Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ex58-ud5 wont post

Default ex58-ud5 wont post

Hi

I just built a brand new EX58-UD5 based computer. Sadly, I cannot get it it to POST.

When I turn the PC on the fans power up, but I get no video output and my USB peripherals do not lightup. The instant the PC turns on i get the error code 88 (8B?) on the debug led. The memory load LEDs show 4/6 bars, and the CPU load LEDs show 2 bars.

• I have tried booting with all the memory, some of the memory, none of the memory. (Corsair 2x6Gb 1600Mhz Platinum HX3X12G1600C9)
    • I have also tried with all CD Drives + HDDs etc removed.
    • I have even tried another graphics card and with no graphics card in at all.
    • I have tried another power supply

To me it looks like I have tried everything.. but I still get error code 88!

My power supply is a brand new Corsair HX620, and I have a Core i7 920.

What could possibly be wrong? Why am I getting this message, and what does it mean?

Thanks
    Mitch

Edit: Something else I just noticed is the decimal points on the error led also light up. So the entire display is lit up. Does anyone else have experience with error codes, do the decimals usually light up? If not, I have a suspicion I am not seeing "88", but instead the entire display is simply light up for some reason, meaning something else..
    Last edited by mitchsw; 07-10-2009 at 03:23 PM.

Default Re: ex58-ud5 wont post

Your video card is ok? You are sure it is hooked up correctly? What kind of ram is it? I know i cant get OCZ to post without using corsair or crucial to change bios first. If you have high powered ram it might be the problem.

Try without video card, try with ram you know is "normal". Try hitting the reset CMOS button just in case something got jumbled, it will use the back up.

My video card is fine. I checked it in another computer and it worked perfectly. I tried it in the two x16 slots in the ex58-ud5.

The memory I got is Corsair 2x6Gb 1600Mhz Platinum HX3X12G1600C9 (pdf). Vdimm=1.6V. The problem there is I have no other compatible memory available for me to test. Could this be the problem?

I'm going to go into a computer shop today, and if they get it to boot with other memory, what settings should I change to make my memory work?

Thanks.
    Last edited by mitchsw; 07-11-2009 at 06:58 AM.

Its proly not the vid card, just go into bios and up the dram voltage to 1.6 or 1.62 to be safe. Most chips actually use a 1.2 qpi/vtt ( i have had 3 920's so far so my knowledge is limited, but, better than just playing with 1). The reason i bring up qpi voltage is that it has to be 0.5 or less than your dram voltage. So if your qpi is 1.3, your dram can be up to 1.8, but, i would stay within 0.4 just because.

Of course you have the window to RMA? Did you get it at newegg? If so I would go crazy as soon as you get everything installed, put a mild oc, like 160-180 Bclk and then let it burn over night to get the chip going, then start throwing everything at it. If you don't like it or the chip goes, just RMA! haha, its what i did to get a good one. Can run this C0 stepping at 3800-3900 stock volts, break 4k at 1.25 vcore.

I had trouble using high end ram on some other systems i built in the past, wouldn't post until i could use some other ram and go in and up voltages.

Ummm my whole issue is i get nothing on screen so i dont know how i can get into bios...

I didn't buy from NewEgg, i am not american. But i really do think it is just a faulty motherboard, nothing seems to get it running.

Is there any other reasons im missing as to why it wont boot?

Thanks,
    Mitch

Gigabyte support should be able to tell you the meaning of the code you are getting.
    You have pretty much ruled out everything but the motherboard - time to RMA.
    It would be a good idea to try some low voltage ram to see if the board will boot. I had the problem in the past with a OCZ module that demanded more voltage than the board used as default though this was with a p45 chipset and DDR2 ram. Once again, gigabyte support should be able to help.

Did you try it with everything out of the case?

I have tried with everything out of the case thanks Conners.

I just took it to a computer shop and they had a look. They didn't have any other DDR3 memory to try (and neither do I) but they concluded its a bad motherboard. I think I agree with them, but to be honest i am not so sure how much they knew.

I tried to find a number for Gigabyte support but I couldn't. Do they have phone support?

Mitch

Might give this page a try!

GIGABYTE

This is a USA number but it is all I have
    Support Phone Number: 1-626-854-9338

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information