Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: GA-EX58-UD5 F8e BIOS Problems....

Default GA-EX58-UD5 F8e BIOS Problems....

Hi All,

Any help with this would be appreciated....

I upgraded from F7 to F8e to get rid of the annoying issue of the CPU fan running at max constantly, I wasn't overly bothered by the slow boot or anything and have only been moderately testing overclocking.

Everything seemed great, applied the bios on friday, computer worked fine all day friday, saturday but then sunday it wouldn't boot. It complained of no system disk and there was a 'tocking' noise coming from the case, which initially sounded like one of the fans was hitting a cable or something. In turned out to be one of my hard drives.

These hard drives are brand new, Samsung F1 Spinpoints which I have always liked and found to be pretty reliable. Unfortunately I had them in Raid 0 configuration so I had to reinstall windows, not a big problem.

So I put in a new disk on it's own to try and diagnose what went wrong and windows 7 would not install, it would no longer find any hard drives, I tried AHCI, RAID and IDE all with native mode on/off (6 combinations in all) and nothing. In the end I tried going back to F7 bios and the drives were detected again, so I have left it with F7.

So the problem is now one of my new drives is trashed (will be RMA'ing with the supplier), the question is was this in anyway related to the bios, was it a freak hard drive failure if so, why the problem trying to reinstall with a new disk (has anyone tried installing afresh with windows 7 after F8e has been applied?), or should I stay on the old bios and await F8 official?

Any advice, help, etc.. would be greatly appreciated.

/DG

Default Re: GA-EX58-UD5 F8e BIOS Problems....

Bump,

someone else must have tried F8e surely?

Hi DaffyG,

I'm sorry to hear about your HDD, but I don't suspect it has anything to do with the BIOS update breaking it.

I'm also using F8e, but the only thing I've encountered is that the JMicron controller won't start in W7 x64 build 7600 if set in AHCI mode. It starts only if I set it in IDE in bios, or if I use an older driver.

Anyway, the issue above is not that' important, since all my hard drives are on the ICH10 ports.

BTW, do you recomend moving some of the drives to the JMicron controller?

I have actually disabled the JMicron controller on the basis that even at Rev B that controller is dreadful, makes the ICH10R look like a dedicated h/w solution IMHO.

I have had the drive replaced now so I am going to retry a fresh install with F8e at the weekend.

:-)

Thread Information