Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How Do I Get the Standard Speed From GA-EP45T-UD3LR?

Default How Do I Get the Standard Speed From GA-EP45T-UD3LR?

I have a GA-EP45T-UD3LR rev. 1.0 with the F5 BIOS, an Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, and four 2 GB OCZ DDR3 (PC3 14400) SDRAM that I just set up running Ubuntu 9.04.

The system boots and runs rock solid with the default BIOS settings, but I noticed the BIOS only reported a clock speed of 2.83 GHz and an FSB of 1066 MHz. The E8400 is supposed to be 3 GHz with a 1333 FSB. A look in the BIOS showed it was auto-detecting a clock ratio of 8 plus 0.5, which explained the 2.83, and the CPU Host Frequency was only set to 266.

I now have it running fine with a clock speed of 3.0 GHz by setting the CPU clock ratio to 9. I set the CPU host frequency to 333 to get the 1333 MHz FSB, and that, too seems to be working.

The problem is that the RAM, which according to Gigabyte's site is certified for this board, is supposed to run at up to 1600 MHz (according to OCZ), so I thought it would be no problem to run it at 1333 MHz. I set Performance Enhance to "Standard," (G)MCH frequency latch to 333, and System Memory Multiplier to "4.00B" to try to get that 1333 MHz. However, when I try to boot the machine it posts fine and Linux loads grub but when it should display the log-in screen I get just a black screen.

The sticky on memory talks about this series of board requiring more voltage for more than 2 GB of RAM, but I didn't see any specific recommendations about 8 GB of RAM and I'm a total noob at this so I didn't want to experiment with the voltages on my own.

Stability and reliability--and not voiding my warranty--are more important than blazing speed, but I would like to get the memory running as fast as the FSB so I'm getting all the performance I can without causing instability.

Can someone give me some guidance on what settings to use to get this working?

Default Re: How Do I Get the Standard Speed From GA-EP45T-UD3LR?

At stock clocks it should run fine with 8GB RAM. However, with a 4B strap I believe that you will need to nudge your MCH Core some.

Please fill out the attached form with your current BIOS settings. Include what you can about the memory timings too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex St. John
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Quote Originally Posted by grishkafool View Post
    At stock clocks it should run fine with 8GB RAM. However, with a 4B strap I believe that you will need to nudge your MCH Core some.

Please fill out the attached form with your current BIOS settings. Include what you can about the memory timings too.
    Thanks for the quick reply. Here is the form with what I could see in the BIOS filled in. Most of the settings are still set at Auto, but I included the values so you can see where things are:

CPU = Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0 GHz 1333 MHz FSB
    Motherboard = GA-EP45T-UD3LR
    BIOS Version = F5
    Ram = 8 GB (2 GB X 4) OCZ (model OCZ3N1800SR4GK) PC3 14400 1.9v DDR3 SDRAM

MB Intelligent Tweaker(M.I.T.)
    Robust Graphics Booster ...............: Auto
    CPU Clock Ratio .............................: 9 X
    Fine CPU Clock Ratio.....................: 0.0
    CPU Frequency ..............................: 3.00 GHz (333 x 9)

Clock Chip Control
    Standard Clock Control
    CPU Host Clock Control..................: Enabled
    CPU Host Frequency (Mhz) ............: 333
    PCI Express Frequency (Mhz) .........: Auto

DRAM Performance Control
    Performance Enhance...................: Turbo
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Don't have this one.
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: Auto
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: Auto
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1066 1066
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: Auto

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................: 7 (Auto)
    tRCD .............................................: 7 (Auto)
    tRP............................................... ..: 7 (Auto)
    tRAS.............................................. : 16 (Auto)

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................: 4 (Auto)
    tWTR..........................................: 4 (Auto)
    tWR............................................: 8 (Auto)
    tRFC...........................................: 60 (Auto)
    tRTP...........................................: 4 (Auto)
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................: 0 (Auto)

Channel A
    Static tRead Value.........................: Don't have this one.
    Channel B
    Static tRead Value.........................: Don't have this one.

Motherboard Voltage Control
    CPU
    CPU Vcore.................................: 1.30000V (Auto)
    CPU Termination..... ...............: 1.200V (Auto)
    CPU PLL...........: 1.550V (Auto)
    CPU Referen................: 0,805V (Auto)

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core................: 1.100V (Auto)
    MCH Reference..............: 0.760V (Auto)
    MCH/DRAM Ref.....................: Don't have this one.
    ICH I/O.................: 1.550V (Auto)
    ICH Core..............: 1.100V (Auto)

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ................: 1.500V (Auto)
    DRAM Termination .............: 0.750V (Auto)
    Channel A Reference ............: Don't have this one.
    Channel B Reference ............: Don't have this one.

Performance Enhance...................: Turbo <--- Change to Standard
    Extreme Memory Profile (X.M.P.).....: Don't have this one.
    (G)MCH Frequency Latch...............: Auto
    System Memory Multiplier ..............: Auto < Manual and set to 4.ooB
    Memory Frequency (Mhz) ..............: 1066 1066
    DRAM Timing Selectable ................: Auto < Manual

Standard Timing Control
    CAS Latency Time........................: 7 (Auto) < 8
    tRCD .............................................: 7 (Auto) < 8
    tRP............................................... ..: 7 (Auto) < 8
    tRAS.............................................. : 16 (Auto) < 27

Advanced Timing Control
    tRRD...........................................: 4 (Auto)
    tWTR..........................................: 4 (Auto)
    tWR............................................: 8 (Auto)
    tRFC...........................................: 60 (Auto) < 65
    tRTP...........................................: 4 (Auto)
    Command Rate (CMD) ....................: 0 (Auto) < 2

Motherboard Voltage Control
    CPU
    CPU Vcore.................................: 1.30000V (Auto) < This is high for stock, what is the number to the left of it?
    CPU Termination..... ...............: 1.200V (Auto)
    CPU PLL...........: 1.550V (Auto)
    CPU Referen................: 0,805V (Auto)

MCH/ICH
    MCH Core................: 1.100V (Auto)
    MCH Reference..............: 0.760V (Auto)
    MCH/DRAM Ref.....................: Don't have this one.
    ICH I/O.................: 1.550V (Auto)
    ICH Core..............: 1.100V (Auto)

DRAM
    DRAM Voltage ................: 1.500V (Auto) < 1.9v
    DRAM Termination .............: 0.750V (Auto)
    Channel A Reference ............: Don't have this one.
    Channel B Reference ............: Don't have this one.
    Keep in mind that I don't have much experience with DDR3, but,

Some observations

First, did you Load Optimized Defaults? If not, in BIOS go to the MIT page and do so.

Second, according to OCZ your timings should be 8-8-8-27. Consult OCZ's site if you want find out what the other timings (tRRD et al...)should be... but for now leave them on AUTO. Your DRAM should be 1.9v too. With 8GB your tRFC needs to be a tad higher than what it is, maybe even as high as 72 or so.

Your vCore is a little high for an E8400 at stock. What is the VID for it? That should be the number on the left of the number you showed, it is gray.

So, first off, go to MIT and Load Optimized Defaults. Then make the changes to the timings and the Memory Strap. Change Performance Enhance to Standard. You should see 8-8-8-27 with a 1334 Memory Speed. Then Save and Exit and see what happens. After that, if it loads to windows, have a beer, or something. Changing the vCore is up to you.

Are you going to get into overclocking once you get things running smooth?

I must tell you that I am jealous though, I wish I had bought the EP45T, I would love to push my Memory to 1600MHz...
    Consider for a moment that what we think of as “intelligence” is the byproduct of a computing architecture that depends on massive parallelism to interact with the world in real time without stalling for progress bars. If our ancestors’ brains had depended on running Vista on current dual-core processors for their survival, they would have been eaten by bears.

Best Quote Ever...
    Obey the one and only rule without question when you overclock.... don't cause a fire. Fires are hot and burny... not good.
    Intel E8400 EO@445x9--Gigabyte EP45-UD3P v1.1 ~ F9--EVGA 9800GT @ 700/1750/1100--8GB Gskill 1066

Chike is offline Senior Member

grishkafool was quicker :-)

Start leaving the Advanced Timing Control on auto as they depend on Memory Frequency.

Quote Originally Posted by Chike View Post
    grishkafool was quicker :-)

Start leaving the Advanced Timing Control on auto as they depend on Memory Frequency.
    For now....

Best Quote Ever...

As well as the advice above, don't get pre-occupied with as you say "get[ing] the memory running as fast as the FSB". There is no performance advantage to this. Setting a 4.00 multi means the actual RAM clock is running twice as fast as the actual FSB clock.

Concentrate of course on getting your RAM running as close to the maximum rated speed as possible. Note that to achieve the max rated speed of your kit, you need to run a 450MHz FSB with the same 4.00 multiplier(pay no attention to the larger FSB quoted speeds such as 1333, they're quad pumped and "fictional" numbers).

Anything over DDR3-1333 on a 333 FSB CPU is only possible by overclocking. The only way to get DDR3-1600 "natively" ie without overclocking is on a QX9770, which has a stock FSB of 400MHz. RAM speed on a Core 2 CPU makes very little difference as the whole architecture is dedicated to not relying on RAM bandwidth for its performance.

The only real benefit to high speed DDR3 kits comes with Core i7, where the exact same modules in tripple channel can of course have a bandwidth increase of over 1/3, and the CPU is able to take advantage of all that bandwidth.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    RAM speed on a Core 2 CPU makes very little difference as the whole architecture is dedicated to not relying on RAM bandwidth for its performance.

The only real benefit to high speed DDR3 kits comes with Core i7, where the exact same modules in tripple channel can of course have a bandwidth increase of over 1/3, and the CPU is able to take advantage of all that bandwidth.
    Agree totally. Like I said, sometimes I wish that I had gone with the 45T so that I could run faster RAM speeds with my higher over clocks. Other than that, it doesn't matter and ideally, if you can get your RAM running at 1333 to match your stock 1333 FSB on your CPU, well, there is harmony in synergy.

Best Quote Ever...

You guys ROCK!

I'm really impressed with the speed and quality of the replies. Thanks so much.

I hadn't loaded the optimized defaults in MIT, so that's the first thing I did. Then I went through grishkafool's recommendations and did the following:

1. Performance Enhance -> Standard
    2. System Memory Multiplier -> manual, 4.00B
    3. DRAM Timing Selectable -> manual
    4. CAS Latency Time -> 8
    5. tRCD -> 8
    6. tRP -> 8
    7. tRAS -> 27
    8. I left the Advanced Timing Control tRFC at 60 - Auto and the Command Rate at 0 - Auto for now as Chike and grishkafool recommended.
    9. DRAM Voltage ->1.9V

It booted up fine after saving those settings. So far, so good. I'll have to try it over the next few days to confirm that's it's still as stable as it was.

The CPU Vcore set at Auto shows 1.30000V to the left.

I'm really only aiming for a speed of 1333 for the RAM as I tried to say in the original post, not 1600 as the memory supports, but maybe I wasn't clear. My understanding is that matching the RAM speed to the FSB of the CPU, along with achieving harmony, is the optimum balance of performance and stability, correct? Isn't that what the setting above will achieve on this board?

Yeppers. However, I do recommend raising your tRFC to 65 at minimum for 8GB of RAM. In my case, I was eventually lower it to 55 after lots of testing and tweaking, but I started at 72 on the suggestion of Lsdmeasap.

Since you are leaving things at stock, CPU-wise, you shouldn't need to do too much stability testing; but I would recommend doing some to test out your tweaks on the memory straps. Try out Prime95... Blends maybe... not sure how long you should run it for though, as I never use Blend tests for clock stability...

Oh, and you are Welcome...

Best Quote Ever...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information