Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: EX58 EXTREME SLI - PCI-X x8 only on PCIEX_16_2 slot?

Default EX58 EXTREME SLI - PCI-X x8 only on PCIEX_16_2 slot?

Hello,

I have just built my new system around the GIGABYTE EX58-EXTREME motherboard, with a dual GTX285 graphics card SLI configuration.

These cards are, as recommended, in the PCIEX16_1 and PCIEX16_2 slots, the PXIEX_8 slot is empty. There also is a RocketRaid 2310 card in the PCIEX4 slot. Everything is stock at the moment, and the BIOS settings are the "optimized defaults".

Inspecting my graphics card settings with GPU-Z, I noticed that one graphics card is reported as connected to PCI-E x8, the second to x16. This is strange - I know that PCIEX16_2 reverts to x8 if PCIEX8 is used, but PCIEX8 is empty....

What is wrong?

Thanks,
    Cobalt

PS - Bios is the latest (F7)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: EX58 EXTREME SLI - PCI-X x8 only on PCIEX_16_2 slot?

What happens if your remove the card from the x4 slot, is it the same or does it function as normal? Do both cards function at 2.0 X16 when they are tested one at a time in PCIE slot 1? Just wondering

You are correct that it should not be affected using the x4 slot, you do have the RAID Card in the slot above PCIE1 correct? Just checking, that's the x4 slot. Sorry if you know that, just have to ask as you never know who thinks what ya know.

What BIOS are you using, I do suggest the latest Beta >>>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

Please use Qflash to update, or FlashSPI from DOS if you have issues coming from an older BIOS. Here is a Qflash guide
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/

Also, what PSU do you have? Using the latest GPU-z?

Can you post me images of GPU-z, and Everest GPU Tab if you have the program if not please grab the trial here >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/late...y-tools-30530/

It could just be a BIOS issue, This would be my first thought if it was me and I would update before testing further.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    What happens if your remove the card from the x4 slot, is it the same or does it function as normal? Do both cards function at 2.0 X16 when they are tested one at a time in PCIE slot 1? Just wondering
    Will probably check this next. As this is my boot RAID array I will have to build Vista on a separate disk before I can run anything - unless there is a CD-bootable diagnostic for the PCI-E bus...

You are correct that it should not be affected using the x4 slot, you do have the RAID Card in the slot above PCIE1 correct? Just checking, that's the x4 slot. Sorry if you know that, just have to ask as you never know who thinks what ya know.
    It definitely is the x4 slot - after all, the x16 slots are much larger, so a mistake is unlikely... I wondered more if I accidentally put the 2nd graphics card in the x8 slot. But that has a different colour, so pretty certain I didn't.

What BIOS are you using, I do suggest the latest Beta >>> http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/
    I will try this as a last resort, considering the risk involved in that...

Also, what PSU do you have? Using the latest GPU-z?
    1100W - more than enough. GPU-z downloaded yesterday.

Can you post me images of GPU-z, and Everest GPU Tab
    Just downloaded Everest, and it also reported

Bus Type: PCI Express 2.0 x16 @ x8 <--- for 1st GPU
    Bus Type: PCI Express 2.0 x16 @ x16 <--- for 2nd GPU

will post images separately.

Thanks for your help, will try removing the x4 card next, but will take some time as I need to organise a spare disk...

Cobalt

Hmm very odd, looks to be the first card/slot running at x8, normally it would not be the first slot.

Just so you are sure, here is a image from your manual so you can check to be sure you are using PCIE 1+2 and not the PCIE x8 slot >>

So can you please test slot one, by itself with both cards one at a time. This will let us know if the slot is ok and if both cards alone are ok.

BIOS Flash is not so risky really, as long as you do it when it is not storming and you follow proper procedures. I flash likely 10 times a month or more, already 4 times this week actually testing out various things.

Thanks for posting this image - always good to check for the obvious...

yes, they are both in these two slots, and the 3rd slot (different colour, too!) is empty.

C.

Sorry, just read your post properly. Will do a bit of card-swapping tonight - but this is very high effort as the system is watercooled (CPU, MoBo + GPUs) so swapping a card is some work...

Current plan:

1) Just pull GPU2 and see if GPU1 changes from x8 to x16.

2) Just pull GPU1 and see if GPU2 changes

3) Disconnect RAID card in x4 slot. Put in spare disk in any SATA port, build vista x64 (minimal), load MoBo drivers, then download GPU-Z and everest and see if that changes anything.

I can do the above without rerouting pipes...

Failing that, swap both GPUs and do (1) again. Can be done with maybe 60 minutes of pipework...

Is there a way to check whether a slot is woking x16 or x8 without booting the full OS? That would make things easier, especially (3).

C.

Ya I would start there first, if you do not want to flash your BIOS. But I do advise that really, and that would be where I personally would start.

Ya you can run Hirens boot CD or any other Bootable CD OS like MiniPE and then run GPU-z from a USB Stick

But hey Vista installs in about 12 minutes anyway, so it may be quicker for you provided you do not have any of the above on hand

Thanks, I will try the Beta BIOS first, then - can always go back to the F7 version if it does not fix the problem...

I am qute happy to flash my BIOS, it is the first thing I did after the initial OS install to update it to the lates official BIOS (F7), I am just a bit hesitant to try a beta BIOS if there is no specific fix in that BIOS for the issue, but hey, anything to avoid having to drain down the system...

I am not familiar with Hirens boot CD or MiniPE (have found the isos, though). Which one would you recommend (MiniPE appears to be more comprehensive)? And I assume they boot into a Win32 environment that can run GPU-Z?

C.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information