Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Cooling advise needed

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Cooling advise needed

Installed Migen 2, MOS1, 2 new intake fans and replaces exhust fan with a more quiet one. pictures attached.

System temp dropped 3c CPU dropped 0c. IBT faled so I had to raise VCore 3 notches, temps go up to 70 *sigh*.
    Arctic Silver claim CPU temps drop 2-5c during AS5 break-n period, we'll see.
    I may try to replace the pwm fan with the 92CFM see if that help, not today though.
    Can't use my PI memory either unless I put the fan below.

I connected one of the intakes to power fan and the othe sysfan2, the one connected to power fan rotate at 2300rpm,
    but the other only 1500, strange.

Seeking for lower CPU temps I came acrosss Peltier (TEC) Modules, has anyone tried using them?

They're generally not worth it. There have been many attempts, both with air cooling and with water cooling but none have really caught on, there were always better solutions available without the peltier.
    If you look at the forum of xtreme systems you'll see that almost no one is using them, and that about sums it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020 View Post
    there were always better solutions available without the peltier.
    What are they then, with the restriction that I am not going to use water cooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickel020
    If you look at the forum of xtreme systems you'll see that almost no one is using them, and that about sums it up.
    This implies that some do, that must mean something too.
    I only have E7200 not a Core i7 heat chamber, if it can help me reduce 10c in the hot summer days, with the Mugen 2, it is fine with me.

Thanks for the reply

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    What are they then, with the restriction that I am not going to use water cooling.
    By this I meant that youre better off using just a Mugen instead off a Mugen fitted with a peltier. There's one Cooler Master heatsink that has a peltier built in and although it's decent it doesn't beat the other top heatsinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    This implies that some do, that must mean something too.
    I only have E7200 not a Core i7 heat chamber, if it can help me reduce 10c in the hot summer days, with the Mugen 2, it is fine with me.

Thanks for the reply
    The very few that do use a peltier use it mainly for fun/tinkering. If there actually were a real benefit to be had from this people would be using this in scores. But no one has had good enough results with peltiers to convince other people to start using one.

I think the reason why peltiers aren't so good in PCs is that the CPU dies are very small and that the power consumption of the peltier is significant as well.

kick is offline Senior Member

Im just looking at the pics

ideas
    1. mount the cpu hs cooling fan pointing straight up blowing towards psu.
    Im not saying it would be better its just an idea to test.
    2.get a 120mm blowing over the memory and mch/northbridge heatsink.perhaps angled,perhaps not.
    3.the sys 2 fan speed works approximately off the system temp.I think its designed as the main intake fan header or possibly for a nthbridge/sthbridge/memory cooling fan.
    A fan connected to sys fan 2 or cpu fan header will vary with temp.
    A fan connected to sys fan 1 or power fan header should run full fan speed.

I have 2x 120 mm intake fans one has a max(internally limited) speed of 1400 rpm and the other has a max speed of 1700 rpm approx.the 1700 rpm one has a much higher air thruput as standard,but its noisier.
    Anyway if i connect the 1400 rpm one to sys 2 header it wont go much above 800 rpm depending on sys temp. If i connect the 1700 rpm one it wont go much above 1200 rpm.
    connecting either to the pwr fan header will see them running at max speed.
    Get one of those pci slot 90 mm fans that vent directly out thru the pci slot..theyre cheap like $10 or less,you can run it off a spare molex connectormy one sucks out a lot of hot air,,tested using the amazing hand over the fan vent method.

thas all I can think of.
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post
    Im just looking at the pics

ideas
    1. mount the cpu hs cooling fan pointing straight up blowing towards psu.
    LOL nice catch, I probably did it messing with the DIMMs because I am sure it was mounted properly the first time I mounted it, i was very careful.
    I already replaced it with a 93CFM noisy fan (this is only ~70) which redued 1c from CPU and about 2c from system temp, and also the case top where the PSU is is cooler now too.
    I have front and side intakes ~30CFM each, and ~70CFMback exhust. The side is blowinf directly on the GFX and NB but thouse are not my problem, it's the 30-31c+ ambiant I have.
    The temp of exhusted air is about ambiant+2c.
    You can see all temps dropping when it gets cooler at night (29-28c YAY!)

EDIT: oops i hade a mistake there, the fan is mounted as reccomended by Scythe, thought you commented about the airflow direction (it was against normal airflow towords the back.)
    Last edited by Chike; 07-28-2009 at 07:53 AM.

kick is offline Senior Member

hah no i didnt see it was reversed..ow 30C room temp.
    It gets to 28 here on a very bad day, 30 + for using a pc must be nasty.
    I mean id be running standard/underclocking just so there wouldnt be any more heat around.
    Maybe its not so bad if youre used to it
    Current Systems:

Asrock p67 Extreme6.............. Gigabyte EP-45 UD3 ...................... Gigabyte 73 PVM S2
    Intel i5 2500k 4.8ghz................ Intel Q8400 3.8ghz......................... Intel D820 2.8ghz
    Zalman 10x cooler.................... Coolermaster V8............................ HP cooler
    8GB Gskill ripjaw ddr3.............. 4GB Gskill PI ddr2.......................... 4GB samsung ddr2
    60GB ssd/500GB HDD .............. WD 1TB hdd.................................... Seagate 160GB hdd
    GTX 460 1GB x2 SLI ................. Msi 9600GT 512MB(died) ........... Onboard gx
    Win7 64 ,750w psu(ocz)............ Win7 64 ,520w psu,seasonic...... Win XP pro ,400w psu

HEC 6A34 case . ....................... Jeantec R2 case............................ Packard Bell case

hoping to upgrade to http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/habicase.shtml
    http://www.flixya.com/video/140325/Animal-launching

Quote Originally Posted by kick View Post

hah no i didnt see it was reversed..ow 30C room temp.
    It gets to 28 here on a very bad day, 30 + for using a pc must be nasty.
    I mean id be running standard/underclocking just so there wouldnt be any more heat around.
    Maybe its not so bad if youre used to it
    LOL I am not used to it but gotta live with it, if I turn the fan off for a minutes and my skin starts leaking.
    The computer does not seem care about humiduty though, same temps in dry/humid days.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information