Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Problem with GV-NX86T512H (NViDIA 8600GT Silent)

Question Problem with GV-NX86T512H (NViDIA 8600GT Silent)

Hi

I have a GV-NX86T512H which behaves in a weird way. Boot is dependant on PSU!

I have two Corsair 400CX 8oplus certifies PSUs, two low-quality Shaw PSUs, one 550W and one 720W and one other PSU (Aspire, 420W). When I insert my GV-NX86T512H in my system it does not boot (no image on monitor even) if I use the Corsair PSUs or the unknown 430W one. If I however use one of the Shaw PSUs it boots alright. I also have a PCI-card that shows BIOS boot sequence diagnostics and when the system does not boot it always hangs on the code for video card initialization. The Corsair PSUs are the newest ones and they are working flawlessly in other systems, one also with a 8600GT (but from ASUS) in it.

Any ideas?? What can I do? Anyone else seen or heard of the problem???

Please do *NOT* just give me the short "need more watts in your PSU"-answer. :) See post #3 below. It seems this is a common misconception and at the moment when I measure the power usage at the wall socket my system draws between 80 and 100W depending on PSU.

Cheers!
    Last edited by FreddyAV; 07-17-2009 at 07:48 PM.

Default Re: Problem with GV-NX86T512H (NViDIA 8600GT Silent)

Tried one more PSU: an old QTec 450W PSU and with that one the machine boots fine.

It now seems that the low-quality (and older) PSUs make the computer boot, but the newer of higher quality does not???? Could this have anything to do with varying ATX versions of PSUs? Does anyone know anything about this???

See here for one guy using the GB 8600GT 512Mb card with a 300W PSU and one other using it with a 380W PSU if you think it is a "too low wattage"-thing.

Please help!

I just borrowed a PSU at work and took it home. It is rated 300W and with that one the system boots OK.

Also inserted the GPU into a system with a 700W PSU and it too booted fine.

Any ideas?

this is definitely not a wattage issue. I completely agree with you that some people seem to think you need a mini fusion reactor to power a mid end PC.

It has been known for there to be compatibility problems between a certain PSU and motherboard.

One thing that may prevent the PC from powering up correctly is the amount of amperage the +5VSB rail is able to handle. I've used the CX in builds myself, and like many lower capacity Corsair units, it has 2.5A max on the +5VSB. This in of itself isn't the issue as it should be more than enough currnt, however check the rating on this rail on the PSU's that successfully boot the system. If the "good" units are all consistently rated higher on this rail it may be the source of the problem.

Do either of the Corsair's boot the system if you use another GPU?

It's difficult to diagnose this kind of problem as it could be GFX to PSU incompatibility, mobo to PSU compatibility, or there could be another unknown cause. If the PSU were modular I'd recommend swapping connectors around at the PSU end to eliminate a potential over current situation on one rail. As the wires are captive and there is only one nice, perfectly adequate, 30A rail, this isn't possible.

Sorry if this isn't useful, but sometimes the only solution in these cases is trying alternative PSU's until you get one that works. A couple of posts on here, one with an X58 board I believe had to order 4 different brands of PSU before he found one that worked.

***Edit: The rig in my sig runs perfectly happy on a 400W OCZ PSU, although it is a little near the limit. I only bought such a large capacity supply so as to remin in the efficiency "sweet spot" at full load meaning a quieter fan. I also now have room to go Crossfire and the chance of using the unit in my next 2-3 upgrades (I only do complete mobo, RAM and CPU upgrades really, no swapping and changing the same architecture as a rule).
    Last edited by Psycho101; 07-18-2009 at 05:45 AM.
    Coolermaster CM 690 II advance Case
    Corsair HX750 (CWT, 91%(80+ Gold rated @230V) single 62A 12V rail
    P55A-UD4 v2.0 @ F14
    Core i5 760 @ 20 x 201, 4.02GHz
    TRUE Black with a single Noctua NF-P12 pumping out 55 CFM @ 19db .
    2 x 2GB Mushkin Ridgeback (996902), @ 7-10-8-27, 2010-DDR, 1.66v
    2 x Gigabyte GTX 460 1024MB in SLI (Pre OC'd to 715MHz core and 1800MHz VRAM) @ 850 Core / 4100 Mem.
    Intel X25-M Boot Drive (OS and Programs) 200MB/s Read & 90MB/s Write
    Corsair X32 200MB/s Read & 100MB/s Write
    WD Caviar Blue 640GB C (Steam, Games, Storage, Temp Files & Folders, etc)
    Samsung F3 500GB Backup/Images
    Noctua 1300RPM 19dB case fan (rear extraction)
    3 x 140 MM Coolermaster LED fans (one front intake, one top extraction, one side intake)
    Dell Ultra Sharp 2209WAf E-IPS @ 1680x1050

Thanks for your answer! Please see comments on your questions below.:)

Quote Originally Posted by Psycho101 View Post
    One thing that may prevent the PC from powering up correctly is the amount of amperage the +5VSB rail is able to handle. I've used the CX in builds myself, and like many lower capacity Corsair units, it has 2.5A max on the +5VSB. This in of itself isn't the issue as it should be more than enough currnt, however check the rating on this rail on the PSU's that successfully boot the system. If the "good" units are all consistently rated higher on this rail it may be the source of the problem.
    Checking three of the PSUs that actually make it POST with a video signal I see they are marked with 2A and (two of them) 3A (peak on one) on the +5VSB rail.

Do either of the Corsair's boot the system if you use another GPU?
    Short answer: Yes.

Longer one:
    I have the following PSUs:
    P1) Shaw 720W
    P2) Shaw 550W
    P3) Q-tec 450W
    P4) AOpen 300W
    P5) (2 pieces, call'em "a" and "b") Corsair 400CX, 400W
    P6) Aspire 420W
    I have the following GPUs:
    G1) 8600GT 512Mb Silent (Gigabyte)
    G2) 8600GT 512Mb Silent (ASUS)
    G3) 7300GT 256Mb Silent (MSI)
    I have the following motherboards:
    M1) P35-DS4
    M2) P35-S3L
    M3) Abit AB9 Pro
    M4) Jetway Atom330 GM-1 (has a PCIe x1, but I have a PCIe x1 => x16 adapter)

I have tried the following combinations:

For G1:
    P5a/P5b/P6 + M1 => no video, no POST
    P1/P2/P3/P4 + M2 => POST OK
    P5a/P5b/P6 + M2 => no video, no POST
    P2/P3 + M3 => POST OK
    P5a/P5b + M3 => no video, no POST
    P1 + M4 => POST OK
    P5a + M4 => no video, no POST

For G2:
    P5a/P5b + M1 => POST OK
    P2/P5b + M2 => POST OK

For G3:
    same as G1 above but all POST OK.

It's difficult to diagnose this kind of problem as it could be GFX to PSU incompatibility, mobo to PSU compatibility, or there could be another unknown cause. If the PSU were modular I'd recommend swapping connectors around at the PSU end to eliminate a potential over current situation on one rail. As the wires are captive and there is only one nice, perfectly adequate, 30A rail, this isn't possible.
    Yeah, I kind of, for a moment, suspected the -5V rail since the Corsairs don't have one. Then I noticed (and measured) the Aspire one having -5V so that rules that out. Now I'm at the point where I'm pondering wheter or not to try all the PSUs with the 7300 and go into BIOS and note all the visible voltages from the PSU in a spread-sheet. I don't know...

Sorry if this isn't useful, but sometimes the only solution in these cases is trying alternative PSU's until you get one that works. A couple of posts on here, one with an X58 board I believe had to order 4 different brands of PSU before he found one that worked.
    No reason to apologize. :)

***Edit: The rig in my sig runs perfectly happy on a 400W OCZ PSU, although it is a little near the limit. I only bought such a large capacity supply so as to remin in the efficiency "sweet spot" at full load meaning a quieter fan. I also now have room to go Crossfire and the chance of using the unit in my next 2-3 upgrades (I only do complete mobo, RAM and CPU upgrades really, no swapping and changing the same architecture as a rule).
    Yeah, that's kind of my thing too. I want a 80+ PSU (only the Corsairs above) together with a silent GPU... All the other PSUs are very low efficiency and/or quite noisy.

Any more input is definately welcome!

Thread Information