Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't wake with USB wireless desktop or PS2 wired

Default Can't wake with USB wireless desktop or PS2 wired

I've built a new system with the EP45-UD3P Mobo
    BIOS EP45-UD3P FA
    G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500)
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz
    ATI visiontek Radeon HD4850 video card
    Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB
    Western Digital VelociRaptor WD1500HLFS 150GB
    XP Pro SP3 + all updates

I loaded the drivers from the Gigabyte CD, but I am having two problems.

1- I can't wake from standby mode. S3 or S4...Does the board support S4 (hibernate)?

I would like to use both a USB Logitech bluetooth mouse and the keyboard to wake the system, but both devices have a grayed-out check box in Power Management "Allow this device to bring the computer out of standby". When I transition into standby (3 or 4) mode, there isn't a way to wake up. I have messed-around with the BIOS settings until I'm blue-in-the-face, and now at a loss as what to try. I've replaced the Mouse & Keyboard with a PS2 version but no luck there either..... The mouse and keyboard 'Power Management' tab isn't there in Device Manager. I can't help but think there is something "out of wack" somewhere.

2- I can't always get audio from the Video card through the BUS from the Mobo's Realtek Audio Chip. This is a strange one, and probably needs asking elsewhere.

I don't have much in the way of any audio apps installed yet. I'm using Media Player to play some internet radio stations, seemingly just fine, but if I click on a dialog box...I get no system sounds. I go to Control Panel\Sounds and audio devices properties\ "Sounds Tab" and select a system event and click the Play icon and nothing happens. But now here's the kicker, if within 5 seconds I click it again...it plays...and will play every time I click it, as long as I don't stop clicking within that 5 second window. Just like an old well pump that looses it's prime.... if you quit pumping for too long, you run out of water. I also get the last second or two of the startup & shutdown wave's.

Under the Audio Tab I have these devices to choose from:

Realtek HD Audio output ...... don't work
    Realtek HDA HDMI Out ... from realtek.com ... works ... it replaces the catalyst driver below when installed.
    ATIHD Audio rear output .... comes with the catalyst software...don't work ... This is the one that is said to work with the video card.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank's much,
    Chris

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Can't wake with USB wireless desktop or PS2 wired

There should be Power On By Mouse/Keyboard in BIOS, maybe they should be eabled.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    There should be Power On By Mouse/Keyboard in BIOS, maybe they should be eabled.
    Both are enabled, mouse is set to "double click" - keyboard is set to "keyboard 98". I think the USB just quits working when it's in S3 or S4, because I get a "no connection" message on the keyboard LCD when pushing any key. I have the Device Manager box clear, "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". I've even tried a Powered Hub, but whenever the computer goes to standby, all the Hub's LED's go dark except the power LED. It's seems the computers USB port has power, because when I unplug the Hub's V-adapter, I still have the Hub power LED ON.

edit: Ctrl + F1 at the BIOS Main Screen gives an advanced option "enable USB wakeup" ...or something like that, it was enabled by default. Also tried to using the BIOS setting for "keyboard" to "wake up with password"....nada, still "no connection".

Thank You,
    Chris
    Last edited by ccrider2; 07-13-2009 at 12:12 AM. Reason: additional info

Chike is offline Senior Member

I have tested with your BIOS settings, PS2 keyboard and USB mouse.
    In XP I have no power options for neither of them (cheap keyboard, Microsof wheel mouse also the cheapest I could find.)
    Put it to standbye, S3, Hibernate is cleared in XP Power Options control Panel.
    The mouse didn't work, I tried Enable Mouse Function, but still doesn't work.
    Keyboard LEDs are off, but it did wake up the the computer when I pressed the power key (a circle with vertical line crossing it's top,) the only key that would wake it up.

MadMax2911 is offline Member

Hi Guy You said you have the BIOS version in your post
    Code:
    BIOS EP45-UD3P FA
    What BIOS version is it ???
    Updated BIOS versions help fix the wake from sleep problems. Also the drivers on the CD from the manufacturer are good but there sre usually updated versions available on the manufacturers website here -> http://www.gigabyte.us/

Madmax out'
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 07-13-2009 at 01:15 AM. Reason: add info
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax2911 View Post
    Hi Guy You said you have the BIOS version in your post
    Code:
    BIOS EP45-UD3P FA
    What BIOS version is it ???
    Updated BIOS versions help fix the wake from sleep problems. Also the drivers on the CD from the manufacturer are good but there sre usually updated versions available on the manufacturers website here -> GIGABYTE - Upgrade Your Life

Madmax out'
    Well, If I'm looking at the right spot on the screen, left side...3 lines down...that's what it looks like. I'm viewing this on a 60" screen, so POST screens are a little rough looking. I guess I mis-stated the BIOS a bit, the 'EP45-UD3P' is actually the Mobo number, and the BIOS is 'FA'.

But that brings up an interesting dilemma ... The manual shows a POST screen with a BIOS Version of 'FAa' ...... How could the manual reflect an even newer version than in the board now?

I used Gigabyt's updater, and it said the BIOS update was "Coming Soon!", so I assumed I had the latest. It was the same with the drivers...showed no newer ones available for download. If I remember, that was the Taiwan site. I just checked the US link you gave me and it shows two downloads: for rev. 1.0 and rev. 1.1 ... mine is rev. 1.6, so I guess early adopters are out of luck eh.

Thanks for the response,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by ccrider2 View Post
    Well, If I'm looking at the right spot on the screen, left side...3 lines down...that's what it looks like. I'm viewing this on a 60" screen, so POST screens are a little rough looking. I guess I mis-stated the BIOS a bit, the 'EP45-UD3P' is actually the Mobo number, and the BIOS is 'FA'.

But that brings up an interesting dilemma ... The manual shows a POST screen with a BIOS Version of 'FAa' ...... How could the manual reflect an even newer version than in the board now?

I used Gigabyt's updater, and it said the BIOS update was "Coming Soon!", so I assumed I had the latest. It was the same with the drivers...showed no newer ones available for download. If I remember, that was the Taiwan site. I just checked the US link you gave me and it shows two downloads: for rev. 1.0 and rev. 1.1 ... mine is rev. 1.6, so I guess early adopters are out of luck eh.

Thanks for the response,
    Chris
    I searched the giabyte site and found a BIOS update for you to FB.
    However, there is a bit of risk when updating your BIOS and if the update fixes something that you want fixed then you should "go for it". The link is here for the update GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.6)
    There is also a sticky in the main part of this section that lists BIOS updates
    (EDIT) but I did not see your board's BIOS version 1.6 listed as it just lists the EP45-UD3P board and there is a F10b BIOS update??? I wonder how you know if its for you?
    .........just look here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/
    Also there is a BIOS updating guide in this forum maybe its a stiky in main section to or you can search for it. i found it here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
    Also, how are you connecting the USB device ? back of mobo or to another device hooked to the mobo usb main connection (inside connection to mobo)?? I had a bad plug one time and the wires must have been crossed or something. The board heated up really fast and smelled of burning plastic (really scared me ). Let me know what s happening
    Answering your later questions yes there is a update for your 1.6 REV board. However I cannot garantee it will fix your particular problem. It lists a fix there but I forgot what it was.
    Edit Seems I remember that on my earlier board there were two usb plugins on the inside direct to the mobo one yellow and one green. one provided power all the time to usb device and other shut of when the mobo did so no power means no wake from off and maybe no wake from sleep?? also check your settings in BIOS for usb I think someone said that if you have legacy usb setting enabled then you have trouble with wake function try that before BIOS update. :)
    PS... this link is what i was talking about at first. The EP45-DS3R boards had a problem resuming from sleep with Vista see this link
    http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/M...ProductID=2842
    maybe there will be a BIOS update to fix your problem later on down the road??
    EDITED INFOR ABOVE
    max out
    Last edited by MadMax2911; 07-14-2009 at 12:00 PM. Reason: other thoughts
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Quote Originally Posted by MadMax2911 View Post
    I searched the giabyte site and found a BIOS update for you to FB.
    However, there is a bit of risk when updating your BIOS and if the update fixes something that you want fixed then you should "go for it". The link is here for the update GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP45-UD3P (rev. 1.6)
    There is also a sticky in the main part of this section that lists BIOS updates
    (EDIT) but I did not see your board's BIOS version 1.6 listed as it just lists the EP45-UD3P board and there is a F10b BIOS update??? I wonder how you know if its for you?
    .........just look here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/giga...st-bios-28441/
    Also there is a BIOS updating guide in this forum maybe its a stiky in main section to or you can search for it. i found it here
    http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/bios...h-guide-27576/
    Also, how are you connecting the USB device ? back of mobo or to another device hooked to the mobo usb main connection (inside connection to mobo)?? I had a bad plug one time and the wires must have been crossed or something. The board heated up really fast and smelled of burning plastic (really scared me ). Let me know what s happening
    Answering your later questions yes there is a update for your 1.6 REV board. However I cannot garantee it will fix your particular problem. It lists a fix there but I forgot what it was.
    Edit Seems I remember that on my earlier board there were two usb plugins on the inside direct to the mobo one yellow and one green. one provided power all the time to usb device and other shut of when the mobo did so no power means no wake from off and maybe no wake from sleep?? also check your settings in BIOS for usb I think someone said that if you have legacy usb setting enabled then you have trouble with wake function try that before BIOS update. :)
    PS... this link is what i was talking about at first. The EP45-DS3R boards had a problem resuming from sleep with Vista see this link
    GIGABYTE - Support&Download - Motherboard - BIOS - GA-EP45-DS3R (rev. 1.0)
    maybe there will be a BIOS update to fix your problem later on down the road??
    EDITED INFOR ABOVE
    max out
    Yes, I ran across the rev 1.6 BIOS that just appeared on the Gigabyte site, but it says it's for a "bitlocker" problem. I think that's a Vista thing ...I'm running XP. I assume that's all it fixes, perhaps they only fix one problem at a time. I sent an email to their Taiwan "ask a Question" Tech site 2 or 3 days ago.

GIGABYTE GTS

But according to the "answer site", they haven't read it yet.

Thanks for the heads up to the "BIOS Updating Guide" ....will come in handy...soon I hope.
    I'll probably wait-out a BIOS that says will fix my problem, I assume they would state such... In the meantime, I'll subscribe to the BIOS thread and keep an eye on it. It would help matters a bit if posters would mention their mobo & rev number when talking BIOS updates.... It's hard to tell which one is for my board, without going to the BIOS download site. I found several mentions of my board number, all with different BIOS numbers than mine. But without the rev number...who knows. :)

I am connecting the Logitech USB Bluetooth receiver device to the back of mobo, I've also had it connected via a HUB hooked to the back. I have 2 orange inside connectors on the mobo, which I haven't tried yet. One is marked "PANEL" (I assume front panel, at least that's where I have it wired), and the other is marked "USB 2".

I do have the legacy keyboard & mouse usb setting enabled, I'm sure I tried with them disabled (defaults).... I'll try it again to be sure.

Thanks for Your Efforts,
    Chris
    Last edited by ccrider2; 07-15-2009 at 07:45 AM.

Just an FYI on my USB wake-up problem.

In the registry at:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Servic es\ .....ignore the odd space...got me

I was told to right click on Services and add a new key named "usb" ... if it's not already there.
    Then
    Right click on "usb" and choose New ... DWORD Value .... give it the name of "USBBIOSx" press enter.

The data on the right side of the "usb" key should then look like this:

(Default) REG_SZ (value not set)
    USBBIOSx REG_DWORD 0x00000000 (0)

Then reboot

Doing this gave me access to the box on the Powermanagement Tab for the keyboard & mouse, "to allow this device to bring the computer out of standby".

Why Microsoft couldn't have done this during the install....I have no idea. Perhaps they no longer make USB mice or keyboards.

There was a warning there not to use:
    "USBBIOSHACKS"=dword:00000000 that was also recommended there and elsewhere.

Anyway, it wakes-up now ... 1 down and one to go.

PS. I got this info from The Green Button.

The Green Button - How to undo XP MCE USB IR Remote S3 BIOS Reg Hack?

For your information the setting I was referring to earlier was the Legacy USB storage detect setting in the BIOS. Sorry for the misunderstanding. Its mentioned in several posts here is and example http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/3-6g...p-q6600-32446/
    I cant find the post that warned of problems with the setting in certain situations but my advise remains choose disabled first then if something requires it then enable (like boot to USB device).
    Max out

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information