Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: BIOS update killed my LAN! (P35-S3L ver 1.0)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: BIOS update killed my LAN! (P35-S3L ver 1.0)

Yes, that is true. Sorry about that

Yes, PLEASE DO NOT do any flashes if it is storming!!! Good thinking, and good luck I will see you later tonight

Hi again

Sorry about the delay, we had our first child three weeks ago. He has a tendency to distort my planning! :)

Anyway, downloaded awdflash version 8.93 and it is a no-go since it does not even recognize my flash rom chip (i.e. nothing happens). Won't write or save BIOS unfortunately.

I did however find "uniflasher" with SPI support. Two questions: Have you ever tried it and can I thus trust it? [EDIT] removed some text related to SPI since I found this.[/EDIT]

Will try to find a Windows install I can move to this motherboard so I can use @BIOS but so far haven't had the time.

One more thing. I found a Award DMI editor and had a look around. The UUID for the motherboard is all FFs (i.e. FF FF FF FF etc). Since the related issues I linked in the first post all seemed to have circled around the flashing destroying DMI-data for the MAC address I'm thinking maybe I need a valid UUID for the MB as well. Total guesswork I know, but still, do you know anything about this??

Last thing: How does virtual dual BIOS work? Is there some documentation on how it works and how it is to be used??

F
    Last edited by FreddyAV; 07-10-2009 at 12:02 AM.

Ok, I used the DMI editor to browse my other Gigabyte motherboard (P35-DS4 ver 1.?) and the system UUID is equal to that systems MAC address! Except for 10 additional "00"s since UUIDs are longer than MACs.

This is can't be all a coincidence so I used the tool to edit my S3L's UUID from:

FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF FF
    to
    00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 1A 4D 94 4F F3 (last six used to be the MAC address of that board)

but no change (that is LAN still not working, still not in BIOS device list just before booting OS, and going into BIOS setup at boot and pressing F9 for system information still says "N/A" for LAN MAC)!

However two important things though:

1) After I had set the UUID (which survives reboots) the UUID was again set to FF... when I flashed the BIOS with F8 (didn't try with any other).
    2) I never get the message "Updating DMI pool data.... success" or "Verifying DMI pool data..." (don't know the exact spellings but you know which ones I mean) at boot. I do however get that on the DS4 motherboard. Does this indicate that my motherboard is broken in some other way?

I kind of feel that he DMI-part of my system is really messed up. I really would like my motherboard to rebuild the DMI pool data by itself, I have a feeling that would fix my problem, but how to force it???

F
    Last edited by FreddyAV; 07-16-2009 at 04:26 PM.

Bump.

Anyone?

Bump again. Please?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information