Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Only excepting 2 Gig of 667 RAM

Default Re: Only excepting 2 Gig of 667 RAM

Hi Chike,here is an idea which I think may be the reason for my problem. Reading in my motherboard manual " Due to Winows Vista/XP 32 bit operating system limitation, when more than 4 Gb of memory is installed, the actual size displayed will be less than 4 GB. This is unless I was using a 64 bit windows system.
    What do you think.
    Cheers.

Lucky

Sorry Mate, I repeated what you said above , regarding the 4GB and the 32bit system. My appolegies.
    Lucky

Chike is offline Senior Member

Well you identified one of the 2GB modules as faulty, so you certainly can't use it.
    When you have it replaced you might be able use both paies, but there's a lot of posts of problem usjng 2 pairs of the same type, i doubt using 2 different type of modules would work.

The PC2-6400 memory is also a bit faster from the PC2-5300, and mixing them together would force the PC2-6400 to run at lower speed, yhe same as PC2-5300.

Thank you for that, Chike. I am hoping I might get them to work with a win xp pro x64 bit. Failing that, it will have to be the Vista 64 bit version.
    cheers.

Lucky

Chike is offline Senior Member

Perheps I didn't understand you you meant when you said "it would not boot at all."
    Did you mean you don't even get BIOS POST screen or did you mean windows would not start.

If you meant the first, how can you install windows?

Yes, I meant that when I tried the bad 2 x 2 Gb stike it would not allow me into the bios. This was also the case if I tried to use both of the 2 x 2Gbs in slot 1 and 3. But I will try and hold onto the one stick of pc2 - 6400 and ask them to change the other one for a stick that has no problem with it.

I have now just put one of the 1 x 1Gb stickes in to keep me going.

Lucky

Hi,
    I have formatted me system and installed a copy of windows 7. So I guess that is a 64bit system. The problems still remains. I cannot boot at all with the pair of 1GB sticks in. I can however boot up with one of them. It also seems to be a bit slow. I mean really it should be flying by now. I have also been able to stick the other 2GB stick in slot 4. I wonder if I might be better just putting the one 2GB stick on its own and getting the 6400 speed?.
    Lucky

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information