Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooling advise needed

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Cooling advise needed

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    The MOSFETs are the small (around 4mmx5mm) flat chips lying flat to the board, next to the chokes. The chokes are those larger square pieces that stand nearly a centimetre tall.

I've attached a pic of the UD3 as it has no FET coolers, so they're visible.

Edit*** The white squared off chips are also MOSFETS. I must have switched colours by mistake.
    Thanks, my board is a bit less sophisticated, and don't have so many, so I guess these are mine, all those with 3 legs.

Yes, those are the ones.

It looks like your board has 4 phase CPU power, where as the EP45-UD3 series all have 6 phase, meaning 6 triplets of MOSFETS and 6 chokes compared to the 4 of each on your board.

When you get the sinks on are you going for a higher overclock? Seems as though you have a good chip judging by the voltage needed for your current OC. Very nice indeed!

You could use alcohol from 70% purity up quite safely, however it is best to go for 90% up. As you obviously know, 70% can leave residue. This can be minimised but not eliminated by polishing with a clean paper towel first moistened with a drop of distilled water, then another towel to completely dry the CPU. I believe the stuff I have is 90%. The chemist said he had 99% but it's a nuisance because it evaporates so quickly if the container isn't air tight and relatively full.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

When you get the sinks on are you going for a higher overclock?
    Sure enough as far as it would let me, though I have already played with the FSB and couldn't get it highr than 410, but I'd be happy if I can get it to 3.8Ghz.

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Seems as though you have a good chip judging by the voltage needed for your current OC. Very nice indeed!
    Oops forgot to update my sig.
    It has a very low VID. I don't know how it's done per chip or for a serias.
    Still it get's up to 70s with my current HS so had to posponded until I get it replaced, Saturday it will be if everything go as planed.

I'll go to another one or two farmeies tomorrow but if I can't get the alcohol the aceton will have to do I guess, I'll see how it go. Shouldn't be worse than cleaning with water as I did till now LOL I'm a noob what can I say?

I'd be happy to post my settings if you like. Bear in mind that my chip has a high VID of 1.2625V though, and needs a high-ish CPU termination too. You could possibly get away with using much less voltage. My E7400 is also a different stepping to both E7200 variants, with an R0 designation rather than M0. Values other than Vcore and CPU termination would almost definitely be similar though.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)

I'd be happy to post my settings if you like. Bear in mind that my chip has a high VID of 1.2625V though, and needs a high-ish CPU termination too. You could possibly get away with using much less voltage. My E7400 is also a different stepping to both E7200 variants, with an R0 designation rather than M0. Values other than Vcore and CPU termination would almost definitely be similar though.
    Problem is I only have CPU Core, Termination ,and Referece to play with in addition to MCH Core, and I/O.
    Still need to figure what CPU Termination and Reference are, I'll post a question about it, if no one else does, when I run out of the other options.

I apreciate the settings offer but I rather get my hands dirty (so to speak) and learn how things should be done and what they are actually doing, besides, it gives me something to do.

I like to learn new things (they say it even may extend your life) and already learned greatly the past 2/3 weeks I am on this forum.

Thank you for the replies

I forgot that you have a P43. At first glance the model number looks similar to my EP45-UD3P.

Finding your own way is definitely fun. As always If there was only one piece of advice I could give, then for a dual core it would be MCH reference. It's almost a universal constant that as FSB and CPU speed rise, MCH ref helps with stability if it's lowered to 0.740, 0.720,0.700 or even 0.680 @ 1.2V CPU term. As you're running on a P43 this may not be an issue. Don't know if the P43 is an entirely different chip or just a lower binned P45 with features disabled.
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

You can just as easily use 60-90% ect isopropyl alcohol as all you are doing is cleaning things up. Sure the more pure the better it may work but less pure will also clean up things just fine

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You can just as easily use 60-90% ect isopropyl alcohol as all you are doing is cleaning things up. Sure the more pure the better it may work but less pure will also clean up things just fine
    My understanding is that high-purity isopropyl is used for being a low residual solvent. If it's purity is not very high, it loses this quality. I have aceton which i belive has the same quality in it's pure form, but it is only 90% which means 10% water.
    The thing is I couldn't find isopropyl where I live at all, so I might as well settle with the aceton.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Yes, either would be ok just be sure to not over do it and get any under things, and be sure it is fully dry before you apply heatsinks and start your board

You can buy Arctic Clean from a few places that ship worldwide if you would like to buy this and wait let me know and I can link you to a few shops where you can order some.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    You can buy Arctic Clean from a few places that ship worldwide if you would like to buy this and wait let me know and I can link you to a few shops where you can order some.
    It's a highly flamable substence and would not, or at least must not ship by air-mail.
    I have thought about it for a split second, the last thing I need on my concious for yhe rest of my life is the death of a plane crew or even some hundrad passangers because I had to clean a stupid heat sink. I'd take 5C more willingly just not to have that on my mind.

I got a 95% alcohol at the pharmecy, it's colorless and has no toxic warning on the bottle, smells like vodka, I'll use it for final cleaning.
    Last edited by Chike; 07-17-2009 at 07:12 PM.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information