Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GA P35 DS3R Revision 1 problems

Default GA P35 DS3R Revision 1 problems

Hello, first time post here I hope I am putting this thread in the right spot,

I have a really annoying problem atm, My bios is not recognising my cd/dvd rom drive, nor is it recognising 2 of my 3 drives. I cannot get xp to see any of them either which has made the last 4 days very frustrating.

my machine was ok last week and then turned it on and it not going very well in deed, i have managed to install xp again on one of the drives, leaving 2 others "dead" if i swap the sata cables around the other drives cant be found either. If i have 2 plugged in windows wont boot, if i keep the installed drive connected and no others it boots fine. I have tried swapping cables around and done everything that i can try and nothing is going well for me. can anyone please help

Chike is offline Senior Member

Default Re: GA P35 DS3R Revision 1 problems

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy0 View Post
    If i have 2 plugged in windows wont boo
    How do you mean? what message do you see on screen, how far it will reboot?
    Have you build it youself?

MadMax2911 is offline Member

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy0 View Post
    Hello, first time post here I hope I am putting this thread in the right spot,

I have a really annoying problem atm, My bios is not recognising my cd/dvd rom drive, nor is it recognising 2 of my 3 drives. I cannot get xp to see any of them either which has made the last 4 days very frustrating.

my machine was ok last week and then turned it on and it not going very well in deed, i have managed to install xp again on one of the drives, leaving 2 others "dead" if i swap the sata cables around the other drives cant be found either. If i have 2 plugged in windows wont boot, if i keep the installed drive connected and no others it boots fine. I have tried swapping cables around and done everything that i can try and nothing is going well for me. can anyone please help
    I would check your BIOS settings(check for AHCI mode disabled-this will cause drives not to be seen).
    Another thought would be listing the make and model numbers of your CD/DVD drives and your hard drives using a program like Belarc advisor which you can DL for here ->> Belarc Advisor - Free Personal PC Audit
    You may need to allow popups or allow it to run in your browser and allow it to update itself too then it should run. you can get a screen shot and post that or copy and paste ur information in the post for all us teckies to see. :)
    madmax out
    BUILD #2 GA-EP45-DS3R [Rev1.0] BIOS Flashed F11e, CPU=INTEL Core2 Quad Q8200 Yorkfield-4M LGA 775 with Mugen2 cooler RAM= Mushkin 996599 link 2 x 2GB, Hard drive=WD 6400AAKS, DVD=HP dvd1160i OS=Win 7 SP1 64 bit Video=BFG 8800GTS OC edition CASE=Thermaltake Tsunami Dream P.S.=Antec TP3-650

Build #3 GA-EP45-UD3LR__rev 1.0__ BIOS F11, CPU Core2 Duo E8400 3.157GHz WMugen2 Cooler, Power Supply: Antec EA-500D 500 W, RAM: Corsair 2 GB Hard Drive: WD 160 GB OS: Win XP SP3 Video: MSI GTS450 2GB

Hello thank you for replying

first off i turned off the AHCI i can now see my cd drive

I built this machine 2 yrs ago.
    I tried to make a raid out of the 2 250 gig drives when i did this the wd500 was not connected to the mother board.

the raid failed to be made, so i replaced the wd 500 to the motherboard to use as the c drive, and it would not and still will not show.

I had updated the bios to version f13d

is there a controller or something along those lines for the sata connectors?

MOBO: GA P35 DS3R Revision 1
    Hrd drives: current C drive WD2500JD
    Seagate Barracuda 250 P/N 9BJ13E-305
    WD 5000AAKS

Lite On DVD CD Rewriteable - SHM-165H6S04C

I am also wanting to install Ubuntu on this system, I wish to change from XP. Will I need to get these drives working correctly and make sure that the bios and motherboard is workign correctly b4 installing Ubuntu, or would the nstall of Ubuntu maybe fix these issues?

You said in the opening post your CD/DVD drive along with 2 of 3 harddrives do not appear in the BIOS. When the ICH9R is set to either AHCI or RAID, you will not see any of the drives connected to the orange SATA ports in BIOS and this is normal. The harddrive that did show must have been connected to one of the purple SATA ports associated with the secondary on-board controller. Now that you have the ICH9R set to Disbled, you should be able to see all of your drives, both CD/DVD and harddisks in the BIOS. If not, check to make sure both the power and connections are good on the unseen drive. You could try swapping the power and SATA connection with a drive that is working for troubleshooting purposes. If doing so does not help, it is likely you have a defective drive and RMA is likely the best solution.

And what problem did you experience when trying to setup RAID earlier? Did you have problems setting up the raid in Intel BIOS or when installing the OS?
    QX9650 batch L739A761/ GA-EP45-UD3P/ Kingston KHX9200 4x1G

Quote Originally Posted by gampamu View Post
    You said in the opening post your CD/DVD drive along with 2 of 3 harddrives do not appear in the BIOS. When the ICH9R is set to either AHCI or RAID, you will not see any of the drives connected to the orange SATA ports in BIOS and this is normal. The harddrive that did show must have been connected to one of the purple SATA ports associated with the secondary on-board controller. Now that you have the ICH9R set to Disbled, you should be able to see all of your drives, both CD/DVD and harddisks in the BIOS. If not, check to make sure both the power and connections are good on the unseen drive. You could try swapping the power and SATA connection with a drive that is working for troubleshooting purposes. If doing so does not help, it is likely you have a defective drive and RMA is likely the best solution.

And what problem did you experience when trying to setup RAID earlier? Did you have problems setting up the raid in Intel BIOS or when installing the OS?

I can now see my hard drive and cd rom, BUT the hard drive is working ok, so i swapped it over to my 500 gig drive and windows when installed just does a com,plete roll around and reinstalls it self to first boot then will reinstall again

I set it as raid in the bios it was after installing windows that it did not complete the process and screwed everything up

Windows XP installation on RAID array will fail every time if the RAID drivers are not loaded during the installation. You need to have the RAID drivers ready on a floppy, press F6 at the beginning of the Windows install and then load the RAID drivers when prompted.
    QX9650 batch L739A761/ GA-EP45-UD3P/ Kingston KHX9200 4x1G

i know that now

but why would that stuff hard drives because its wiped the mbr?

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information