Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Can't find saved BIOS image. Help needed.

Default Can't find saved BIOS image. Help needed.

Can any one help me?
    <o:p> </o:p>
    I have a Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R motherboard and Iíve just updated the BIOS from F10 to F12. I noticed that there is now an option in the BIOS to save the current BIOS to hard drive. I Ďenabledí this option. My question is, where does my motherboard store the saved image on my hard drive? I canít find it anywhere! Iíd like to make a backup, just in case.
    Any ideas?

Default Re: Can't find saved BIOS image. Help needed.

That isn't necessary. The board already has it's own backup utility called "dual bios", which works just fine. You can also go to Gigabyte's website and download any of the BIOS's.

If you're talking about saving the "BIOS settings", then you simply press "F11" in the BIOS menu, which saves the settings as profiles.

Core2Duo E8500 E0 @4.25GHz (500x8.5)
    | Windows 7 RC Build 7100 | Visiontek HD4850 OC 685/1100
    Gigabyte
    GA-EP45T-DS3R | 4Gb (2x2Gb) 1333MHz Patriot DDR3 | 1.14TB (640+500gb) WDC Green
    Antec Earthwatts 500w |
    Antec Nine Hundred
    Screenshots:
    [1][2][3][4][5][6]

Thanks for the reply.

But the option is to save the image (in this instance F12) to my hard drive. I'd just like to locate it and save it off computer.

I can't find it.

Well I don't know where it's saved to..

but you can just download the BIOS image from Gigabyte's website. They're the same thing.

EDIT: Keep in mind, the "Xpress Bios Rescue" feature that you're speaking of, is automatic. If your BIOS is damaged, it will automatically scan the harddrive for the backup copy when you boot up the PC.
    Last edited by creamsoda; 07-08-2009 at 01:30 AM.

Core2Duo E8500 E0 @4.25GHz (500x8.5)
    | Windows 7 RC Build 7100 | Visiontek HD4850 OC 685/1100
    Gigabyte
    GA-EP45T-DS3R | 4Gb (2x2Gb) 1333MHz Patriot DDR3 | 1.14TB (640+500gb) WDC Green
    Antec Earthwatts 500w |
    Antec Nine Hundred
    Screenshots:
    [1][2][3][4][5][6]

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

F11 is save BIOS Profile, and F12 is load BIOS Profile. These are stored within the BIOS and not to your hard drive.

If you want to save a copy of your BIOS itself with your saved profiles you can do that two ways. One is install @BIOS and use it to save current BIOS (I Do not suggest using this tool to flash your BIOS though, just to save current ones)

Or you may enter Qflash and save to your hard drive, a floppy, or a USB Stick. To Enter Qflash press F8 from the MAIN Page of the BIOS or press the END Key during bootup. Then you will see your hard drive, USB, or Floppy listed after choosing save current BIOS and then you pick a name and save the BIOS.

If you are referring to the backup like mentioned above it is done automatically to the secondary BIOS chip. And also you can create a secondary backup on your disk instead of the second BIOS Chip if you enable Backup BIOS to HPA in the BIOS in the advanced BIOS page.

Do keep in mind that you MUST NOT enable this setting if you are using a RAID Setup, or it WILL Corrupt your array because it will move it out of alignment. It must be done before the array creation if you plan to use a RAID Array.

Sorry, I think Iíve misled you. I meant BIOS version F10 and F12 and not the function key on the keyboard. Iíve upgraded my BIOS version from F10 to F12. In the new BIOS I noticed that there was an option to save the current BIOS version to HDD. I selected this option but now I canít find the saved image.
    I was just wondering if any one knew where..

Ahh ok. That feature is what I mentioned above about the HPA backup.

It is a backup in the HPA Section of the hard drive, something you cannot see without certain tools and even with those tools you cannot view the files or modify them.

So you are fine, since you enabled it you now have a backup stored in the HPA Section of your hard drive. Here is a Wiki page about this section of hard drives
    Host protected area - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Thanks Lsdmeasap,

I understand now. My flash from F10 to F12 was successful (my first one). I know there are two BIOS on my motherboard and I now have a copy on my hard drive.

I’m not worried any more.

Thanks

Jessica

Glad to be of some help, ya you are safe for sure with Dual BIOS and hard drive backup!

Post back anytime if you have anymore questions

Thread Information