Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 35

Thread: i7 920 @3.8ghz hitting 100c on stress tests HELP Please




  1. #11
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: i7 920 @3.8ghz hitting 100c on stress tests HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by viper7lv View Post
    JJJ you just hit the nail on the head in your last response. Your heatsink fan is not able to supply enough air flow across the Ultra 120 to cool your CPU under load. I would guess that the CFM air flow of the fan you have is between 45 and 58 CFM at max speed of 1600, that is good for Idle but not for cooling any kind of load you put on the CPU.
    I have the Ultra 120, with an i7 940, at 4.0ghz, my Vcore is 1.375, and my QPI is 1.425, so my voltage to my CPU are much higher then you are using for your CPU. My Idle core temp are the same as yours, but at load my core temps never go above 70C, that using Prime95 for about 4 hours….
    You need to get a new heatsink fan with a higher air flow. The fan I use is the CoolJag Everflow 120mm, that has an air flow of 110 CFM at 2400RPM, I use the PWM feature in the BIOS, so that the CPU controls the speed of the fan, it runs about 1500 at idle and around 2050 under load. Hope this helps you

    The fan that came with the TRUE is the Thermalright TR-FDB-1600 it has an airflow of 63.7 CFM. I didn't even think about this being an issue--duh. I swapped it out with a 2000rpm Evercool fan that has an airflow of 79.14 CFM and just ran the same test as my last and the highest core was 82c. I think you are right the solution is getting a 110 CFM fan or higher. Anyone else care to chime in on this? Any other fan recommendations?
    Last edited by JJJ; 07-09-2009 at 10:27 AM.
    <<< System Summary >>>

    > Power Supply: CORSAIR 750TX
    > Mainboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme Bios 1102
    > CPU: Intel Core i7 930 @ Stock settings
    > CPU HeatSink: Thermalright Ultra 120
    > Physical Memory:Mushkin Ridgeback 998826 6GB 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24
    > Video Card: EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
    > DVD-Rom Drive: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B
    > Monitor Type: Lacie Electron 22 Blue IV
    > OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64

  2. #12

    Default Re: i7 920 @3.8ghz hitting 100c on stress tests HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    The fan that came with the TRUE is the Thermalright TR-FDB-1600 it has an airflow of 63.7 CFM. I didn't even think about this being an issue--duh. I swapped it out with a 2000rpm Evercool fan that has an airflow of 79.14 CFM and just ran the same test as my last and the highest core was 82c. I think your right the solution is getting a 110 CFM fan or higher. Anyone else care to chime in on this? Any other fan recommendations?
    I am using the fan that came with the TRUE, now that you mention that I did think about replacing the fan at some point. I may do so now. I hate noise but if I get a variable fan it should only kick in when necessary.

    It's a bit disappointing that Thermalright would include a fan that would not use the potential of their excellent heat sink design.

    One more note, did you check you installed the heatsink in the optimal orientation? The heatsink works best when it is installed horizontally across the CPU, such that the length of the heatsink hangs over the ram slots. It's only a problem if you have ram with finned heatsinks that stick up.
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
    3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
    Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: i7 920 @3.8ghz hitting 100c on stress tests HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by demonsavatar View Post
    I am using the fan that came with the TRUE, now that you mention that I did think about replacing the fan at some point. I may do so now. I hate noise but if I get a variable fan it should only kick in when necessary.

    It's a bit disappointing that Thermalright would include a fan that would not use the potential of their excellent heat sink design.

    One more note, did you check you installed the heatsink in the optimal orientation? The heatsink works best when it is installed horizontally across the CPU, such that the length of the heatsink hangs over the ram slots. It's only a problem if you have ram with finned heatsinks that stick up.

    I tried it vertically with the FAN on either side of the heatsink and horizontally with the fan blowing up. I found that it performed worse horizontally--but I only tried it once in the fit I've been in trying to get my temps lower. Did you receive the same FAN as I with your TRUE?
    <<< System Summary >>>

    > Power Supply: CORSAIR 750TX
    > Mainboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme Bios 1102
    > CPU: Intel Core i7 930 @ Stock settings
    > CPU HeatSink: Thermalright Ultra 120
    > Physical Memory:Mushkin Ridgeback 998826 6GB 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24
    > Video Card: EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
    > DVD-Rom Drive: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B
    > Monitor Type: Lacie Electron 22 Blue IV
    > OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    31

    Default Re: i7 920 @3.8ghz hitting 100c on stress tests HELP Please

    The Thermalright fan that came with your Ultra 120 was and is intended to be use on Intel and AMD CPU’s that are being run/used at their stock settings only. The fan was not designed to handle the cooling air flow needed when a CPU is being overclocked, as you are doing with the 920. Yes, it may be able to handle the overclocked CPU cooling at idle, but once any kind of load is placed on the CPU your temps will go up drastically.

  5. #15

    Default Re: i7 920 @3.8ghz hitting 100c on stress tests HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    I tried it vertically with the FAN on either side of the heatsink and horizontally with the fan blowing up. I found that it performed worse horizontally--but I only tried it once in the fit I've been in trying to get my temps lower. Did you receive the same FAN as I with your TRUE?
    I guess any defects in the CPU or heatsink would override a general statement that it works better in a certain direction. When X-bit labs compared about 12 coolers, they found that the horizontal orientation was better for most, if not all of them and they claimed it was because of the location of the cores on the silicon. And yes, I also received the TR-FDP-1600 fan which is rated for ~63 CFM.

    Quote Originally Posted by viper7lv View Post
    The Thermalright fan that came with your Ultra 120 was and is intended to be use on Intel and AMD CPU’s that are being run/used at their stock settings only. The fan was not designed to handle the cooling air flow needed when a CPU is being overclocked, as you are doing with the 920. Yes, it may be able to handle the overclocked CPU cooling at idle, but once any kind of load is placed on the CPU your temps will go up drastically.
    I find that hard to believe since these coolers are meant for enthusiasts and designed for overclocking. Also, the 64 CFM the included fan pushes is much higher than stock Intel cooler for the i7 920 which I think only pushes around 40CFM. The TRUE and many other higher end heatsinks scale well with higher CFM fans so pushing it up closer to 100 CFM may help a lot.

    Now to decide which fan to buy....I am leaning towards the Cooler Master Y720CCD-25K1-GP which has variable speeds and can push up to 109 CFM at max and also run quieter at idle! The included Thermalright TR-FDP-1600 fan is always running at 1600 RPM.

    Update: Eh scratch that Cooler Master, I guess I should be looking for a fan with PWM control?
    Last edited by demonsavatar; 07-10-2009 at 12:14 AM.
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
    3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
    Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

  6. #16
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: i7 920 @3.8ghz hitting 100c on stress tests HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by demonsavatar View Post

    Update: Eh scratch that Cooler Master, I guess I should be looking for a fan with PWM control?
    I just put an order in for the fan Viper7lv is using "The fan I use is the CoolJag Everflow 120mm, that has an air flow of 110 CFM at 2400RPM, I use the PWM feature in the BIOS, so that the CPU controls the speed of the fan, it runs about 1500 at idle and around 2050 under load. Hope this helps you."

    Here is a link:

    Everflow R121225BU 120x120x25mm 2400rpm PWM Case Fan 4-pin connector SKU: R121225BUAF
    <<< System Summary >>>

    > Power Supply: CORSAIR 750TX
    > Mainboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme Bios 1102
    > CPU: Intel Core i7 930 @ Stock settings
    > CPU HeatSink: Thermalright Ultra 120
    > Physical Memory:Mushkin Ridgeback 998826 6GB 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24
    > Video Card: EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
    > DVD-Rom Drive: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B
    > Monitor Type: Lacie Electron 22 Blue IV
    > OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64

  7. #17

    Default Re: i7 920 @3.8ghz hitting 100c on stress tests HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by JJJ View Post
    I just put an order in for the fan Viper7lv is using "The fan I use is the CoolJag Everflow 120mm, that has an air flow of 110 CFM at 2400RPM, I use the PWM feature in the BIOS, so that the CPU controls the speed of the fan, it runs about 1500 at idle and around 2050 under load. Hope this helps you."

    Here is a link:

    Everflow R121225BU 120x120x25mm 2400rpm PWM Case Fan 4-pin connector SKU: R121225BUAF
    Ahh nice, I actually found the same one at FrozenCPU but they were charging much more for it! If ya don't mind using eBay you can save another couple dollars on it actually.

    Update: I bought the Everflow R121225BU from eBay (I had eBay bucks so it was almost free)! I will tell you how well it works once I get it.
    Last edited by demonsavatar; 07-10-2009 at 12:53 AM.
    i7 920 C0/C1 3841A
    24/7 OC: 21x183Mhz = 3.84Ghz @ stock Vcore/QPI voltages
    Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme 1366
    3x2GB OCZ DDR1600 OCZ3P1600LV6GK
    EX58-UD4P BIOS F11
    EVGA GTX 260 Core 216 SC 55nm 896-P3-1257-AR
    Antec NEO HE 550 Power Supply

  8. #18
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    34

    Default Re: i7 920 @3.8ghz hitting 100c on stress tests HELP Please

    Quote Originally Posted by demonsavatar View Post
    Ahh nice, I actually found the same one at FrozenCPU but they were charging much more for it! If ya don't mind using eBay you can save another couple dollars on it actually.

    Update: I bought the Everflow R121225BU from eBay (I had eBay bucks so it was almost free)! I will tell you how well it works once I get it.

    Canceled other order and ordered on ebay for 2 bucks less, thanks for the tip demonsavatar.
    <<< System Summary >>>

    > Power Supply: CORSAIR 750TX
    > Mainboard: Asus Rampage III Extreme Bios 1102
    > CPU: Intel Core i7 930 @ Stock settings
    > CPU HeatSink: Thermalright Ultra 120
    > Physical Memory:Mushkin Ridgeback 998826 6GB 1600Mhz 6-8-6-24
    > Video Card: EVGA 012-P3-1470-AR GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP
    > DVD-Rom Drive: TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-S203B
    > Monitor Type: Lacie Electron 22 Blue IV
    > OS: Microsoft Windows 7 Professional x64

  9. #19

    Default Re: i7 920 @3.8ghz hitting 100c on stress tests HELP Please

    I use a Scythe Ultra Kaze - that is one bad ass fan. It has a 133.60 CFM airflow and it sounds like my case is about to turn into a helicopter when it starts spinning up - goes 3000 ą10% RPM. I have it on top of my Scythe Mugen 2 CPU cooler on a push/pill setup blowing air down onto my XFX 285 GTX graphics card that has an Accelero Xtreme 280 aircooler on it.

    Ultra Kaze is really load with a noise level of 45.90 dBA. It takes some getting used to if you never heard something like that before. I run it with like 2000 RPM and that is ok.

    Newegg.com - Scythe Ultra Kaze 3000 - 120 mm


    If I count all the fans in my Antec 1200 case, its a total of 14 ???

    3 on the front blowing air in.
    1 pulling air from the 3 in front - pushing it towards the motherboard and CPU cooler.
    1 is my PSU.
    2 on the CPU cooler.
    2 on the back panel sucking air out.
    1 on the sidewindow pushing air on the graphics card.
    3 smal 92mm is the Accelero Xtreme 280 cooler.
    And 1 massive 200mm Big Boy on the top sucking air out.

    My case really creates some airflow - lol.

    This is how it looked when installing.
    Last edited by Grnkjr0; 09-14-2009 at 11:59 AM.

  10. #20

    Default Re: i7 920 @3.8ghz hitting 100c on stress tests HELP Please

    And this is how it looks at night - cool if you like blue LEDīs.

    Edit: sorry about all the editing, just wanted to clarify something.

    This is not the best configuration. The reason why the Ultra Kaze is sitting on top pushing air down through the CPU cooler is that when I bought and installed my XFX 285 GTX, the Ultra Kaze was at the bottom, but with the graphics card installed, I was actually pushing hot air into the CPU cooler. I then mounted it on the top to cool down the XFX 285 GTX, which ran very hot when overclocked. Now with the Accelero Xtreme 280 installed I can go back to the better solution again. But the best setup is actually having the Ultra Kaze installed on the right side of the CPU cooler, because it gets cool air from the 3 front intake fans and the one pushing it further towards the CPU cooler. I think I have to look into this again.

    Sorry again for all the editing.
    Last edited by Grnkjr0; 09-14-2009 at 11:59 AM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •