Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Could this be my PSU or my GA-EP45-DS3R?

Default Could this be my PSU or my GA-EP45-DS3R?

Here's my spec:

PSU: Antec 500 Earthwatts
    MOBO: GA-EP45-DS3R - F10
    Ram: Crucial Ballistix ddr2 (8 gigs)
    CPU: Q6600
    GPU: Evga Geforce 9800gt
    Zalman 9700led PCU cooler

No OC'ed.

I'm been having random reboots on my system every now and then. My system just reboots by itself out of the blue as if someone just pulled the plug and put it back in. It even happens when I'm not doing anything and have no apps or games running. This morning, I got a BSOD so I rebooted it my system, but it hung at Vista loading screen. Then I rebooted it again and this time I got a BSOD during boot up. So, I rebooted it one more time, but this time my system powered down very soon after I turned the power on. It just powered off before it even got to the BIOS screen. It would power on for half a second and dies, and then it would attempt to power itself back on again for half a second and dies again. It would do that in an endless cycle until I manually turn off the power.

Here's what I've done:

I pulled out all the ram sticks and tried one stick at a time, and I also tried the ram from my other system...that didn't work.

I pulled out the Geforce 9800gt and put in my old Geforce 7900gs from my other system and that didn't work...btw, the 9800gt runs fine on my other system.

I took the Antec 500 Earthwatts out and hooked it up to my other old system and it powered up fine. The only thing I didn't do here is hooking up my current system with the PSU from my old system is because the PSU from my old system doesn't have the 8 pins connector for the GA-EP45-DS3R.

Right now, I have everything unplugged and only connect the PSU to the board and the graphic card...still no luck.

Does it sound like I have a dying PSU (it powers up fine on my other older system...this older system doesn't need a lot of juice to power it up, though.) or my GA-EP45-DS3R is out? Will clearing CMOS do anything?

Any help is appreciated,

Ben
    Last edited by bennyu; 07-15-2009 at 01:19 AM. Reason: i meant to say "endless cycle" instead of "end cycle".

Default Re: Could this be my PSU or my GA-EP45-DS3R?

Almost certainly the PSU.

I took the Antec 500 Earthwatts out and hooked it up to my other old system and it powered up fine. The only thing I didn't do here is hooking up my current system with the PSU from my old system is because the PSU from my old system doesn't have the 8 pins connector for the GA-EP45-DS3R.
    You can still use the PSU's 4pin connector on your board. the extra 4pins are not required.

anyways, I doubt it's the PSU's fault. My money is on the RAM, especially since it's 8gb.

Core2Duo E8500 E0 @4.25GHz (500x8.5)
    | Windows 7 RC Build 7100 | Visiontek HD4850 OC 685/1100
    Gigabyte
    GA-EP45T-DS3R | 4Gb (2x2Gb) 1333MHz Patriot DDR3 | 1.14TB (640+500gb) WDC Green
    Antec Earthwatts 500w |
    Antec Nine Hundred
    Screenshots:
    [1][2][3][4][5][6]

Quote Originally Posted by creamsoda View Post
    You can still use the PSU's 4pin connector on your board. the extra 4pins are not required.

anyways, I doubt it's the PSU's fault. My money is on the RAM, especially since it's 8gb.
    Are you sure it's the ram? I already tried to test them at one stick at a time, and I also tried it with some Kingston ddr2 ram that I have, but still no luck.

I'll hook up the PSU with the 4pin connector to it and see if it boots up or not. Thanks.

Are you sure it's the ram? I already tried to test them at one stick at a time, and I also tried it with some Kingston ddr2 ram that I have, but still no luck.
    It could also be your harddrive.. you might wanna put in a different harddrive to see if it solves the problem. (also, make sure AHCI is disabled.. and maybe disable RAID 0 too)
    Last edited by creamsoda; 07-15-2009 at 01:43 AM.

Gigabyte
    Antec Earthwatts 500w |
    Antec Nine Hundred
    Screenshots:
    [1][2][3][4][5][6]

Quote Originally Posted by creamsoda View Post
    It could also be your harddrive.. you might wanna put in a different harddrive to see if it solves the problem. (also, make sure AHCI is disabled.. and maybe disable RAID 0 too)
    I can't even get into POST. I wish I could see the settings in BIOS. The problem I'm having is that the power of my system dies as soon as I turn it on. When I press the power button to turn on my system, the fans spin and the mobo lights up for about half a second, and then everything shuts off...lights out. After about 1 second, it would power itself on again for another half a second and everything shuts off again. It would do that over and over until I manually turn it off.

Remove the PSU's power cord. Then remove the cmos battery for 1 minute. It will reset all of your BIOS settings back to default.

Gigabyte
    Antec Earthwatts 500w |
    Antec Nine Hundred
    Screenshots:
    [1][2][3][4][5][6]

Ok, I cleared the CMOS with Lsd's method...it's still doing the power on/off loop. I hooked it up with another PSU and it gave me the same result. So, my PSU is good, my RAM is good, and my video card is also good. What else could be cause other than the Mobo?

why don't u just remove the cmos battery for 1 minute like I told u? o_0

Gigabyte
    Antec Earthwatts 500w |
    Antec Nine Hundred
    Screenshots:
    [1][2][3][4][5][6]

It could still be a PSU problem. The supply from your old system may be woefully inadequate for the new one. With the power demands of new generation computers a good quality and powerful PSU is extremely important.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information