 50 toads and start playing with teddy bears.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Hey I can always lick an extra one :P :D

Btw. Has anyone ever found out any difference in pefrormance when using Turbo vs Standard Performance enhance settings? I tried both and run a few benchmarks, and nothing. Hum....
    Another question: memory straps I can use are dependant only on the memory I have?

btw
    ordered an extra Noctua and

Hell if I won't eventually get to 500+

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Octopuss View Post
    Hey I can always lick an extra one :P :D

Btw. Has anyone ever found out any difference in pefrormance when using Turbo vs Standard Performance enhance settings? I tried both and run a few benchmarks, and nothing. Hum....
    Another question: memory straps I can use are dependant only on the memory I have?
    The difference can be larger then you are seeing, depends on voltages used and memory timings, strap, FSB, and overall speeds.

As for straps you can use, you can use almost any really, you just have to have the right ram, find the right MCH, Vtt, and ram voltages and timings that work for your setup.

Well, ugh.
    Last time I couldn't boot AT ALL (in fact the PC wouldn;t even POST) with D strap. No matter what settings.

Page 10 of 19 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information