Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EP45 UD3P I think I've fried it, but CPU & Ram?

Default EP45 UD3P I think I've fried it, but CPU & Ram?

Hi,
    New build(er); so nearly all done, but now I think I've burned the mobo.

I'm so stupid I want to cry.

What happened; I was connecting fan to Sys Fan 1 connection, but the wire wasn't quite long enough, so I spliced it with another length, temporarily, till I could get a proper extension with F/M connectors.

I just twisted stripped wire-ends together and put insulating tape around each of them. I carried on tidying other cables, and thought I'd turn on just as final check.

The spliced fan cable had got pulled slightly apart, exposing bare wire on Live & Ground, and I hadn't noticed noticed. Turned on, ....FIZZZ....!
    Turned off pretty quickly; at that stage, case fans were still on, (LEDs on Mobo all still lit, but slow steady blinking) no video.

Checked things out, after about 30 mins noticed bare wires, both of which had shorted on the aluminium fins of CPU cooler, and burned out copper track by SYS Fan 1 pins.

SO...
    Is whole Mobo a dustbin job, or just that track (yes, I know, dream on...)(-or is it worth me trying to 'bridge' it?)

But more importantly, because CPU cooler was directly involved, is it likely the Q9550 is fried as well, ...and the four sticks memory, ...and (parts of) the PSU?

Can't test any of the parts individually, as I've no comparable/compatible other machine.

I've ordered another mobo, arriving tomorrow, but if other components are damaged, will they damage the new board when installed in it?

Can anybody advise at all?
    Apart from learn a hard lesson never to bodge stuff, even as a temporary fix...

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EP45 UD3P I think I've fried it, but CPU & Ram?

OUCH Sorry to hear this!!!

Well, without a whole separate setup there will be no way to tell what is ok and what is not. It may all be fried, or it may all be OK ya never know.

I can advise you of this though, PLEASE do not test your PSU on any setup now until you are sure it is ok. Buy a Power Supply Tester, they are about $20, and test your PSU before you try it on any other board as if it is faulty now it may fry everything else you test it on. If you need some links to some of these let me know.

After you test out your PSU and if it is ok, then you would just need another board to test out the rest of the items one by one.

I see you have a new board due in tomorrow, PLEASE do not use this power supply on your new board until you can test it.

If you are in a hurry, and can't wait for a tester then please maybe try this PSU on a way old machine or something. I personally would not use it on anything until tested though. So if you have an older setup with a known good PSU use that one (PSU or Setup) then until you can get a tester.

Good luck, and sorry again to hear about this. Let us know how everything tests out in the end

It's funny to see a thread like this today. I just recently almost fried my motherboard, because the tape on one of my spliced wires fell off. Good thing I discovered it before turning on my computer! o_o

I spliced some of my fans so that I can remove the molex connectors and connect the fans to my front bay fan controller. Luckily, I haven't fried anything yet.

But seeing this thread scares me, next time, I will have to recheck all of my spliced wires and make sure the tape is on correctly.

Good luck on your new motherboard!

Core2Duo E8500 E0 @4.25GHz (500x8.5)
    | Windows 7 RC Build 7100 | Visiontek HD4850 OC 685/1100
    Gigabyte
    GA-EP45T-DS3R | 4Gb (2x2Gb) 1333MHz Patriot DDR3 | 1.14TB (640+500gb) WDC Green
    Antec Earthwatts 500w |
    Antec Nine Hundred
    Screenshots:
    [1][2][3][4][5][6]

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You guys both should start using heatshrink, it is cheap and easy to use.

Let me know if you need some links to what I mean

Bummer. Yeah I agree with LSD, I would just bin the PSU anyway as it does not have short circuit protection which is probably something "Spicers" should look into. lol. Sorry. Well thinking about it I would nearly bet your CPU will be fine. Probably your ram too. You mobo though doesnt sound good. Once you have burnt something like that I wouldnt use it again. Your just asking for trouble. So. Bin the Mobo and PSU and get new ones and your good to go. Just think like, I can hold a piece of metal when I weld it. so Your CPU should be ok. You guys scare me. Back when AMD Athlon 800's were the go I had an old crap box PC and I was removing a "unconnected" HDD from the cage while the PC was running. Being very careful and all as I twisted it to clear the CPU cooler I think I touched the Mobo and Chassis at the same time and it went POP. lol. Looked up and the screen saver was frozen but still on?? Turned it off and when I powered it back up again all I got was a loooooooonnnnnnnnnnnnggggggggg Beep.
    Lian Li PC-7F Chassis Black
    Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 MB (Rev. 1.1 BIOS v.F8c)
    Gigabyte ODIN GT 800Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Quad Q9550 E0 @ 3.4Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    G.Skill 2X2GB F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK
    2 X ATI Radeon HD4850 512MB (Crossfired)
    Dell Ultrasharp 2209WA IPS
    2 X 1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1
    Pioneer DVR216 SATA DVD MultiDrive
    Windows 7 Ultimate X64 RC1 (Build 7232)
    ------------------------------------------------
    Gigabyte Poseidon Chassis
    Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3 (Rev. 1.0 BIOS v.F9)
    ASUS Artic Square CPU Cooling with AS5
    Thermaltake TR2 RX 550Watt PSU
    Intel Core2Duo E8500 E0 @ 3.8Ghz @ 1.25vcore
    Corsair 2 X 2Gb XMS2 PC6400C5 DDR2
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800GT 512MB
    1 X Seagate 1TB 7200.12 + Seagate 750GB 7211.11
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Thanks for your replies, and thanks for the tip re. the PSU.

As the fans were still running (including the HSF) and the LEDs on the MOBO were all lit at the time I turned it off, I had vainly assumed/hoped it was ok, and would have connected up new mobo to it....!

I'll have to go get a PSU tester, as although I've got an old pentium 1 machine I could sacrifice, I don't think the connectors would be compatible, apart from the molex's, & can't use pentium PSU on new mobo, as I think it's probably way too low-powered -but I'll open it up now and check it out.

-Lsdmeasaps hint re. shrink wrap just came in; I'm nodding my head vigorously in agreement! (especially after what I did!!).

Will go get some of that as well; but still think I'll stick to proper length leads in first place; they're relatively cheap...compared to a replacement mobo/+anything else fried!

Will let you all know how (2nd!) new build goes...and might asl some more Q's if there are probs!.

Good Luck Bud
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Nimrod Aus's reply just arrived -thanks for the input; and yes, this very green 1st time builder just learned another lesson; I've been moving/inserting unconnected components (yes...hard drive) while machine on. Won't do it again, believe me!

re. PSU, it's a good one, (Be Quiet darkpower pro 750W) so should have short circuit protection? ...I'll start researching that now!
    -if it has, maybe it's tripped, but I can't see any 'reset' switches or similar; or would it be an internal fuse? oh well, more research...

-one more question guys,

-I'm just as green with using forums; it will be a while (possibly Monday) before I get new mobo connected up (& new PSU?) so if I have any more queries, should I start a new thread, or continue with this one? ...or do they go 'stale', and nobody out there revisits?

Na man use this thread, Im subscribed and im Sure LSD would be to so he'll get your post when you write back. Dont beat yourself up dude. Just think of it was a "Learning Experience" Were would the fun be with out a fried Motherboard or two?? You should look into getting it on some form of house hold insurance?? just say the power flickered and then your board went fizzz. lol. Im waiting for my TV to blow up from one of these electrical storms we get so I can get a new big one.

A quick google doesn't suggest it does or doesnt have short circuit protection but with a PSU of that caliber I would be supprised if it didn't have some form of protection.
    Last edited by NimrodAUS; 07-03-2009 at 04:43 PM.
    Noctua NH-U12P + AS5
    Sony SATA DVD MultiDrive

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information