Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: EX58-UD5 stability issues

Default Re: EX58-UD5 stability issues

Koops, I really wonder if your symptom is exactly like mine or just similar.
    When youve had it setup where you have the OS on the raid and it freezes, do you find that playing music and video cause it to freeze faster during uptime then compared to not doing so.
    Please check for me, because Im absolutely certain when I had this problem (not using the raid now but want to) music and video would cause the system lockup to occur much faster. (as in allways within the period of like 6 hours of playback.)

And to just clarify on the symptom:
    My keyboard would still work, including the LEDs for the Num/Caps/Scroll.
    My curosor/mouse would still work.
    All processes would stop responding, maybe not immediately, like task manager could still come up once or twice, but all processes would lockup and stop working, forcing me to hard restart because when the problem would arise for me, it was impossable to shutdown the system quickly enough.

Let me know if your freeze symptoms are the same or different, if you have a different method or have found doing different things expose the symptom.

My mobo's within a year, If this problem is board specific and affecting us both, I will try to get mine changed to an X58A through Gigabyte (Australia).
    Gaming: GIGABYTE X58-UD5 - i7 920 C0 - Noctua NH-U12P - 6GB OCZ Platinum PC3-10666 CL7 - Sapphire HD5870 - Antec P182 - TruePower Trio 650w - 3 Acer X243HB in Eyefinity - 2 x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - MS Digital Media KB - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Server: - HP Proliant MicroServer N36L - 4GB Team 1333 CL9 - 1x 160 2.5 5400RPM - 2x 500GB ST3500320AS 7200.11, SD1A - 1x 250GB ST3500320AS 7200.12 - 1x 1.5TB ST3500320AS 7200.12

HTPC1
    : GIGABYTE EP45-UD3L - E7600 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 8500GT - Antec Fusion - Microsoft Comfort Wireless / Logitech MX1000 bt - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC2
    : GIGABYTE 945GCMX-S2 - E6320 - 2GB Corsair DHX 800 C5 - GIGABYTE 7600GT - Antec Fusion - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

HTPC3:
    GIGABYTE P35-DS4 - E6750 - 4GB OCZ System Elite 800 - GIGABYTE 8800GTX - TT Shark - Earthwatts 500w - DeNovo Mini - Windows 7 Ultimate x64

From your description Qwerty, our problems are probably different. I don't ever play music or videos for 6 hours straight so I can't really test that.

My pc totally locks up hard. And in a predictable in time frame ... exactly between 26-27 hours of uptime.

I can still see the windows desktop (and my Everest OSD with all the last details on screen temps, cpu utilisation, date/time etc).

No mouse cursor movement. No keyboard response (ie. caps lock/num lock lights do anything , but its a usb keyboard so perhaps PS2 ones are different). The machine however hasn't crashed in the normal technical sense. No BSOD. No forced reboot. Just a pure hang. As if someone had pressed a magic pause button.

Time has stopped for everything in my pc with the exception of fans, hd platters and electrons still whizzing around ;)

Incidently my windows 7 [ver 6.1.7600] install is currently upto a record breaking 53 ... make that now 100 hours of uptime. I'll have to check and see what raid drivers it is using to see if there is any difference there.

edit: just checked and windows 7 is using Raid driver 8.9.0.1023. The same version that xp was using.
    Last edited by Koops; 09-05-2009 at 08:40 AM.
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 F9a Bios
    Intel i7 920 D0
    Corsair TX 750 PSU
    Corsair 6 Sticks of TR3X3G1600C9
    2 x Albatron 8800GT. Zalman coolers. Iandh heatsinks
    1 x ATI 5870
    2 x 30GB OCZ Core v2 SSD Raid 0 running from ICH10R controller (OS Drive). Data Drives - 2 x 320G WD, 2 x 750 Samsung, 1 x 500gb WD, 4 x samsung 1.5TB eco raid 5, 1 x ocz summit 60gb
    Windows 7 64bit

I'm having similar issues with stability.

Some random blue screens (usually at reboot) and some random lockups. The main difference is that my RAID is for data not for the OS.

Config:
    EX58-UD5 F7 bios
    I7 920
    Win7 x64 Professional (clean install of retail upgrade)
    12GB (6x2) Corsair dominator (1600 with XMS in bios)
    Gigabyte (NVIDIA) 9600GT
    Corsair 750 Watt PSU
    OS is NOT on a RAID (but is on the ICH10R controller) WD500AKS (blue)
    RAID 10 for data (also on the ICH10R controller) 4 Samsung 500GB drives
    Sony/Optiarc DVD R/RW (also on the ICH10R)

The JMicron controller is active but nothing is currently on it. I use it for the external case connection. I may move the optical drive to the JMicron. The only reason it's not there already is that I wasn't able to install win7 from it when it was on the JMicron controller.

I have other PCs running win7 x64 one older 939 ultra with the OS on a RAID 1 using the JMicron controller. One GA-P35-DS4 with only data on a raid 1 using the built in Intel controller. Both very stable.

I bought the EX58-UD5 because it's been out for a while and I thought the bugs would be worked out by now.

If anyone has solved their issues, let us know what worked for you.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Can you tell me what drives you have connected to what SATA labeled Ports on the Intel controller? You should have your OS Drive on SATA2_0, and your CD/DVD drive on SATA2_5, your RAID can be on any between there

12GB is going to need to be manually setup most likely, are yu configuring the BIOS yourself or using all Auto?

I do suggest you update your BIOS, F7 is fairly old. This may resolve some issues for you, but just not sure other than BSOD's what you real issues are. If you are using all Auto for settings in the BIOS this could be a large part of the problem.

I can help for sure with BIOS settings, if you think you may need help with those please grab a template from my signature and give me your current full BIOS settings. Or after you have updated the BIOS and tried things again.

Latest BIOS is here, F9i, but a new BIOS should be out in a few days I think that resolves some CPU multiplier issues. Your CPU would not be affected by this though
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/

Be sure to read this if you are unsure about how to update the BIOS with RAID Enabled >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 11-25-2009 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    Can you tell me what drives you have connected to what SATA labeled Ports on the Intel controller?
    The OS drive (The WD500AKS) is on SATA2_0. The 4 Samsung 500GB drives are on SATA2_1 - SATA2_4. The Sony DVD is on SATA2_5.

12GB is going to need to be manually setup most likely
    I'm set up in auto except for using the XMP settings for the memory which changes the speed to 1600. The voltage is supposed to go to 1.65v but I'm not sure if it really changes that parameter. Short memory tests have passed.

I do suggest you update your BIOS, F7 is fairly old.
    Updated to F9e last night and still got a blue screen after a short time.

I can help for sure with BIOS settings, if you think you may need help with those please grab a template from my signature and give me your current full BIOS settings. Or after you have updated the BIOS and tried things again.
    Thank, I will do that later today

Latest BIOS is here, F9i
    Thanks for the link. I load that one soon.

Be sure to read this if you are unsure about how to update the BIOS with RAID Enabled >>
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
    Thanks, I'll take a look before I load the next BIOS version.

@Lsdmeasap

I did an extensive memory test today (the built in one from windows7 that starts at boot). All ran fine (no problems).

I decided to put the memory settings back to the default settings (non XMP profile) and things seem much more stable now. I've been running for several hours without a problem.

My thoughts are that the XMP profile for my memory (two sets of corsair TR3X6G1600C8D) change the memory speed to 1600 and say the voltage is 1.65V but the other settings still show DDR voltage at 1.5v.
    Maybe I should push those other settings up too.
    I want to fill out your BIOS template, but I'm not sure how to cut and paste from the insert in your post.

disable xmp and set memory multiplier to give you 1600mhz speed and set ram voltage to 1.66 in the bios it will actually use 1.64v but you need to set it to 1.66 it wont be stable a 1.5v
    Gigabyte z77x UP4-TH F11c Modded Bios
    Intel i7 3770k 24/7@4.8ghz 1.38v Turbo llc +0.165v dvid multithreading enabled
    Samsung Green(MV-3V4G3D/US) 8GB @2133mhz 9-10-10-21-1t 1.55v
    Thermalright Silver Arrow Cpu Cooler
    1xSamsung 840 pro 256 Gb SSD windows 8.1 pro 64bit
    1xSamsung f4 HD204UI 2tb hard drive Storage
    Powercolor 7970 3gb V3 @1150mhz core/1700mhz mem,1.150v Accelero aftermarket air cooler 55c max
    Razer Lycosa Keyboard
    Logitech X-530 5.1 Speakers
    Lite-On iHAS124-19 24x Sata DVDRW
    K-World Hybrid DVB-T 210SE Digital T.V Card
    L.G E2260V L.E.D 1920x1080 Monitor
    Xfx Pro 750w silver rated Psu 80+
    Fractal Arc Midi Case

http://i38.tinypic.com/14myvfa.jpg x58 ud5 <=3.8ghz + 4.2ghz Overclock Template!!
    http://www.youtube.com/user/warren304#p/u Visit Me On Youtube

Lots Of Gaming Videos With X58 Ud5 System And Gpu On My Youtube Channel!!
    Just Uploaded New Battlefield 4 Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks, I will try it.

So am I correct that using the XMP profile does not adjust the voltage automatically? It seems that would be an oversite.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya with 12GB the XMP settings may be wrong anyway as they are meant for one kit not two. I disagree with the XMP Design process anyway, as no set standard setting can be correct for all CPU's. I am mostly talking QPI/Vtt here as this is the part I do not think should be included in the settings, all users will need to find out what their CPU likes/needs in regards to this and ram voltages.

I can help you with full settings if you like, if so get a template from my signature and give me your current full settings and I will advise back.

With 12GB you are going to need to set your own voltages for QPI/Vtt (With any amount of ram this is advised), IOH, QPI PLL, Ram voltage. And you may need 1.68-1.7 for 12GB depending on what you set for Uncore, QPI Speed, and ram timings.

Ya with 12GB the XMP settings may be wrong anyway as they are meant for one kit not two. I disagree with the XMP Design process anyway, as no set standard setting can be correct for all CPU's. I am mostly talking QPI/Vtt here as this is the part I do not think should be included in the settings, all users will need to find out what their CPU likes/needs in regards to this and ram voltages.

I can help you with full settings if you like, if so get a template from my signature and give me your current full settings and I will advise back.

With 12GB you are going to need to set your own voltages for QPI/Vtt (With any amount of ram this is advised), IOH, QPI PLL, Ram voltage. And you may need 1.68-1.7 for 12GB depending on what you set for Uncore, QPI Speed, and ram timings.
    Thanks. Right now the machine is stable without the XMP settings (no overclocking at all). So it seems clear that it is not related to any RAID issues. I should problably leave this thread now and continue somewhere else.

I would like to use your BIOS template but I'm not sure how to get it all from the format you have in the post linked from your signature. Where should I send the information to?

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread Information