Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Could this be my PSU or my GA-EP45-DS3R?

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Could this be my PSU or my GA-EP45-DS3R?

That beep could have came from your card itself? If you do not have a case speaker connected then there should be no way to hear a beep. I do think you should buy one for sure so you can try to figure this out though. I expected you to get NO Startup with no CPU, as that is the norm, not what you found out so I am not sure what to think.

Here is a case speaker on eBay and a few other places as well in case you do not use eBay
    motherboard speaker, great deals on Computers Networking on eBay!

BestByte.net - Discount Computer Hardware & Reliable Service:

Case/Motherboard Speaker - Speakers

Case/Motherboard Speaker - Speakers

Motherboard Speaker - PcPartsCollection.com

Thanks for those links. I was contemplating about ordering one earlier, but then I thought it's not going to be enough time to analyze the beeps if my system only powers up for a second max. Oh well, I ordered one just now. I'll see what's gonna happen.

Well the beeps you may hear could tell you exactly the issue, so I am glad you ordered one.

In the mean time can you test your components on another setup? If you can please test them one by one of course, until you find the issue.

One second only, really? If so sounds like you may have a short, what heatsink are you using and are you SURE it is not making contact with anything like the motherboard tray or any capacitors, ect on the front side? If you are not sure get your board out of the case and OFF the motherboard tray. Then test with the Minimal hardware and the stock heatsink, that would be CPU/Stock Heatsink, one stick of ram in slot one, and a GFX Card. Nothigng else. If the systems starts up then start adding back things one at a time until you find the issue.

It very well could be a short and I have seen lately a few heatsinks/back plates that can do this
    Last edited by Lsdmeasap; 07-16-2009 at 05:42 PM.

I've already been doing the minimal hardware test with the mobo out. I think I may have to borrow my friend's ram even though I'm pretty sure that my ram is good...and my back-up ram is definitely good. I still want to get a hold of a PCE video card, but I have no idea where to find one...it's like hunting for dinosaurs. Well, the initial power up may have been more than a second, but when it goes in to the power loop, it's definitely less than a second. I'll have to wait and see what kind of beeps it gives when the speaker gets here.

I've seen PCI cards at car boot sales. Boot sales are similar to garage sales in the US but you take you car to a set location and set up shop.

You may also have luck locating one on eBay, but that may take time if it's not on "Buy it Now".

Another PCIe card borrowed from a friend bay be sufficient, as faulty PCIe sockets/lanes are possible but fairly rare.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

I do have a spare Evga 7900GS, but that didn't help. I just found a swap meet near where I live. I'm gonna head there tomorrow and see if get any luck finding a PCI video card.

No old PC's in your attic or basement?

When you say you have done minimal tests with the board out, was this also OFF the motherboard tray? And have you also tried with the stock heatsink to rule out the heatsink shorting issues I mentioned? If you have not done either of those, please try them now as you may find the issue to be a simple short

Nope, all the old stuff had been recycled.

Here's what I meant by minimal hardware test. I had the mobo tray out of the case and put it on top of the anti-static bag. I had everything on the mobo removed...even the battery and let it seat overnight. The next day, I re-inserted the battery and the CPU. I then put one stick on ram (a good one that I borrowed from a friend.) into the DDR2_1 slot. I then put the GFX card back in, and then I connected the necessary cables from the PSU and the case to power the thing up. That's all...no heatsink, no fans, or anything else.

Anyway, I just picked up a S3 salvage PCI card from the swap meet. I hope the card still works. I'm still waiting for the mobo speaker in the meanwhile.

Okay, I have all the parts now. The mobo speaker just arrived. I tested the S3 Salvage PCI card I brought at the swap meet in my other system and it worked great.
    So, I have a good PCI video card, 7 sticks of ram including 1 that I borrowed directly from my friend's PC, and 3 different PSUs, and a mobo speaker for the minimal hardware test. Well, I get the same power loop.

Hmmm...this mobo speaker I got doesn't make beeping sound, it makes ticking sound. I made sure I plugged in the speaker right...like positive to positive. Anyway, I got 1 tick when I turned on the power button, then it gave me 2 short ticks before it powered itself off. When it powered itself back on again, I got another 2 short ticks and the power died again. I get another 2 short ticks the next time it powered itself up and so on. According to the manual, 2 short (beeps) ticks mean there's error in CMOS. I've already cleared the CMOS with the full 20 minutes jumper method. I've also tried to clear it with the battery out for the full 24 hours. There has to be something wrong with the board, right? I pretty tried all the methods suggested. Anyone has a better explanation?

I've got a couple of speakers that make clicks too. Every brand I have seems to make a slightly different noise.

I'm certainly at a loss as to what is happening. Unless Lsdmeasap has any more suggestions I would try one last thing before considering an RMA. Find a jumper from an olf HDD or optical drive and connect the clear cmos pins with it. Now remove the battery and wait as long as possible, over night again if you like. If that doesn't help then nothing else will as far as the CMOS is concerned. A tech will be able to either flash the BIOS directly, bypassing the need for QFlash etc, or physically replace the BIOS chips.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information