Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Cool, quiet, fast & sexy - long road to enlightment

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Cool, quiet, fast & sexy - long road to enlightment

Quote Originally Posted by Octopuss View Post
    lol :D
    you got a point there, but lower temperature MIGHT add to stability, plus it heats the surroundings up as well.. for example the stupid soundcard is hot as hell itself!
    Of course, but you said it's only warm now after you added a fan.
    If you have a good air flow around the NB the sound card may just be hot by itself not because of the NB.
    I wouldn't be too worried about it.

kick is offline Senior Member

I dont know if this is any help or not but I added a nthbridge temp sensor a few months back.
    I used the intel guide (for manufacturers presumeably) to mounting a temp sensor in the nb heatsink.
    Its direct digital readout so it doesnt record max and min temps.

In general with a fan blowing on it and the memory, temperature stays 1-2 degrees below system temp readout even under load tho I have seen it go 4-5 higher than sys temp with no nb fan in use.
    Ive never tried mch 1.1 lowest ive used recently is the 1.2 that pops up with optimum defaults..then again a quad core may need more v.

There was also another post /series of posts in the forum awhile back about some guy who eventually got his 8g of ram to work with 1.18 v mch and that all the "expert" advice he got about using 1.26+ was bs .
    Heh no one is trying to make anyone blow up their components.and settings for one may not work so well for another.

I recently tried some system settings that another poster is using for 500fsb(quad core).
    They have things like a much lower vTT and mch V than I would normally use for 500 fsb..which is fine .
    The thing is I noticed v high temps for cpu readout and core temps seemed a bit high too.
    When I tried his settings or as close as I could get I got a "indicated" cpu temp peak of 85C and my cpu fan reading went higher than ive ever seen.
    I dont know what mch temp went to as I wasnt there at the time.

Apparently this is some kind of temp spike that occurs in prime on the settings every hr or so.
    I went back to my old settings and I dont get this temp spike.
    Im not saying his settings are bad n mine are good,maybe I just need to adjust some other things,but I dont get temp spikes in Prime on the settings I normally run.
    Last edited by kick; 07-28-2009 at 10:40 PM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    I used the intel guide (for manufacturers presumeably) to mounting a temp sensor in the nb heatsink.
    Could you post the link to it please?

Quote Originally Posted by kick
    Apparently this is some kind of temp spike that occurs in prime on the settings every hr or so.
    I went back to my old settings and I dont get this temp spike.
    I've noticed that in blend test the second test 2 of 1024K FFT length cause 3-4c higher temps than test 1. It can be seen quickly as it's only a few minutes from the start.
    You don't get this with your current settings?

I probably linked it back in one of my posts..Ill go check I guess

Here we go : i used this as a guide my setup isnt exactly as advised ,down to .02 mm !,I just wanted a reason able temp readout
    http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/designguide/319975.pdf

What i originally did was drill a little angled hole thru the heatsink,(I took it off first,haha).
    The heatsink on the ud3 nb is different to the ud3l probabply to the ud3p also .. no little blue hats ,its plain aluminium type.
    I then changed the sensor position to a little drilled depression in the thickest part of the heatsink.The temp readouts seemed approx the same so thats where I have it now.

The cpu temp spike i got was like 20 degrees .. but as i said I wasnt there at the time so I dont know how accurate it was,ahh it seems as you said it appears on the "v hot tests" but i dont get that much of a jump with my normal settings.I mean i get variations normally sure 2-5 degees but not 20.
    Last edited by kick; 07-29-2009 at 02:20 AM.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

Thanks I've found similar on Intel's site, I was hoping there is an easier way :-)
    http://www.intel.com/Assets/PDF/designguide/319972.pdf

I surely have no intention milling no hole or slot in the HS, there is no way I'll manage it not to be in contact with the HS anyway so I'll just glue it close as possible to the center to get "reasonable temp readout" as you say.

@ Creamsoda: I don't use any installed anti virus product. I'm maticulous about what I download and execute, and where possible use a MD5 sum checker to verify the download is unaltered (if from a trusted source). I use a free online (Sophus) scanner once per week, and in the year and a half of doing this, have not had a single infection.

I also use Google Chrome (rather than IE), as a lot of "drive by" downloads prompt for updates and state it's the "Internet |Explorer" version of a particular product. I know that Chrome uses a different version of the plug in to IE. This is what made me suspicious (as well as the originating domain name) to the flash update.

As always I recommend most people use a resident AV product. I don't because I'm adept at spotting suspect things and am very careful. If you do decide to go AV free, regular use of anti spyware tools is recommended. Use Spybot S&D and Spyware Blaster to immunize your system and protect the host file (if using IE) as a minimum.

Sorry for the off topic.

For PCIE lanes, you will notice that the orange slot, although full size has missing pins compared to the blue. If I remember, the last 2 inches of the slot has no pins at all (the holes to house them are present). You can use a GFX card in the 8X slot and leave the blue slot empty if you wish (if using alot of PCIe 1x and PCI cards for example).

If you have a card inserted into the blue slot only, it will run at 16x. As soon as you add another GFX card to the orange slot, the blue will drop to 8x to match. This drop to 8x has zero effect on the performance of a single GPU card.

If you intend to run Quad Crossfire, then 8x is simply not enough for a dual GPU single slot card. In this case it would be wise to use an X38 or X48 chipset with twin 16x slots. This is the only case where 8x isn't enough. Remember that the UD3P has PCIe 2.0, meaning bandwidth at each lane number (1x, 4x, 8x, 16x) has doubled over PCIe 1.0.

With regards to the Thermalright coolers fitting, they are designed in such a way that it shouldn't be a problem. The actual fin array is offset from the base, if you get what I mean. This means if the CPU HSF hovers over the NB, you can still fit it. I can also confirm that the Thermalright will fit (only JUST) with a Scythe Mugen 2 installed on the UD3P. There is litterally less than 1mm between the NB fins and the CPU GSF, and removal of the cooler was needed to be able to screw the Thermalright down.

IMO the heatsinks on that board are more for show than effect. Like having a spoiler on a regular family car. The same ammount of heat will be produced if that board is also a P45. Dissipation may be improved, but you may also find that as everything is connected via pipes, the NB could heat up the MOSFETS and the Southbridge.

Even with 486 FSB and 1.34V my NB was cool, so a simple RMA may be all that's needed. Tell them the NB gets really hot, and you've experienced crashes because of it. You should get a replacement, no problem. I certainly wouldn't ditch the UD3P, even with a warm NB. You may find you won't get 500 FSB with another board. The UD3's really are special.

With regards to the three PCIe slots (didn't notice that earlier) you may fiond that the third is only capable of 4x. This isn't enough for a GPU imo, so stick to the first or second slot if you do replace your mobo.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

I used a tiny dab of araldite(epoxy resin) at first but if siting it on the outside ,maybe use a cable tie to hold it and if the position isnt right you can move it around.

Yeh on the chipsets..Ive read reviews of p35 doin over 500,some asus board that was oc king before i really got back into it.Then Ive also seen complaints about x38 or was it x 48 mch getting really hot ..also nvidia chipsets get temp complaints.
    The ep45 ds3 or UD2 if you like, boards dont seem to do as well either..it must be our 2 oz of copper !.I havent read back thru the whole thread ,but have you tried a higher nb voltage and still found it finger burning?
    Honestly ..I dont really care how much voltage I have to apply to components to get the most out of them as long as they work for a year or 2,obviously if some lower voltage setting will work for the same or better speed/timings thats good too.
    Last edited by kick; 07-29-2009 at 03:24 AM.
    Current Systems:

KayossZero is offline Junior Member

Lightbulb Re: Cool, quiet, fast & sexy - long road to enlightment

Quote Originally Posted by creamsoda View Post
    I also fell for the flash security update... thanks for the warning Psycho. Now I gotta run my anti-virus. damnit!!

EDIT: btw, what anti-virus software do u use psycho?
    VirusTotal - Free Online Virus and Malware Scan is awesome stuff I use their "right click send file" app all the time on files I don't trust.

Hey Psycho, thanks for the information, that's what I needed to know! :)

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    IMO the heatsinks on that board are more for show than effect. Like having a spoiler on a regular family car. The same ammount of heat will be produced if that board is also a P45. Dissipation may be improved, but you may also find that as everything is connected via pipes, the NB could heat up the MOSFETS and the Southbridge.
    The cooling on UD3P is much simplier than the one found on say DS4 though!

Even with 486 FSB and 1.34V my NB was cool
    This gives me sleepless nights :D This and only this :D

a simple RMA may be all that's needed. Tell them the NB gets really hot, and you've experienced crashes because of it. You should get a replacement, no problem.
    I mailed them about it and all I got was info that this board is no longer being sold and the manufacture is stopped. Basically I was told they can send it to get evaluated, but it'd take time at least, plus they would probably return it as wrongful RMA. And what would I do without a PC?

I certainly wouldn't ditch the UD3P, even with a warm NB. You may find you won't get 500 FSB with another board. The UD3's really are special.
    Well, I could get 485 with EP35-DS4 rather well, so I wouldn't be afraid of not being able to get to 500 with "any" P45....

Look: Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P P45 Motherboard Review - Page 15

Check the temperatures they had. With 500FSB.
    Something definitely smells around my board!!!! I am getting EP45-DS4 tomorrow anyway.

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread Information