Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Only excepting 2 Gig of 667 RAM

Default Only excepting 2 Gig of 667 RAM

Hi Guys,
    I built this little pc last week and although the Gigabyte motherboard, states it takes, 8 gig of ram, it is only allowing me to use just one strip of 2 gig. I tried to use another 2 in a similer colour slot, which was slot 3. But no good. I also tried to add 2 seperate strips of one gig in slots 2 and 4, but that did not work either. When I tried to boot up, it would not boot at all.
    I would appreciate any help or advice I can get, thank you so much.

Lucky

My specs are ;
    Socket 775 motherboard - EP41-UD3L - VERSION - F4
    Processor- Intel Pent R - 4632 Presler D - 3 GHZ.
    WinVista
    Graphics - ATI HD 4670
    RAM = DDR 11 SDRAM 667 - part number PC2 - 6400 {400 MHZ }
    Sata HD

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Only excepting 2 Gig of 667 RAM

Could you post pictures of CPU-Z's CPU, Memory and SPD tabs? You can find it in the Latest Overclocking Programs... Sticky on the top of the forum.
    If not at least the exact part number.
    Are all the memory modules the same? Did they came as dual channel pair or individually?
    Have you tried to load BIOS optimized defaults?

BTW PC-6400 is DDR-800 not DDR-667.

Hi Chike, thank you for getting back to me. It is interesting you mentioned that PC-6400. I was not sure when I saw that. I used a Gagbyte program to show me my specs and that was what came up in the memory. I think I need to take it out and check it against the other 2 Gig strip I bought at the same time [ 2GB PC2-5300 667MHZ ]. That is what it says on the strip I have on my Desk, So I shall see if they made a mistake and sent me the wrong one, or stuck the wrong lable on it. Two lots of 2 GB 5300 667 were bought, and a seperate 2 lots of 1 GB 5300 x 667 were bought. I will also try loading the bios optimized defaults.
    All the best.

Lucky

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You should use slots 1+3 for dual channel. Please post the model # of each kit, it could be they sent you the wrong ram but either should work really provided it is compatible.

Maybe mixing them if they are different would cause issues, but using each kit alone should not unless they are incompatible

Quote Originally Posted by Luckyjfl View Post
    Two lots of 2 GB 5300 667 were bought, and a seperate 2 lots of 1 GB 5300 x 667 were bought.
    Lucky
    So you have 2 memory modules of 2GB and 2 modules of 1GB for a total of 6GB? Is that correct?

I take it the GIGABYTE program you used is EasyTune6. At the memory tab there is a part number, post it here.
    If you can boot with each different pair post both part numbers, if they are different.
    In the memory tab you can select to see the info for each slot # from the popup on the left, see if both match.
    And also see if the part number match the label on the modules.

I can see in you MB manual that with 4 memory modules you must use only single-sided modules. Did you have problem installing them? Do they touch each other?

Right, I managed to install the 1 GB stick in the 1st slot and one of the 2GB sticks in the 4th slot. This booted up ok. It will Not boot up on the other 2GB stick at all. Nor will it except my 2nd 1 GB stick in the 3rd [ pref ] or for that matter the 2nd slot. I will try and get the info asap on the part numbers you requested. Yes, it was easy tune 6. The part number on the boot stick is just [ yyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy ]. Serial number [ ffffffff ] A number on the actual stick is: 22461 - QFC116260. But it also says Max bandwith , PC2-5300 { 333MHZ ]. I had no problem installing them, ad they do not touch one another.
    Thank you again for your perseverance.
    Lucky

In order to find if the problem is with one or more memory modules, or with any of the motherboard slots, or the combination of your memory modules and the motherboard, or the different types of memory modules, you need to be more methodical.

Mark each modules, or at least put each one in a designated place, so you can be sure which one you have tested.
    To begin with, try each module alone in slot #1 and see if it boots (post), at least so you can enter BIOS. Possibly boot into vista and take it's part number with EasyTune. If a module fail too boot try it in slot #2.

Try one of each pair that passed first test, in the rest of the 3 other slots, to make sure the slots are OK. If one of any pair faile, try the other module of the same pair (if passed 1st test.)

If all slots work, try each pair (same capacity) in dual-channel mode (same slot color.) If one color doesn't work, try the other.

Of course there's no point to test a module that failed 1st test, or test a slot that failed 2nd test as dual-channel.

Cheers Chike,
    I will try that asap.

Lucky

Hi Chike,
    I tested each of the 2x2GB stickes in all the slots. Only one of them booted up. The numbers you asked for were : Vo1D2LF2GB18818880 - Serial : 00000003 - PC2-6400.
    I booted up from only one stik of 1 x 1Gb. The numbers were : yy0yyyyy0yyyyy - Serial FFFFFF30.
    As you can see, the 2GB stick is showing PC2-6400 and Not PC2- 5300, as is stated on the memory label. Now at the moment I have booted up with the 1 x 1Gb stick and have the working 2 x 2Gb stick also working in slot 4. Although they are working together, I wonder if it is a good idea to have them together at all. I was going to return them for analysis to the makers asap. What do you think.

Lucky

Hi,

Just to make sure I understand.
    You have 2 memory modules of PC-5300 each of 1GB, tota of 2GB. and both are working, either alone or as duak-channel.
    And you have 2 mudules of PC-6400 each of 2GB, total of 4GB, which one of them does not work.
    Is that correct?

As for using them togethr. If you are using Vista 32bit you cannot utilize more than 4GB, in fact only 3 will be available in Vista if you install 4GB, so if you have a pair of 2GB modules there's no point mixing them with the pair of 1GB. Vista 64bit can use more then 4GB of memory.

If one of the modules does not work, of course you should have it replaced.

Those part numbers you have are probably some generic memory modules no wau to find their spec on the internet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information