Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Computer Freezes!

Default Re: Computer Freezes!

Wow! I'm just a novice. Can you state all of that last post in language an idiot like me can understand please? I think I know what you are saying, but I don't want to make things worse by a lack of understanding.

Chike is offline Senior Member

That was supposed to be english, even though it's not my main language.

Load optimized defauls in BIOS to make sure you start clean with no bad hodden settings.
    Then set memory timings (standard and advanced) manualy (don't leave them on auto,) just copy the values you see in BIOS. Same with static tRead.
    You may also set channel driving strength to 1066 (not have to).
    All that just to make sure values set as desired.

Then run memtest, if you get errors again then run memtest, with only one modue installed at slot 1, at a time.

P.S. loading optimized defaults may chage disk boot order if you have more than one, so if you are not able to boot into windows, change the order in advanced BIOS settings (the first item there)
    Last edited by Chike; 07-10-2009 at 05:58 AM.

Thanks, I'll give all that a try and get back to you. It will probably be a while.

I did what you advised. I ran separate Memtests on each memory stick. All checked out except one. I stopped testing it after registering over 300 errors. I then ran Memtest with the other three installed and registered 0 errors. So I guess that stick is bad. Now, the BIOS is now all at default settings. I still don't know if my freeze-up problem is solved. My question now is: should I leave my settings at their defaults, or change some to the levels advised in some of the previous entries here? In any event, I certainly appreciate all your help. I would never have found this bad stick without you.

You probably found your main problem, hopefully there are no others.
    You may leave your settings at default if all works fine, but as explained in the link i first posted it is recommended to use a +0.1V MCH Voltage for more than 2x1GB of memory.
    If you realy want to make sure everything works perfecly ok after you replace that module (or pair) you should run some stress test (ICCT/Prime95/IntelBurnTest), just monitor your temps with RealTemp or CoreTemp and make sure they don't exceed 65C.

I have no clue in what mode 3 modules work, but it's probably not at best performance.

If you can't RMA your memory and you buy a new module instead, make sure it is the same exact manufacturer prart number, or you are asking for trouble. If you don't have the part number on the modules you can see it in the SPD tab of CPU-Z that you can find here.

so far, so good. Thanks very much for the help.

Bad news...........the computer just froze up on me again. I am at my wit's end here.

You may find it easier to mark the bad stick and also place it with the module it came with if you bought two matched 2x1GB kits. It's good practice with a faulty module to RMA them in at least pairs. I'm sure Crucial would recommend this too.

Install your two remaining 1GB modules for 2GB total atm (not too bad a RAM amount) and try default setings, remembering to adjust VDIMM correctly and setting MCH core to 1.2V to start. If you have a freeze feel free to post a template of the current settings and I'm sure people can help from there. Now the faulty stick has been eliminated (hopefully) it should be easier to get you stable until your replacement RAM arrives.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

The templete to fill your setting in can be found in this post.
    And filling your signature with your system info as you posted it in your first post can help.

I was advised to increase the DRAM voltage to 1.98. I did. But I am not sure what it has done to my temperatures. Since I've never monitored them before, I don't know if what I have now is normal or not. Can you help me out?
    System: 46 C
    CPU: 38C
    Friendlyphil

System Info:
    Gigabyte GA-P45T-ES3G Rev. 1.3
    Intel Core2 Duo E8400 LGA775 3GHz
    Gigabyte ATI Radeon HD 4670
    Aero Cool i-curve box
    2-WD 640GB HD's
    Kingston 2 x 4GB DDR3 1333MHz
    Windows 7 Pro 64-bit
    Bios V. F1