Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: EX58-UD5 stability issues

Default EX58-UD5 stability issues

*UPDATE - 6th Sept 2009* Seemed to be solved (or more correctly doesn't occur for me in Windows 7 build 7600). So solved "in a way" for me. However it still occurs if I used windows xp. Root cause still remains unknown.

*Original post continues below*
    I'm having some very bad stability issues with my UD5.

It's normally left powered on and working 24x7.

Currently this system is unable to run for more than 12 hours continuously before it locks up. Very frustrating. The system boots and runs fine otherwise.

Just wondering if any gurus here have any advise on solving this as im almost at my wits end.

Specs

• ex-ud5 F8b (yes i realise there is a new bios [f8e] going to try this today but I dont have much hope)
    • 1 x i7 c0 920 (default speeds no overclock)
    • 1 x thermaltake ultra-120
    • 2 x 8800GT's (from previous system + zalman coolers)
    • 3 x 1600mhz Corsair ram sticks (CM3x1g1600C9 - 1066 mode)
    • 1 x dominator ram cooler fans
    • 2 x ocz core v2's raid 0
    • 1 x neo-he 550w power supply ( http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp - says 373w for everything in my machine)
    • 1 x pci-e x-fi titanium soundcard
    • windows xp sp3
    • 1 x old compaq server UPS (power filtering and battery pack)

Issues

• Random windows hangs. Can either be at the desktop or in a game. (note: no graphics corruption before hand however which would indicate a gfx card issue.)
    • If it locks up at desktop I can still see the desktop I just cant interact (non moving mouse) nor is the system accessible via the network (file shares, vnc remote desktop etc). USB devices are still powered on.
    • If it locks up in a game I get repeating sounds.
    • I am not sure if this is related but as I've upgraded to the later bios i've found that the time window between lockup's is shorter. ie. F6b provided longer uptime than F8b (ie. 1-2 days vs 12 hours)

What i've tried

• Upgrading bios ( reset to optimal defaults everytime )
    • memtester (passed)
    • a few hours of prime95 (havn't run a 24 hour one but im tipping it would lock up)
    • Single gpu's. In different pci-e slots.
    • Slow ram timing (f8b doesn't seem to honor the 1066 SPD settings on the ram itself! So has to be set manually. See screenshot below)
    • Checked windows event viewer for hardware errors (none found)
    • a different motherboard/ram/cpu combo with all the other existing hardware gfx/hdd's etc.(note: this was my old an8-sli board, I don't have another i7 & ram to test on this UD5 board)
    • Checked for malware and virus's (claims to be clean)
    • Run machine with case sides off (just in case some small piece of hardware was overheating) [no change]
    • After a lockup everest OSD temps prior to lock up doesn't show any high temps (has occured when machine is technically idle with very low temps also)
    • running the memory with the xms corsair profile with manual settings in bios (9-9-9-24-2T 1.65v)

Ideas?

Is there something simple here with ram timing's im missing that is making the system unstable?

Is there any other way to diagnose these sort of lockup issues?

Last edited by Koops; 09-06-2009 at 11:48 AM.
    Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD5 F9a Bios
    Intel i7 920 D0
    Corsair TX 750 PSU
    Corsair 6 Sticks of TR3X3G1600C9
    2 x Albatron 8800GT. Zalman coolers. Iandh heatsinks
    1 x ATI 5870
    2 x 30GB OCZ Core v2 SSD Raid 0 running from ICH10R controller (OS Drive). Data Drives - 2 x 320G WD, 2 x 750 Samsung, 1 x 500gb WD, 4 x samsung 1.5TB eco raid 5, 1 x ocz summit 60gb
    Windows 7 64bit

Default Re: EX58-UD5 stability issues

since I originally posted I've had the following hangs

Sunday 12:45pm
    Sunday 7:39pm
    UPGRADE to F8E bios After the last hang.
    Tuesday 8am
    Thursday 1:40pm
    Friday 5:56pm

I replaced the power supply with a corsair TX750 on the Thurday night ... still getting crashes with a new ps! grrr
    Intel i7 920 D0
    Corsair TX 750 PSU
    1 x ATI 5870
    2 x 30GB OCZ Core v2 SSD Raid 0 running from ICH10R controller (OS Drive). Data Drives - 2 x 320G WD, 2 x 750 Samsung, 1 x 500gb WD, 4 x samsung 1.5TB eco raid 5, 1 x ocz summit 60gb
    Windows 7 64bit

ya know... sometimes it happens that you get a bad product. it happened with me and my senheisser headphones which sounded like the craps and when i took it back they just gave me new ones which sound amazing... id hate to suggest that maybe your mobo is faulty. looks like youre running at stock speeds so it shouldnt be crashing. i have the ud5 as well and i love it runs great for me. id say take it back and get them to test it. i dunno somethings not right. aarrggg i feel for ya bud

Damn. Last resort has to be RMA'ing the board as i will be without a pc for around a month then :|

Will try swapping memory modules around running extended memory testing and see if that helps any.
    Intel i7 920 D0
    Corsair TX 750 PSU
    1 x ATI 5870
    Windows 7 64bit

g'mornin doood...
    well im sitting here havin my coffee and thought id fart around with that power supply calculator cuz with your high end system being like mine i have a gut feeling that 550w isnt enough juice. Im worried that my 1000w isnt enough hahahahaha...
    anyway i plug in some numbers for what you have 3 sticks ddr3 ram, high end mobo, your 8800 sli, the 920 and thats as far as i got and it came up 590 watts.

Scotty!! We HAVE to get more POWER to the warp CORE!!!
    btw im not a guru by any means
    i recommend signing up to PureOverclock Forums - Powered by vBulletin and ask them
    lots of great friendly geeks on there who know their stuff
    have a grrrrreat day dood and gl
    too early for a ??
    Last edited by jayfunk; 07-20-2009 at 08:38 PM.
    Core i7 965, Gigabyte ex58-ud5, Gtx280sli, 6 gig Corsair 1600 Ram, 1000w Silverstone, windows 7, Antec 1200 + Coolit Boreas

last night i was playing Call of Duty5 and suddenly my computer crashed. the screen went black and it shut off. but the scary thing was that when i pressed the power button nothing happened!!!!! i went to the back and unplugged the power supply and i noticed that the cord and plug felt hot and around the bottom of the case felt hot too!! i left it unplugged last night and then now today it started up ok. what the hell!! scared the craps out of me couldnt sleep at all....
    what would cause the power button not to work?
    do i need more than 1000 watts? i dont think so
    is it my overclock? 133x30=4, turbo and ht on, vcore=1.3875, qpivtt=1.355, dram=1.5 dont think so
    it was hot in here maybe power supply got too hot after all day use
    any other ideas?
    Last edited by jayfunk; 07-20-2009 at 09:00 PM.
    Core i7 965, Gigabyte ex58-ud5, Gtx280sli, 6 gig Corsair 1600 Ram, 1000w Silverstone, windows 7, Antec 1200 + Coolit Boreas

Could be the PSU is about to die - watch that heat very carefully.
    i7 920 DO @ 4410 210*21 Watercooled
    Gigabyte GA-Ex58 ud4p
    3X2gb Mushkin DDR3 1600
    2x4870 1GB Ati Crossfire.
    Intel X-25M SSD OS drive
    G.Skill Titan 128gb SSD X2 RAID 0 Data
    Corsair HX850 PSU
    Windows 7 x64 7600

Hi Koops.
    I suggest you try these bios settings for better stability:
    Set the XMP profile to 1600, Turn off Turbo boost, Set the Peformance enhance to Standard (to stop over volting).

If the symptom your gettings is kind of like all of the Windows processes are halting/just all stop responding, it may be your raid array, I personally cannot use an OS on my raid on my UD5, because of some odd unknown instability it causes. (tried all bioses, not using low wattage disks either.)
    In this case, try running your OS of a single disk, you might find the problem goes away instantly.

Anyway, just sharing, you can give those a try.

If you dont have XMP profile selection (though cpu-z seems to show u do) then you can go about manually setting up your ram in your bios.
    the settings would be something like this:

M.I.T:
    CPU Clock ratio = 20
    Advanced CPU Features:
    CPU Clock ratio = 20
    Turbo = Disabled
    Cores Enabled = All
    Multi-Threading = Enabled
    Advanced halt [C1E] = Disabled (can be enabled, but stops chokes noise)
    C3/C6/C7: Disabled (same, can be enabled)
    Thermal monitor = Disabled (by default)
    CPU EIST Function = Disabled
    Virtualisation = Enabled
    BI-Directional PROCHOT = Enabled

(back to main M.I.T Page)
    QPI Link Speed = Auto (4.8Ghz)

UnCore/QPI Features:
    QPI Link Speed = Auto (4.8Ghz)
    UnCore Frequency = 24
    Isochronous Support = Enabled

(back to main M.I.T Page)
    Base Clock Frequency (BCLK) Control = Enabled
    Frequency = 133
    (dont touch the Advanced Clock control page)

Peformance enhance = Standard
    System Memory Multiplier = 12

DRAM Timing Selectable (SPD)
    CAS = 9
    TRCD = 9
    TRP = 9
    TRAS = 24
    Command rate CMD = 2
    I could go on and on, but thats more then enough, hope you get your system stable :)
    Last edited by qwertylesh; 07-21-2009 at 10:37 AM.

Thanks Qwerty, I think I have most of those settings set already. I had multi-threading disabled (TF2 runs better without it).

non-raid, I hadn't tried because its a stripe 0 of ssd's. (ssd's purely used to speed). It could be that there is a bug with the raid controllers causing the OS to lock up.

I'll mirror the disk to an older ide drive and not use the sata stripe.

As I type this my machine is just passing the 32 hour memory test mark without any errors.
    Intel i7 920 D0
    Corsair TX 750 PSU
    1 x ATI 5870
    Windows 7 64bit

Theres certainly a bug with my UD5 running any os of the intergrated intel raid controller (running it from an array)

(4x 500gb seagates 7200.11 SD1a)
    my painful list of os's goes like this:
    Raid0+1: Windows 7 Beta 64 bit (locks up)
    Raid0+1: Windows Ult 32bit (locks up)
    ATA Ide 320GB: Windows Ult 32bit (problem gone!) (raid still used as storage)
    Raid0+1: Windows ult 64bit (locks up)
    ATA Ide 320GB: Win ult 64bit (no lockup problem)
    raid demolished, now using all 500gb seagates as ATA non raid, and no problems.

Granted when i had windows 7 beta, i had my uncore set incorrectly (on auto)
    my ram is non XMP 6gb OCZ platinum 1333, so I had to set my uncore to 2.66ghz and my dram volt to 1.58 in order to run it stable (i have the 920 c0 cpu). I wont be going back to the intergrated raid, maybe as storage, but been burnt running an os from it too many times to consider it again.

Gigabyte online support actually helped me determine that it was the os on the array through their troubleshooting advice, initially i was worried i had a defective motherboard or hdd's, but not running an os on the raid and having the proper manual settings for my hardware shows it has no faults for either my mobo or disks :).

Also if it helps, I found with the problem I had (OS on raid array = unhappy) I could expose the system freeze symptom by playing music or video for a few hours. why the heck either of those would cause the problem more then other tasks on the system beats the heck out of me but thats how it was.
    Last edited by qwertylesh; 07-22-2009 at 07:56 PM.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information