Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool, quiet, fast & sexy - long road to enlightment

Default Re: Cool, quiet, fast & sexy - long road to enlightment

I have no idea why your NB should be so hot. Unless anyone else has any suggestions, I may go as far as to recommend an RMA. It could be a hardware issue, eg even though it says 1.100V you may in error be getting 1.6V or something. Have you contacted Gigabyte support? I know they take a while to answer and their English isn't always great, but they might know why it's happening

On 1.26V, mine is nice and cool, so it has to be a hardware issue. Your case ventilation is more than enough, I can see that from your pics. Does temporarily running all fans at max from a cold boot maintain a cooler NB temp? If not then it has to be a hardware thing.

As you reach the ragged edge of whey your components can do, it does get frustrating, I agree. this is why I haven't really tried very hard to get 4GHz. I got so tired of re-booting, crashing, corrupting the OS etc etc that I settled on 3.9GHz and tightened everything down. If I get tired of aiming higher, I usually try "super tuning" my current config. For me this involves finding complete minimum voltages for all but refs, tightest timings, experimenting with AHCI on/off etc. After that, I get my enthusiasm back for tryinh a higher clock. Maybe this will help you stay fresh. Often after a break of a week I've been inspired with new things to try that worked well. An example of this is with my Q8200. I was running 3.2GHz for 3 weeks, unable to get higher. I was inspired to tweak CPU ref, and got 3.4GHz out of it. Sweet.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Guess I can send them an email, but I have my past experiences and um... Might as well buy a plane ticket to Taiwan :D

I even went as far as putting extra fan in the case blowing directly at the NB heatsink. Guess what - it is still WARM!!!
    But on the other hand, I had it rather cool a few other times. It's a mystery.
    At 500 or those bloody 503FSB everything is rock-stable though. So I don't know...

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Octopuss View Post
    I even went as far as putting extra fan in the case blowing directly at the NB heatsink. Guess what - it is still WARM!!!
    My NB is very hot too at 31c ambiant. I can touch it but it is *very* hot.
    I rather believe it indicates the heat sink is mounted propely :-)

There must be more to it than that. My ambient temp isn't quite as high, but the NB is only warm. This is after an overnight Prime95 test. My heatsink is securely screwed down with a perfect layer of MX-2 TIM. The heatsink itself was pretty smooth (some machining marks) and the whole thing makes good contact (tested with a blob of TIM first before removing and thinly spreading as I always do on bare silicon).
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    I rather believe it indicates the heat sink is mounted propely :-)
    Exactly my thoughts :)
    But damn I could fry an egg on it when the PC is under heavy load. If only the damn CPU cooler could be turned 90.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    There must be more to it than that. My ambient temp isn't quite as high, but the NB is only warm.
    It must be according to Newton's law of cooling. This means that to have your heat transfer rate my heat sink must be 7c hotter than yours.
    The TIM only makes sure heat transfers faster between the NP and the heat-sink. If the heat sink cools slower it will get warmer until the need heat transfer rate is achived.

My point is, my NB sink is just as wel mounted as yours is and gets barely warm, where as you say yours is hot. I understand exactly what the TIM does, and also understand that a warm heatsink is better than a cold one if cooling the same component (within reason) as if cold, it may not be doing its job. At the temperature my heatsink gets to at its peak, I'm positive (can't test this though) that adding another 7c to the temp still won't make it feel hot.

As there isn't a NB temp sensor it's difficult to say if one persons NB is running warmer than the other. Also what's classed as hot by one person may be classed as warm by another. However if Octopuss is almost burning his hand on it, it must be hot.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

I'm positive (can't test this though) that adding another 7c to the temp still won't make it feel hot.
    I don't know what feel hot and what feels warm, I have never experimented. Could be that 37 feels warm and 45 feels hot.
    It was once "psitively" known that heavier objects falls faster, it's just a common sence, it took Galileo a simple test to prove it wrong.
    Unless you have experimented, or know you can't be positive. You may be just as surprosed as the people of Pisa.

I can be reasonably positive. I have experienced temperature differentials in other forms. there is no way that another 7 degrees temp increase on my NB would burn my hand. It's common sense IMO. From barely warm to enough to burn skin with a 7c increase? not possible IMO, experement or not. I'm not being funy with you, so please don't take it that way, but I am positive that another 7c would make the heatsink "very warm" at best. Not all things need to be scientifically experemented, common sense can prevail. I don't know the temperature at which human skin starts to burn (not actually set on fire, but blister due to heat ofc) but it's pretty high.

My advice remains. If it's really getting hot enough to almost burn, then seek advice from Gigabyte. If they recommend an RMA, then I'd go with the decision. If they say it's normal, then I'd probably still not be satisfied, if I'm honest. It's questionable as to if a member of support stff has ever touched a heatsink, or would know what one is unless they had been trained.

If you wanted to find a pretty accurate temperature, you could always do what Kick has done. I believe he has installed a temperature sensor under the NB heatsink plugged into an external LCD display.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

If you wanted to find a pretty accurate temperature, you could always do what Kick has done. I believe he has installed a temperature sensor under the NB heatsink plugged into an external LCD display.
    Sure I'll be glad to. I dare not mess with the NB HS untill I realy have to, and placing it under the HS may actually hurt cooling efficiency, but this may be just as useful on the top of the HS.
    One like this?

Page 4 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information