Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool, quiet, fast & sexy - long road to enlightment

Default Re: Cool, quiet, fast & sexy - long road to enlightment

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    Performance Enhance to Standard while overclocking is always suggested.

CPU termination may need to be played with, along with another MCH ref change. Increasing these voltages does not result in extra heat or noise, and is necessary at such high FSB speeds. If instability was encountered at different CPU Term values before, it may no longer be the case as settings have changed.

Only use 1.100V for MCH Core if you've verified 12 hours of Prime Large FFT or a 24 hour Blend test. Otherwise you may find that it's only part stable ie it appears fine for shorter testing times.

With a 1.2V CPU term, set MCH ref to 0.720V. Now increase CPU Term in increments up to about 1.28V, testing each time. As you have 0.740V set now, try increasing CPU Term first.

To see how much OC headroom is available at your current Vcore, sey your stable template up and decrease Vcore step by step until you become unstable. If you're unstable after decreasing Vcore by one step for example, then it's unlikely you'll get much higher on your current voltage settings.

When you get your new noctua fan, I'd recommend either using it on your CPU cooler connected to the 5V Sys_Fan_2 header (no need for an ULNA then) or even a zalman fan mate with a LNA in line with it. This will make the potentiometer able to reduce fan speed even further. As always, some direct air flow compared to none is 100% more, and may give you the ability to use up to 1.3Vcore for the same temps, while adding zero noise. At less than 5V, I'm positive a Noctua fan of any type would make so little noise you wouldn't notice in a closed case. Motor noise at least, wouldn't be audible, just the noise from the (small amount of) air moved.
    I read an article some months ago that said that Performance enhance only does set specific numbers for one setting in the advanced timings section of BIOS, so it doesn't do anything when it's not on auto.
    Anyway:

I ran
    50 loops of IntelBurnTest with 3GB+ RAM used
    ~24 hours stable both blend and small FFTs
    24+ hours stable custom test (2048-4096 FFT size with 3GB RAM used)

so I assume this is perfectly stable setup :)

As for the cooling - I redid it shortly after my original thread was abandoned, so now I've got roughly 700RPM blowing on the CPU (I tried to play around with the potentiometer to get as high RPM as possible while still not being able to hear the FAN), and the new Noctua right next to it at approx. same speed sucking the hot air out of the case (the airflow is higher due to different technology used though).
    I am at about 65C on the CPU in full load (small FFTs for example).

I will experiment with ref voltages a bit then.

Oh and 503FSB seems still stable. At least the custom test ran for 30 hours, and five loops of IBT passed as well.

Originally I wanted to try 8*500 instead of toying around for +5 lousy MHz in FSB, but Prime95 gave me an error after some 30 mins, so I believe the "roof" for my CPU is around 3.8GHZ (not like that's bad at default VCORE!).
    Last edited by Octopuss; 07-21-2009 at 01:39 AM.

Oh I managed to dig that post up:

"Performance Level" in MemSet is the tRD value.

This is what the Gigabyte manual says :

Performance Enhance
    Allows the system to operate at three different performance levels.
    - Standard Lets the system operate at its basic performance level.
    - Turbo Lets the system operate at its good performance level. (Default)
    - Extreme Lets the system operate at its best performance level.

and another one:

According to X-bit Labs review of the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L the Performance Enhance option in the bios should actually be set to standard for best memory performance. I find this very strange but here is what they said...

"There is a parameter called Performance Enhance in the MB Intelligent Tweaker section. By default it is set to Turbo that turned out to be very important for the overall system performance, because it can help affect Performance Level setting. The lower is Performance Level, the higher is the actual mainboard performance, but we couldn’t determine the actual value for it. If Performance Enhance is set to Turbo or Extreme, Performance Level equals 8 at 490MHz FSB – it is a good setting. If you set Performance Enhance to Standard, Performance Level increases to 12. The screenshots below allow you to estimate the actual performance difference in these two cases provided all other settings are identical. The first one stands for Performance Enhance set to Standard and Performance Level of 12, while the second one – for Performance Enhance set to Turbo and Performance Level of 8 respectively."

They have a chart with benchmarks in the full article.

Seems like I hit the wall after all. Can't get anything stable past 503 :) Playing around wirhref voltages did help a little, but Prime95 is flat out freezing on me. It's weird, instead of error I get standard "program stopped working, FU" window.
    So at least I am trying some "reverted" tweaking - currently trying to find out how low can I go with VCORE. Heh. At least I could possibly go cooler.

Quote Originally Posted by creamsoda View Post
    But this really confuses me. It completely goes against everything I thought I ever knew about high FSB & MCH core voltage. lol..
    This thread has inspired me to re-visit the B-strap.
    So, last night I got to work on a 9.0x450@2.40B config, with tRD=8 and 5-5-5-15 timings; and I am closing in on stability, I think.

What's interesting is that when I was running on the 2.00D strap (DDR-900) with the same FSB=450; I needed vMCH=1.26-1.28 for stability. But now on the 2.40B (DDR-1080), It's looking like vMCH=1.18-1.20 is the stable range. Although, vDRAM required for stability jumped from 2.16-2.18 to 2.26-2.28. That vDRAm may seem high, but it's still within spec for my kit. (2.30v max.)

Also, I think that I have stumbled upon a nice approach to OC'ing: Set your tRD, Standard and Advanced timings at the tightest that you can boot to Windows.
    Then verify that your Vcc and Vtt are stable with p95 small FFT's. Once you're sure about Vcc and Vtt, then, quite methodically test vMCH, MCH Rref, and vDRAM; making note of the combo(s) that lasts the longest in p95 blended. Then, once you've zeroed-in on the best setttings, start backing-off your DRAM timings until you're stable. What I've fouund, which is quite maddening, is that as you adjust settings and test, one tic at a time, you may find relatively good stability (1 Hr. or more) in p95 where just one tic above or below there was none (less than 1 min.) You really need to climb up and down tha ladder of settings, without skipping any rungs. Takes a while, but seems to be working for me.
    case: Gigabyte 'Triton 180'
    power: Corsair 'HX-620'
    motherboard: Gigabyte 'GA-EP45-UD3P' (rev.1.1, F9)
    cpu: Intel 'e8500' (E0)
    cooling: Xigmatek 'HDT-S1283'
    memory: OCZ 'Reaper' 4x2gb (OCZ2RPR10664GK)
    storage: Western Digital 'Black' (500gb)
    video: EVGA 'GeForce' GTX-260
    display: Samsung 'SyncMaster' 2333sw

I refuse to give up, although common sense tells me that default voltages with 500 FSB has to be the limit :) 503+ is just dead end for Prime. Funnily enough, IBT is still stable. Bah.

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Octopuss View Post
    I refuse to give up, although common sense tells me that default voltages with 500 FSB has to be the limit :) 503+ is just dead end for Prime. Funnily enough, IBT is still stable. Bah.
    While experimenting with memory timings I observed that loser timing require lower perfomence level (higher numbers.)
    e.g. my timings are 4-4-4-12 DDR-800 400FSB tRD=7 but when losening them to 5-5-5-18 they won't post below tRD=9.
    Your timings are a bit losened for DDR-900. Maybe going one performence level down (higher numebr,) can increase stability and let you go up with FSB.

Only that my memory is 1066, not 800, so I am in fact underclocking :)
    I can try though.... When I'm done testing one step lower VCORE.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    While experimenting with memory timings I observed that loser timing require lower perfomence level (higher numbers.)
    YES! I've found this to be true as well.

The key is the tCS (1st of the 4...) of the Standard Timings settings, though. So, often times I'll "cheat"; and use 4-5-5-15 timings in lieu of 5-5-5-15, just to try and get stable on a lower tRD - and it often works.
    case: Gigabyte 'Triton 180'
    power: Corsair 'HX-620'
    motherboard: Gigabyte 'GA-EP45-UD3P' (rev.1.1, F9)
    cpu: Intel 'e8500' (E0)
    cooling: Xigmatek 'HDT-S1283'
    memory: OCZ 'Reaper' 4x2gb (OCZ2RPR10664GK)
    storage: Western Digital 'Black' (500gb)
    video: EVGA 'GeForce' GTX-260
    display: Samsung 'SyncMaster' 2333sw

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Octopuss View Post
    Only that my memory is 1066, not 800, so I am in fact underclocking :)
    I can try though.... When I'm done testing one step lower VCORE.
    Note that I was reffering to your current DDR-900 settings not 1066.
    Underclocking the RAM in fact increase times. 5-5-5-15 DDR-1066 timings equivalent to 4-4-4-12 DDR-800.
    Running a DDR-1066 memory as DDR-900 with 1066 timings can be thought as under-timing it.
    Timings are meaningless without memory clock context.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    Note that I was reffering to your current DDR-900 settings not 1066.
    Underclocking the RAM in fact increase times. 5-5-5-15 DDR-1066 timings equivalent to 4-4-4-12 DDR-800.
    Running a DDR-1066 memory as DDR-900 with 1066 timings can be thought as under-timing it.
    Timings are meaningless without memory clock context.
    I don't understand. If anything, it would be DDR-1006 :) DDR-900 would be for FSB 450. Right?
    Anyway, if 15-5-5-5 is 1066 timings, then if I run the memory at around 1000 with same timings, logically there should be plenty of reserve.

Testing testing testing...
    Set both CPU and MCH ref voltages at 0.760@1.2 CPU term and going a bit up. Not much difference. Few more mins of stability in Prime95, then it freezes as usual. I wanna get stable 505 at least, damnit! Dumb computers!

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread Information