Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Teaming and Bridging...?

Default Re: Teaming and Bridging...?

Quote Originally Posted by mv2devnull View Post
    Teaming, aka bonding, is indeed for adding bandwidth or redundancy. Again, you will have one logical connection between two network devices, but more than one cable. The traffic can be spread over all cables to get more throughput, or only one line is used and other is in reserve, should the used one break down. Both ends of the connection have to support the same mode of teaming, and there are multiple modes to choose from.
    So, this would help me then. Situation example. I am online, playing LotRo, have a browser open too with a few pages open. My wife is sitting next to me on the other desktop and she wants to grab some photos off my secondary HDD to edit on that desktop. By TEAMING I wouldn't experience any lag because I have a "fatter pipe" to my router - which is hooked to the modem - allowing for my game and browser information to pass to the internet and the media files to pass through the network.

I started thinking about it specifically because I would notice that when my wife would be working on the laptop or other desktop and send a print job out, it would bog down my connection for a short period (2 - 15 secs). I don't want to set up a print server for ~$80 when I could TEAM for the cost of another 6' Ethernet Cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex St. John
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Chike is offline Senior Member

Quote Originally Posted by grishkafool View Post
    I don't want to set up a print server for ~$80 when I could TEAM for the cost of another 6' Ethernet Cable.
    The question is, does your router supports teaming?
    Even the network driver suppots it it can only balance outgoing traffic, to balance incoming traffic you need the switch to support it, and then it will reduce traffic only by half.
    If your router is a 100Mbps switch, not teaming is going to help you, the switch is the battleneck.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    The question is, does your router supports teaming?
    Even the network driver suppots it it can only balance outgoing traffic, to balance incoming traffic you need the switch to support it, and then it will reduce traffic only by half.
    If your router is a 100Mbps switch, not teaming is going to help you, the switch is the battleneck.
    Ok. So, time to get out the manual for my router and see what its throughput is limited to. Thanks.
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Switches can usually handle inside more than the port speed. It would make no sense to have four 100 Mbs ports and not be able to have two pairs of computers communicate simultaneously (requires 200 Mbs inside the switch).

Further consider that the modem behind the router is limited to what? 1 Mbs, 8 Mbs, 24 Mbs? So only a fraction of what the router can put through is ever used by the "WAN" connection. Thus, there should be still 70+ Mbs for the LAN traffic.

Now, if OS on PC has trouble with two simultaneous connections ...
    Actually, it might be the disk access.

There is one more method, besides teaming. Might be hard to set up though and logically "messy". Set the second NIC as different address. Route to LAN through that NIC. Route to WAN via the first NIC. Set the other machines to use the second, "to LAN", address. I have no idea how/if one can set the routing like that on Windows.

Chike is offline Senior Member

There is one more method, besides teaming. Might be hard to set up though and logically "messy". Set the second NIC as different address. Route to LAN through that NIC. Route to WAN via the first NIC. Set the other machines to use the second, "to LAN", address. I have no idea how/if one can set the routing like that on Windows.
    This perheps be done with differemt IP to each of the NICs and a routing table that routs LAN traffic to one port and WAN traffic to the other.
    But only if you have high LAN traffic you will need this.
    I thought just the same :-)

I donn't know how it's done in windows but should be possible.

Switches can usually handle inside more than the port speed. It would make no sense to have four 100 Mbs ports and not be able to have two pairs of computers communicate simultaneously (requires 200 Mbs inside the switch).

Further consider that the modem behind the router is limited to what? 1 Mbs, 8 Mbs, 24 Mbs? So only a fraction of what the router can put through is ever used by the "WAN" connection. Thus, there should be still 70+ Mbs for the LAN traffic.

Now, if OS on PC has trouble with two simultaneous connections ...
    Actually, it might be the disk access.

I have a 10Mb/1Mb Broadband connection, the Modem can handle more than that though - it is the same modem that the provider uses for their 30Mb service. My router is only 10/100, but, yes, it does have 4 ports... and I understand your reasoning there, it can handle the traffic. But, it is only a 10/100 router. I am definitely going to try this, though, when I buy a new router that it 10/100/1000, mu wa ha ha.

As for setting the routing up, I am pretty sure that I can do that internally in the Router; I will have to check for sure next week when I get home from vacation.

Best Quote Ever...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information