Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help for Wake On LAN, EP45-DS3R

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Need help for Wake On LAN, EP45-DS3R

With WireShark you don't need another machine, just run a capture and use that website from that computer. The site does alert you that you are trying to wake your own computer but still sends the WOL packets, 20 of them.

ooh!! that's good news then. I'm installing it right away :)

I recognized something interesting. I tried another modem router and everything worked perfectly. But I used to run this modem without problems with the same settings with my previous system! I also updated my bios to the latest beta, hope it works well :) I guess problem is solved at least on gigabyte side ;) Thank you all.

@australis

Hello,

I have got the same problem. I was wondering does your NIC led stays on when your pc is in S3 or S5. Mine isn't. But i can use Wake on Lan online, only for 5 minutes.

I think there are 2 options. My NIC doesn't stays on while in standby (that's why i am asking you if your nic stays on after the bios update) or my router flushes the ARP and doesn't know where to send the magic packet to.

Hi peanuke. After bios update nothing changed in fact. Nic led stays off after shutdown (including S3). If power outage occurs the system never wakes up (!) even after power is back!! That's too bad. And I haven't tried to wake the system up after 5-10 mins after shutdown. If that's true as you said then wol is totally useless for this mainboard. Btw, null arp cache shouldn't affect this 'cause magic packet is sent by broadcasting! Afaik, a sleeping ethernet card does not know its IP address but MAC address. That's why broadcasting is used. Correct me if I'm wrong. Anyway, I'm totally disappointed with wol feature of this mainboard :-/

Quote Originally Posted by australis View Post
    Hi peanuke. After bios update nothing changed in fact. Nic led stays off after shutdown (including S3). If power outage occurs the system never wakes up (!) even after power is back!! That's too bad.
    Yes, no wakeup after power outage though the router link LED is on. I guess the wake up setup is stored in a volatile memory and is lost during power outage.

Quote Originally Posted by australis
    And I haven't tried to wake the system up after 5-10 mins after shutdown. If that's true as you said then wol is totally useless for this mainboard.
    I have woke mine after several hours shotdown, i'll re-check tomorrow morning.

Btw, null arp cache shouldn't affect this 'cause magic packet is sent by broadcasting! Afaik, a sleeping ethernet card does not know its IP address but MAC address. That's why broadcasting is used. Correct me if I'm wrong.
    Possibly one of the reason for broadcast.

Anyway, I'm totally disappointed with wol feature of this mainboard :-/
    Did the board you had before would wake up after power outage?

Yes it used to wake up after power outages. It was an old msi neo-v amd board with one integrated realtek nic. (leds stayed on all the time) I'll also try that wakeup after hours.

@Chike

So you can wake up your pc after a few hours and the led of your NIC doesn't stay on. You are using IP broadcast.

Ip broadcast isn't working for me at the time. I have tried the several settings in my router.
    1. ip adress pc 192.168.2.4 (static and dhcp tried both)
    2. ip adress router /modem 1 192.168.2.1, subnetmask 255.255.255.0
    3. forwarded a port to 192.168.2.255 (my router doesn't accept this so i have used a plugin for firefox named "tamper data" so i can change the last number to 255)

When i use Wake on lan online and wolsniffer. Wolsniffer doesn't find anything.

Annother setup is when i change the subnetmask for the router/modem to 192.168.2.128 and portforward a port to 192.168.2.127 the exact same thing, wolsniffer doesn't find anything.

If i port forward a port to my pcí ip (192.168.2.4 , static or dhcp doesn't matter), wolsniffer finds a magic packet.

The only thing is i am also using a second router/modem as an repeater. Portforwarding on this router isn't relevent, because i have tested it with and without portforwdring ports and wolsniffer always finds magic packets (only when i send to my pc's ip)

Have you got any answers to my problem.

Oh i almost forgot. I have also tried to telnet in to my router/modem, but this also doesn't work. The one thing that works is:
    1. Remote desktop control if pc is on
    2. wol online within 5 minutes after shutdown to S3 or S5.

Quote Originally Posted by peauke View Post
    Ip broadcast isn't working for me at the time. I have tried the several settings in my router.
    1. ip adress pc 192.168.2.4 (static and dhcp tried both)
    2. ip adress router /modem 1 192.168.2.1, subnetmask 255.255.255.0
    3. forwarded a port to 192.168.2.255 (my router doesn't accept this so i have used a plugin for firefox named "tamper data" so i can change the last number to 255)
    You mean the HTML script won't allow it but the rauter does actually accpet it? Note that if the script does not allow it there is probably a reason. the broadcast adress only indicate the need to broadcast, which basically means sending the same message to all active link regardless of their IP.

There are different types of port forwarding, in my router the page to do this is vitual servers (it has it as a pre defined setting.) See what is the right section for this in your router.

my first router modem is a siemens gigaset SX551 and my second router (repeater) is a digiconnect WIC328.

here is a link that i used to see how i need to port forward
    Port Forwarding Remote Desktop on the Siemens Gigaset SX541
    and
    Port Forwarding Remote Desktop on the Digiconnect WIC328

So i know where i should enter the correct settings in my router.

You mean the HTML script won't allow it but the rauter does actually accpet it? Note that if the script does not allow it there is probably a reason. the broadcast adress only indicate the need to broadcast, which basically means sending the same message to all active link regardless of their IP.
    You mean that when i can't change it without tamper data then my router doesn't allow ip broadcast.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information